Marco Wilson

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What the hell is wrong w him?

Not the PI on the huge receiver, that was good D and a questionable call. Or the TD, it was just a great play by him (he actually hit the ball twice) and the receiver. You just lose sometimes.

He has been TERRIBLE in run support and tackling. Like Stiner or Taylor terrible.
Like bench him and try a walkon terrible.

Came back too soon? Not 100% or not mentally 100%? It happens bc you have to trick your mind into trusting your knees again. I had a big knee injury once and it fvkks w your head even after you seem.to be physically back (objectively, according to PT measurements).

He was solid as a freshman.

Last edited:

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What the hell is wrong w him?

No the PI on the huge receiver, that was good D and a questionable call. Or the TD, it was just a great play by him (he actually hit the ball twice) and the receiver.

He has been TERRIBLE in run support and tackling. Like Stiner or Taylor terrible.
Like bench him and try a walkon terrible.

Came back too soon? Not 100% or not mentally 100%? It happens bc you habe to trick your mind into trusting your knees again.

He was solid as a freshman.
agree. he's looked bad. who knows how much is being a step slower or just psychologically out of it

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Scared to wrap up after a year off? I don’t think he’s picked on as bad if Hendo is out there - we can probably help him out with support while Hendo locks down the top guy.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
He has been TERRIBLE in run support and tackling.
He acts like he's not interested in tackling. His cover skills have been pretty good but whiffing on the tackles has been a killer. In fact, on several plays it seems the defense acted like they weren't really interested.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
On top of everything else, the failure to blitz that QB on 3rd and 21 was inexcusable. Grantham had his head in his ass. That might have changed the entire complexion of the game.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought Marco has been stinking it up . Elam has outplayed him for sure . I let a few expletives fly when the fullback got a first down on us that LTraz mentioned . Just no excuse for it .

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Average play from a guy we expected to be maybe 2nd team all conference......safety support is awful too. We have NO hitters at all in our secondary.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
On top of everything else, the failure to blitz that QB on 3rd and 21 was inexcusable. Grantham had his head in his ass. That might have changed the entire complexion of the game.
I think that's a conversation that DM needs to have. Unlikely to happen since he thinks Grantham is the Buddy Ryan of DC's in CFB but that needs to go, or the entire secondary needs to do up/downs for 10 minutes the next time a receiver is wide fkn open 22 yds down the field.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He definitely doesn't look like the Freshman Marco. Not sure if it's physical or mental. Probably a little of both tbh.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Excellent post. Size does matter and Wilson's lack of it was quite telling. The play to the RB you reference was embarrassing. You can bet he will be a target every time he's on the field from now on. Why wouldn't you look for him?

Rushing three and covering with eight and they convert third and forever. I'm reminded of Spurrier's quote after we employed the same concept in the second half of the Choke that led to that inglorious conclusion. He was asked by a reporter what defense we were in when the Nole$ came back to tie us. He said "we were in a 'Prevent' and that's exactly what it did...it prevented us from winning!" It was almost prophetic once again.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Rushing three and covering with eight and they convert third and forever.
I might be simple minded but in the same situation I would blitz every time. Make the putz be you. You never stand around and give a decent passer time to throw. Did I say never? I was pissed the whole game over that Grantham blunder.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The thing with blitzing on 3rd and long is that generally the qb has to get the ball out quick or get sacked. So it would seem a combo of playing receivers back and forcing the throw to an underneath guy which you can then tackle short of the sticks is a fairly easy play.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
IHe said "we were in a 'Prevent' and that's exactly what it did...it prevented us from winning!" It was almost prophetic once again.
we just don't play good zone. zone isn't what you and I play when we were little now anyway. you just don't drop 7 yards and guard your box.

all these NFL /Sabanized defenses have the zone guy essentially matching up for 7 yards on the seam route first, buttons next and flats third.

If we're going to rush 3, I'd almost rather see us play Man 3 or man two robber or something like that.

Third and Granthem is almost mind boggling.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
The thing with blitzing on 3rd and long is that generally the qb has to get the ball out quick or get sacked. So it would seem a combo of playing receivers back and forcing the throw to an underneath guy which you can then tackle short of the sticks is a fairly easy play.
Do you remember that 25 and goal against the Noles when we got hosed by the officials. We rushed 3 and that dufus QB ran around for 5 min and then threw a TD. Zook should have been fired right then and there. Same for last night.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
we just don't play good zone. zone isn't what you and I play when we were little now anyway. you just don't drop 7 yards and guard your box.

all these NFL /Sabanized defenses have the zone guy essentially matching up for 7 yards on the seam route first, buttons next and flats third.

If we're going to rush 3, I'd almost rather see us play Man 3 or man two robber or something like that.

Third and Granthem is almost mind boggling.
Five receivers will eventually find the holes when the QB has time to wind his watch. Man Free is and has been a good go to and will allow you one more than they can block. Anyway, as has been noted, we are way too soft in our zone schemes for my satisfaction.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The entire secondary except Elam has been hot trash. It's not just wilson. It's almost as if a full year of Grantham and English and talent is no longer talented...

I honestly believe this defensive staff is ruining what talent we have. The coaching on the defensive side of the ball is a pure abortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator