Malik Zaire in Florida for more than 1 year? His dad discusses the what-ifs

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I honestly think Zaire will start the Michigan game. However, according to Zaire's father the starting job is not assured. In addition, his father thinks they can get a second year for Zaire if they try.

Malik Zaire in Florida for more than 1 year? His dad discusses the what-ifs
Zaire-1_h2wa6z.jpg

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Because Malik Zaire sustained a broken right ankle two games into the 2015 season, there has been curiosity as to whether Florida’s new graduate transfer quarterback will pursue and receive an extra year of eligibility from the NCAA and thus extend his stay with the Gators beyond just 2017.

That remains a wait-and-see situation for several reasons, the quarterback’s father Imani Zaire says.

“If a redshirt is granted we’ll just see how everything goes,” he told SEC Country. “I know he wants to get his degree. I know there’s lot of people who think he’s just a one-and-done and doesn’t want to pursue his degree and that’s just not true. I think if he can get it … thats what he wants.”

But Zaire also wants to play in the NFL, and if he proves to be the quarterback both he and the Gators hope he can be this fall, then the pursuit of a medical redshirt could be moot, his father noted. Or, for the opposite reason.

First, Zaire has to win the starting job. Nothing has been guaranteed to the former Notre Dame quarterback, who is set to compete this summer with redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks and redshirt junior Luke Del Rio for the top spot on the Gators’ depth chart.

Imani Zaire says the potential for the medical redshirt and extra season was mentioned briefly in his talks with the Florida coaches, but it’s not a primary focus at this point.

“All things were talked about. He sees the pros and cons of it as an insurance policy, but again, none of that stuff will matter if the boy [doesn’t] start. If he goes out and [underperforms] I don’t even think they would pursue a fifth year. Now I don’t believe that’s going to happen. I believe it will be the opposite of that, but right now that’s kind of put on the side. It’s all about getting caught up, getting on and playing some football,” the elder Zaire said.

Zaire announced his intentions to join the Gators last month and started summer classes last Monday. Between offseason workouts and fall camp, he has a little more than two months to learn the offense, get to know his teammates and prove that he is the best option on the depth chart before Florida’s season opener with Michigan.

A former highly-coveted recruit out of Kettering, Ohio, Zaire started three games at Notre Dame and was set to hold the job during that 2015 season before breaking his ankle in Week 2 against Virginia.

While it’s a limited sample size, Zaire had made a very strong impression in his first two starts for the Fighting Irish. He was named the MVP of the 2014 Music City Bowl after completing 12 of 15 passes for 96 yards and a touchdown while also rushing for 96 yards and a score in a win over LSU. And he then opened his redshirt sophomore season completing 19 of 22 passes for 313 yards and 3 TDs against Texas.

He was just 7 of 18 passing for 115 yards and a TD with 87 rushing yards the next week against Virginia before sustaining his season-ending injury. DeShone Kizer, a 2017 second-round NFL Draft pick, took over as Notre Dame’s starting quarterback and kept Zaire in a backup role last season before Zaire asked for his release.

Imani Zaire says the family hasn’t received any concrete indication as to whether the NCAA would grant the extra year of eligibility, but he is confident they have a strong case. If it comes to that.

Again, he reiterated, that’s a topic for another day — and not one he expects Florida coach Jim McElwain to want to discuss publicly at this point.

“I understand the political stuff too behind all of this,” Imani Zaire said. “Let’s face it, this really shakes up the apple tree. You’ve got [a bunch of] quarterbacks now. You got the one who was looking halfway decent in the spring game, the heir apparent, and now you have this senior guy coming in. The head coach is playing it smart by not anointing anyone at this point, but at the same time he doesn’t want to not say things and run people off. I wouldn’t want his job right now. Quarterbacks and receivers are real sensitive. …

“I know Coach McElwain is building a solid program. He’s getting Florida back to prominence.”

There are many who believe the Gators are indeed just the right quarterback away from becoming a true national contender. Whether it’s Zaire, Franks or eventually one of the top high school QBs — like 5-star dual-threat Justin Fields — the program is aggressively recruiting.

Zaire sees that potential as well and believes he can be the answer Florida seeks.

Time will tell.

“I think he’s going to love it down there. He’s already loving it,” Imani Zaire said. “He looks at the team camaraderie and the thousands of people who are already supporting him and the way they support their teams down there. He likes the grand stage down there. He performs at high level. It’s never about him, per se. He wants to win, he wants to help the team win by any means necessary. … The ultimate deal is to win an SEC championship, to possibly go to the national championship. That’s how this kid thinks.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/malik-zaire-potential-extra-year-eligibility-gators-dad

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully Zaire is listening to his dad and realizes he has to earn the starting job.

Glad he wasn't raised by the griers.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If there has ever been a legitimate case for a medical hardship exemption, Zaire is it. Not saying it will be applied for by him or the University at all.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Can't hate anything about this article...

However, I know there will be some who come on here and do just that :lol:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think anyone ever got a 6 year window of eligibility in Zaire's situation unless they had another (2nd) early season ending injury or some family emergency costing them a season.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think anyone ever got a 6 year window of eligibility in Zaire's situation unless they had another (2nd) early season ending injury or some family emergency costing them a season.

:what:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I can't think of anyone getting that 6th year with his circumstances. I think the NCAA doesn't care if you took a voluntary redshirt season and had a season ending injury one year because they want the player to be in that 5 year window. They will give a 6th year in cases like Zaire's if the player has another early season ending injury in that 5th year. That is how I think it works anyway.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can't think of anyone getting that 6th year with his circumstances. I think the NCAA doesn't care if you took a voluntary redshirt season and had a season ending injury one year because they want the player to be in that 5 year window. They will give a 6th year in cases like Zaire's if the player has another early season ending injury in that 5th year. That is how I think it works anyway.

So you're saying you don't really know what you're talking about?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So you're saying you don't really know what you're talking about?

If I am wrong point it out. A non-medical redshirt is considered a voluntary act by the NCAA. The NCAA might have some line in there about them not being totally bound by the other wording in the rules but if they follow it Zaire wouldn't be granted a 6th year in his window due to only having one year ended early by an injury.

Edit: I see somewhere where they claim the NCAA will consider treating a standard redshirt season as a season ended early by injury if the school can supply medical records that show the player was unable to participate medically after the first few games of the season. Not sure if Zaire has any argument there or not.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sure, Zaire's gonna be the greatest use to Franks -- showing him what each page of that complex playbook means.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.csnchicago.com/notre-dam...-qbs-keeping-brandon-wimbush-engaged-priority

Keeping a redshirting quarterback engaged is a difficult challenge: Notre Dame lost Zaire for a stretch during his redshirt 2013 season, for example. Wimbush has only received sparing reps in seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 work during preseason camp, and unless something happens to Kizer or Zaire, those intermittent third-team reps will continue through the end of the regular season.
-------------------------------------------------------

Maybe Zaire does have a fighting chance with the NCAA to get a 6 year window I guess. According to that old article he was out of practice for a while during his initial redshirt season. It may depend on just how long that was.

If that was likely to materialize Franks would probably transfer if Zaire gets the job over him.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
That isn't happening he's a 7th rd pick or udfa. He's a slightly taller version Treon.
A 1st rd pick

When I said I hoped Zaire became a first-round NFL pick, that implied I hoped Zaire had a great season, and as a result, the Gators had a great season. Most people don't need to have this explained.

I don't disagree that if Zaire entered the draft this year he would be lucky to make a scout team. However, it is not possible to accurately predict the future based on past performance. Zaire could have a great year; he has the potential. He will have a great receiving corps. The offensive line may gel at the right time and our running game may be good enough to take pressure off the passing attack. If we knew what was going to happen why play the games and risk injury?

On the other hand, your prediction could turn out to be true. It's annoying that you sound like a troll.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.