LSU Tigers vs. Florida Gators Complete Game Preview

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
LSU Tigers vs. Florida Gators Complete Game Preview

By Carter Bryant, Featured Columnist Oct 6, 2014
LSU and Florida have average football teams in 2014. For the first time in the Les Miles era, the two traditional powerhouses will meet with both teams unranked.
What You Need to Know
Time: 6:30 p.m. CT
Place: Ben-Hill Griffin Stadium; Gainesville, Florida
TV: SEC Network
Radio: LSU Sports Radio Network, Gators IMG Sports Network
Spread: LSU by 1, via Oddsshark.com

LSU Keys to the Game

Stop the Run
LSU will not win a game this season if its defense does not improve. The Tigers are last in the conference in run defense, allowing 300 yards per game on the ground against SEC opposition.
Florida workhorse running back Matt Jones is averaging more than 100 yards per game on the ground in conference play. LSU must load up to stop Jones and make the Gators beat them through the air.

Find a Quarterback and Stick with Him
LSU freshman quarterback Brandon Harris had a rough starting debut against Auburn. Harris was 3-of-14 for 58 yards and also suffered an ankle sprain.
Sophomore Anthony Jennings took over in the third quarter and was an average 5-of-10 for 84 yards. Jennings started the previous four games for LSU.
Miles must find the leader of his team. If not, the Tigers offense will continue to struggle against powerful SEC defenses.

Florida Keys to the Game

Dominate Line of Scrimmage
Florida's offensive line played better when Harris replaced quarterback Jeff Driskel against Tennessee. Driskel will likely be the starter on Saturday, so the Gators' front must play like they did in the fourth quarter against the Vols. The group should feel confident facing LSU's porous defensive line.
Miles will need his offensive line to play their best game of the season against Florida. The Gators pass rush is led by Dante Fowler Jr., who has 1.5 sacks, six quarterback hurries and four tackles for loss. The crowd noise will give the group issues, but they must overcome it to help LSU's struggling offense.
The Gators will win this game if they take over in the trenches.

Prevent the Big Play
Florida's secondary could be the most talented in the SEC. Cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III and safety Keanu Neal will both be in contention for All-SEC honors this season.
The Gators played poorly against Alabama, having allowed quarterback Blake Sims to throw for 445 yards. The Tigers have the weapons on the outside in Travin Dural and Malachi Dupre to inflict similar damage on deep passes.
Harris and Jennings have a long way to go as quarterbacks, but one thing they both do well is throw the deep ball. The Gators pass rush will need to be at the top of its game to help the secondary prevent Dural and Dupre from making game-breaking plays.

Prediction

LSU and Florida will play an ugly game on Saturday, so neutral fans who want fireworks would be wise to look elsewhere.
Driskel has been pitiful at quarterback, but he did lead the Gators to a victory the last time the Tigers visited Gainesville. For LSU, do not be surprised if Miles plays Harris and Jennings. Whichever way Miles plays it, the Tigers will need more consistency at the position if he wants to win.
Florida's 2-1 conference record is a tad deceiving. The Gators got a favorable no-call against Kentucky that helped them win in triple overtime. A bruised and battered Tennessee team squandered a late lead that opened the door for a Gators comeback. LSU's two conference opponents of Mississippi State and Auburn are far better teams than the Wildcats and Volunteers.
Florida won both of their SEC games because they wreaked havoc in the backfield. Fowler Jr. and Bryan Cox Jr. can take over football games with their relentless pressure. LSU's offense consists of four of five returning starters from last year's team. They have yet to dominate on the road in their five conference games away from Tiger Stadium, but their best game of 2013 was against the Gators.
LSU had success on first down against Auburn but was an appalling 0-of-13 on third down. Third-and-longs could be devastating for the Tigers against the Gators pass rush.
LSU's defense has played dominant football when facing a quarterback that is stationary. While Driskel can make plays with his legs, he is not near the caliber of player as Mississippi State's Dak Prescott and Auburn's Nick Marshall. Tigers defensive coordinator John Chavisshould have success when the Gators are forced to pass.
The game is a close one to call. Both teams have similar strengths and weaknesses. Ugly games come down to the team that makes fewer mistakes. Usually the safe way to go is with the home team, but the Gators' unfortunate news of the Harris suspension and the forced reinsertion of Driskel will ultimately cost them.
Miles wins. Barely.

Score: LSU 17, Florida 14

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...e-game-preview

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can't argue. Unless Jeff can win back the offense, and I mean their full support, or Grier gets the nod, the rest of the season will be ugly. Jeff has completely lost the confidence of his offensive team mates. They don't trust him, and it showed on the field when Harris came into the game Saturday.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think we have a shot but I'd probably take LSU in this one. I liked our chances alot better with Harris but it is what it is. I think it will another low scoring game and for some reason the ball always bounces les miles way. If we keep forcing turn overs maybe we can wear em down or score on a few busted plays.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Actually, if our D gets 2 INTs with one being a RFTD, we might maybe win.
I liked this comment-
It'll be a cripple fight. First to score wins

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Look for a repeat of 2012. Except LSU is much worse at QB this time. Their D-Line has been getting chewed up by the ground game. We've been pretty stout against the run. Both teams passing games are like watching retards masturbate. I like our chances.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n71444 said:
Look for a repeat of 2012. Except LSU is much worse at QB this time. Their D-Line has been getting chewed up by the ground game. We've been pretty stout against the run. Both teams passing games are like watching retards masturbate. I like our chances.
You've watched retards masturbate?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n71444 said:

Apparently you've done a little spying at the SOW.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Need Tabor to channel Richard Fain in 1988 in Florida Field, two picks that day, one a pick six, which was the only TD of the game for either side in a 19-6 UF win.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think we will play better at home....

Just :suicide: shoot me now!

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
sampling...

re: Official LSU v Florida Prediction Thread (Posted on 10/8/14 at 9:47 am to Broham)

Game has the possibility of setting back offensive football 20 years

re: Official LSU v Florida Prediction Thread (Posted on 10/8/14 at 9:49 am to DeltaDoc)

21-17 bad guys
Iconwah.gif
Icongeauxtigers.png

re: Official LSU v Florida Prediction Thread (Posted on 10/8/14 at 10:13 am to NorthshoreTiger76)

Florida 27-17

Game is worse for LSU than final score appears

re: Official LSU v Florida Prediction Thread (Posted on 10/8/14 at 10:21 am to lsutiger2011)

well i said 35-31 msu and 41-20 auburn, so i'm doing well with this below average team,

3 in a row

florida 23 - lsu 16
Iconcheers.gif

re: Official LSU v Florida Prediction Thread (Posted on 10/8/14 at 2:29 pm to HailHailtoMichigan!)

Florida 3
LSU 0

12 OT's

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think our offense is going to find a way to make lsu' s d look good. Atleast I'll have some beer Saturday night

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.