Mandel talks Dabo to Bama and Mac's NSD haul

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-recruiting-sec-stewart-mandel-mailbag-021016

Stewart: Post-Signing Day, Gator fans are divided into two camps. The optimistic camp says that the Gators signed a solid class that fills huge needs (QB, WR, K) and that Jim McElwain has earned the benefit of the doubt with some of the under-the-radar three-star recruits. The pessimistic camp argues that the class lacks the kind of elite talent that forms the core of dynasties and doesn't close the gap with elite competitors like Alabama, LSU and FSU. Which side is closer to the truth?

Put me in the pessimistic camp.

Mind you, Scout.com ranked Florida's class No. 10 in the country. On the surface that's far from worrisome. Other services, though, pegged the Gators closer to 15th. While that's mostly a symbolic distinction, it does say something. Florida is a program that regularly signed Top 5 classes (including a couple that garnered a No. 1 crown) under Urban Meyer, Will Muschamp and even Ron Zook. First-year coaches at a powerhouse programs often sign monstrous classes in their first full cycle after storming into town and drumming up excitement. I fully expected McElwain would do exactly that and was surprised at the Gators' relatively modest close.

But rest assured, your optimistic crowd has plenty to feel good about. Florida desperately needs to upgrade its offensive skill talent, and McElwain loaded up on that side of the ball. Most notably, by bringing in three quarterbacks -- two recruits and Purdue grad transfer Austin Appleby -- he feels comfortable moving Treon Harris to receiver. And between the staggering 12 early enrollees and three jucos, plenty of guys in this class should be able to play right away.

But seeing several big names either flip or choose elsewhere on Signing Day had to sting. While it's still a solid class, as you said, plenty of other schools in Florida's conference and state signed even better ones. Florida likely upgraded its roster, but it did not exactly make a huge statement.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
nRzeDwD.gif

Last edited:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think he is dead on by saying we filled all of our needs but what stings is no big name signees.

FWIW, I like the class.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he is dead on by saying we filled all of our needs but what stings is no big name signees.

FWIW, I like the class.
we missed on DT numbers and arguably OL numbers. other than that numbers were filled. but yeah, missed on big names, big time.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I read that we have around 19 OL, exactly how many do we need to fill 5 spots? I get that we want five 5*'s on the line, but is that realistic?

You only get 85 scholly's, and I understand that not all of those guys are on scholly, but if 17 are, that's 20%. Or for those math challenged, 1 of every 5 scholly is an O-lineman.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I read that we have around 19 OL, exactly how many do we need to fill 5 spots? I get that we want five 5*'s on the line, but is that realistic?

You only get 85 scholly's, and I understand that not all of those guys are on scholly, but if 17 are, that's 20%. Or for those math challenged, 1 of every 5 scholly is an O-lineman.

4 of those 19 OLs are walk-ons. We have ZERO Senior OL's.

Here's a breakdown of the SEC recruiting:

National Recruiting Rankings (Rivals)

Team...............Total.......5Star.......4Star........3Star
1. Alabama........ 24..........5.............10............9
6. LSU...............23..........0..............15...........6
7. Ole Miss.........24..........2..............10...........12
9. Auburn...........21.........2..............11............6
10. Georgia........20..........3..............10............6
14. Florida..........25.........1...............9............13
15. Tennessee.....21.........1..............10...........9
16. Texas AM......21.........0..............10...........11
26. S. Carolina....25.........0...............6............14
29. Kentucky......25..........1..............4............14
32. Arkansas.......20.........0..............4............14
36. Miss State.....17.........1...............3............13
53. Missouri........18.........0..............3.............11
59. Vanderbilt......20........0..............1.............9

*The SEC landed 12 5Star, 106 4Star and 147 3Star rated recruits.
*Alabama had the consensus No. 1 rated class. (No. 1 by Rivals, Scout and 247Sports. No. 2 by ESPN)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah but this makes me smile.
They were only four blue chippers behind us and that was with the Cocks hiring a new, proven-loser coach.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

As you now know, 4 are walkons who will never see the field. Andrew Mike was behind some walkons and true freshmen. He will never see the field. Dillard and Riles are terrible and should never be on an SEC teams depth chart.

The development rate for OL is always the worst of any position. It takes both brains and incredible braun. The get injured alot, some just in the weightroom. Altogether about half never see the field.

You have to recruit 5-6 per year. 4 is poor, 3 sbould be hotseat/dont do it again, and 2 should be fire the staff on the spot IMO.

Which po
sition do you think gets hurt the most? Linemen no doubt. Also, which positjon do you think is hardest to develop? HS OL dont come on campus ready to compete against SEC upperclassmen. If we need a LB conceivably we could convert a LB or TE. If we need a DB we can convert a WR (Chris Thompson seems the most obvious. Maybe he is good at hitting someone other than punters or returners who have signalled fair catch. Sousa and others obviously have no chance of seeig the field.) We have done so in the past with good success. Sabes?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator