Local Media starting to turn on Napier: Spurrier speaks

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
“There’s a feeling around the Gators of ‘what the heck are we doing?’ There’s a lot of questions that I don’t have the answers to about organization,” said Spurrier. “Just because you hire the most people doesn’t mean you’re going to win. All these extra people, I question how much that really helps.
“Billy [Napier] is a good guy who works his tail off. I like Billy, good family man. But we do wish the organization was a little bit more tidy.”
Glad somebody with credibility said it. It's extremely unusual for a team to hire coaches to coach coaches. I'm curious, although it doesn't matter now, if our departed secondary and DL coaches were fired or walked.

Does anyone know if STs coach Joe Houston made it to Gville? I do not see him listed as a coach.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When the GOAT Brand Ambassador rolls Tater under the bus to the media, the end is surely near.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When the GOAT Brand Ambassador rolls Tater under the bus to the media, the end is surely near.
That was my first thought... At the very least that was SOS telling Billy he better get his sh!t together. That's best best-case scenario... Either way, it's not good for Billy when the Head Ball Coach and current UF ambassador calls you out like that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Remember Napier has instructed his staff to unfollow and remove access from any media that is critical of the staff...... so how they going to remove the HBC?

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
HE DOESNT REALIZE THAT SIMPLE BILL IS BUILDING SOMETHING BLOCK BY BLOCK

and he has raised the average rating by one tenth of a point!!!!!
House Of Cards Cats GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
“What the heck are we doing?”

Carries a lot of weight when SOS says it out loud. But be honest…who HASN’T said that during these past two seasons? And if we’re really being honest you’ve done it in multiple games, multiple times during those games most likely. This also holds true with the majority of the head-scratching cavalcade of staff moves and assignments/not assignments.

Whether or not Billy is a good man and a hard worker is simply immaterial at this point after two losing seasons. To quote a line from Band of Brothers…”That Dog ain’t gonna hunt!” No way, no how. And as much as we wanted Billy to succeed from the outset, two plus years of doing the same things that led to the two losing records doesn‘t spell MIRACULOUS TURNAROUND to the majority. Failing to learn about and implement a plan to successfully take greater advantage of positions of dire need from the portal can’t be accepted as just another “that’s on US to get this fixed“ moment, especially when our rivals and/or conference members are leaving us in the dust. All that’s just too hard to swallow…again.

If there’s a caveat remaining, and how big a one depends on your individual balance of hope and reality, but that’s the potential impact Lagway can have. I think physically and from a “follow my example” standpoint, he can be a difference-maker. But to what extent when the OL has been problematic to say the least? When a horizontal passing attack has been a dominant offensive feature. When the schedule for the upcoming season is HARD AS HELL! When one of his biggest weapons, his legs, can lead him into contact opportunities that have a high chance of a negative cumulative effect as the season progresses. When the defense hasn’t been able to tackle or stop opponents consistently. That’s asking a lot even for a great high school player, yet there is a possibility. I, like every other Gator wants DJ to not only be successful, but also to stick around. For those things to happen, Billy has got to at some point really soon say “What the heck am “I” doing?” And then stop trying to drive his square pegs into the round holes, clean up the mistakes EVERY game and play to SCORE offensively and shti-can this ball/clock control fantasy that is not as important in the modern game, especially with an overall D that leaks like a sieve. It’s POSSIBLE, but I remain unconvinced until Billy stops doing what Billy has done CONSISTENTLY.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It must turn Steves stomach to see the heaping pile of dung he has to sit through while at games anymore...Sorry to say it again and again but the fate of Karl and Stricklin will be known by the first or second week in October.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Remember Napier has instructed his staff to unfollow and remove access from any media that is critical of the staff...... so how they going to remove the HBC?
Wouldn't be suprised if his statue comes down, now

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
“What the heck are we doing?”

Carries a lot of weight when SOS says it out loud. But be honest…who HASN’T said that during these past two seasons? And if we’re really being honest you’ve done it in multiple games, multiple times during those games most likely. This also holds true with the majority of the head-scratching cavalcade of staff moves and assignments/not assignments.

Whether or not Billy is a good man and a hard worker is simply immaterial at this point after two losing seasons. To quote a line from Band of Brothers…”That Dog ain’t gonna hunt!” No way, no how. And as much as we wanted Billy to succeed from the outset, two plus years of doing the same things that led to the two losing records doesn‘t spell MIRACULOUS TURNAROUND to the majority. Failing to learn about and implement a plan to successfully take greater advantage of positions of dire need from the portal can’t be accepted as just another “that’s on US to get this fixed“ moment, especially when our rivals and/or conference members are leaving us in the dust. All that’s just too hard to swallow…again.

If there’s a caveat remaining, and how big a one depends on your individual balance of hope and reality, but that’s the potential impact Lagway can have. I think physically and from a “follow my example” standpoint, he can be a difference-maker. But to what extent when the OL has been problematic to say the least? When a horizontal passing attack has been a dominant offensive feature. When the schedule for the upcoming season is HARD AS HELL! When one of his biggest weapons, his legs, can lead him into contact opportunities that have a high chance of a negative cumulative effect as the season progresses. When the defense hasn’t been able to tackle or stop opponents consistently. That’s asking a lot even for a great high school player, yet there is a possibility. I, like every other Gator wants DJ to not only be successful, but also to stick around. For those things to happen, Billy has got to at some point really soon say “What the heck am “I” doing?” And then stop trying to drive his square pegs into the round holes, clean up the mistakes EVERY game and play to SCORE offensively and shti-can this ball/clock control fantasy that is not as important in the modern game, especially with an overall D that leaks like a sieve. It’s POSSIBLE, but I remain unconvinced until Billy stops doing what Billy has done CONSISTENTLY.
This is my favorite post ever from Cover. It says a lot and I agree with it all.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It must turn Steves stomach to see the heaping pile of dung he has to sit through while at games anymore...Sorry to say it again and again but the fate of Karl and Stricklin will be known by the first or second week in October.

Agree that it has to bother him. But I don’t need to see Marianne Williamson get 7 votes in the next primary to know she won t be president at this point next year. This Spurrier line is a final nail.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Jeebus. SOS's comment made more people bust a nut in here than a mountain of prostitutes could.

Quicker we get rid of dead weight, the quicker we have a shot at getting back. And to @Slug ’s concern, Stricklin and his boss have about as much chance at picking the next coach as you and I. Today’s “Don’t Hire Stupid People” initiative at UF should tell you all you need to know.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Quicker we get rid of dead weight, the quicker we have a shot at getting back.
Yeah, we said that for the Chimp, Butters and Mullenz. Hell, Butters would still be roaming our sideline if he hadn't forced his way out with a monstrous lie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator