Recruiting Marcus Tatum talks Recruitment

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas...-just-didnt-click-with-an-sec-head-coach-well

What school came in second? What could they have done a little better? I can be honest now. It’s Florida. The thing they could have done better for me is more involvement from the position coach I’d actually be playing at. I didn’t really have a good relationship with (offensive line) coach (Mike) Summers as I would have liked to have. I don’t know why. That’s just how it worked out I guess. I didn’t talk to him as often as I wanted to. But (Tennessee) coach (Don) Mahoney, I talked to all of them everyday. That’s something they (Florida) could have done better.

If you could give a junior ONLY one piece of advice about the recruiting process, what would it be? Throughout the recruiting process, get to know the players. Don’t get caught up in all the coaches because the coaching will change. It will change fast. The coach that’s been recruiting you all these years could just switch schools because he wants to, better for his family or a personal situation like that. Always get connected with players and the recruits more than the coaches.

So he didn't come to UF because Summers didn't kiss his ass enough. But wait, don't pick a college based on coaches. So what are we supposed to believe. So do you think is was cash or the promise of getting away with rape that got him to UT?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Trying to decipher the thought process of a teenager is an exercise in futility.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Classic recruiting double talk makes it easy to assume that there was another "influence" out there.

Everybody talks about facilities and academics (which really cracks me up) as being the keys to success when the reality is that many of these guys are simply going where the money is or where the "tolerance" is and we always lose in those areas.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's face it guys, Tatum is a moron. A Florida kid (who has potential for a lot of PT in his career if he chooses the good guys) picks ButtChugU who we've beat 11 times in a row. And now that the dumpster fire up in hillbilly land is in full blaze, I can only shake my head and wonder who was advising this kid about his choice of schools. A moron advised by morons. That's about all I have to say on the matter.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna kind of side with the kid here. Well, not necessarily with him but against our staff.

Summers was pretty lights out recruiting two cycles back. But this last cycle he was just asleep at the wheel. There are many times when I saw breakouts of where coaches went out and Summers was not even on the list.

Now does this mean that Summers can't coach? Of course not. But I just think that he's older and he just can't keep up with recruiting anymore. Maybe it was something personal that prevented him from getting out much last year or maybe it's just the fact that he's older. I think it's one reason why there is a lot of chatter bandied about that he's only a year or two from retirement.

I think that is one reason also why we hired that OL coach as a QC coach. To my understanding, QC coaches can talk to recruits. And if he's going to eventually replace Summers, then it's a good fit.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Summers was never regarded as much of a recruiter per se, but more as the calmer, more celebral coach to which OL's better relate. Not to judge by Tatum, but they may need to reassess.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we don't recruit any 250lb linemen in the future. Too much "hope and prayer" involved in them adding 50 lbs.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Summers was never regarded as much of a recruiter per se, but more as the calmer, more celebral coach to which OL's better relate. Not to judge by Tatum, but they may need to reassess.
Well, when it comes to the big uglies, you better have someone who can recruit. No offense is going to go far if the line leaks.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We need to Ventures forth to get a Samoan pipeline... go to a Japanese Sumo school
and make a college pitch to those misguided teens. Be great to see UF get into downhill
blocking, pushing DLs on their butts. Get crafty Macencrew, outside the box. While you're
at it, sign a 6'10" high-school basketball player for TE, measure his hands. There, I said it.

[I miss Zambo and his "heard it through the apevine".]
Get back on GC, there's bananas for you here.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
We need to Ventures forth to get a Samoan pipeline... go to a Japanese Sumo school
and make a college pitch to those misguided teens. Be great to see UF get into downhill
blocking, pushing DLs on their butts. Get crafty Macencrew, outside the box. While you're
at it, sign a 6'10" high-school basketball player for TE, measure his hands. There, I said it.

[I miss Zambo and his "heard it through the apevine".]
Get back on GC, there's bananas for you here.
Why did he leave?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm gonna kind of side with the kid here. Well, not necessarily with him but against our staff.

Summers was pretty lights out recruiting two cycles back. But this last cycle he was just asleep at the wheel. There are many times when I saw breakouts of where coaches went out and Summers was not even on the list.

Now does this mean that Summers can't coach? Of course not. But I just think that he's older and he just can't keep up with recruiting anymore. Maybe it was something personal that prevented him from getting out much last year or maybe it's just the fact that he's older. I think it's one reason why there is a lot of chatter bandied about that he's only a year or two from retirement.

I think that is one reason also why we hired that OL coach as a QC coach. To my understanding, QC coaches can talk to recruits. And if he's going to eventually replace Summers, then it's a good fit.

Really????.....JFC ...

better? I can be honest now. It’s Florida. The thing they could have done better for me is more involvement from the position coach I’d actually be playing at. I didn’t really have a good relationship with (offensive line) coach (Mike) Summers as I would have liked to have. I don’t know why. That’s just how it worked out I guess. I didn’t talk to him as often as I wanted to. But (Tennessee) coach (Don) Mahoney, I talked to all of them everyday. That’s something they (Florida) could have done better.

Summers may be the BEST, most experienced assistant coach we have and he doesn't need to be calling teenagers out of his recruiting territory and wasting his limited time every friggin day.
Tatum is a moron, hope his momma enjoys the drive to see him ride the pine.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Really????.....JFC ...

better? I can be honest now. It’s Florida. The thing they could have done better for me is more involvement from the position coach I’d actually be playing at. I didn’t really have a good relationship with (offensive line) coach (Mike) Summers as I would have liked to have. I don’t know why. That’s just how it worked out I guess. I didn’t talk to him as often as I wanted to. But (Tennessee) coach (Don) Mahoney, I talked to all of them everyday. That’s something they (Florida) could have done better.

Summers may be the BEST, most experienced assistant coach we have and he doesn't need to be calling teenagers out of his recruiting territory and wasting his limited time every friggin day.
Tatum is a moron, hope his momma enjoys the drive to see him ride the pine.

This is recruiting Goon. It's part of what these coaches do. I know some you want to pretend like recruiting is not necessary or it's ridiculous. But it's part of their job and part of what they need to do.

It's why Coach Mac virtually lived in Eddie Piniero's house. It's why Saban virtually lived with Wilson Mack the last week of the season.

Over the last 10 years when I've been recruited for a job. The one that pays me the most attention and comes after me the hardest tends to be closer to getting me to sign up.

And yes, it may be not "part of his territory" but it is his position. It's the position that he has influence over and we need talent at. This notion that they can't cross territories is not true. It's why Torrian Gray has Lakeland and Tampa (and is working on closing 5* James Robinson) but he is also working hard on flipping Shaun Wade up in Jacksonville (Not his "territory") because he wants that talented kid in his secondary. Recruiting is one reason why Callahan is gone and Gray came in.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is recruiting Goon. It's part of what these coaches do. I know some you want to pretend like recruiting is not necessary or it's ridiculous. But it's part of their job and part of what they need to do.

It's why Coach Mac virtually lived in Eddie Piniero's house. It's why Saban virtually lived with Wilson Mack the last week of the season.

Over the last 10 years when I've been recruited for a job. The one that pays me the most attention and comes after me the hardest tends to be closer to getting me to sign up.

And yes, it may be not "part of his territory" but it is his position. It's the position that he has influence over and we need talent at. This notion that they can't cross territories is not true. It's why Torrian Gray has Lakeland and Tampa (and is working on closing 5* James Robinson) but he is also working hard on flipping Shaun Wade up in Jacksonville (Not his "territory") because he wants that talented kid in his secondary. Recruiting is one reason why Callahan is gone and Gray came in.

funniest thing any head coach said to you during the entire recruiting process, either on phone or in person? I remember when (Florida) coach Mac (Jim McElwain) first saw me. He was just surprised how tall I was. It was funny how he always looked at me. He’d say, “Man, you get taller and taller and taller everytime, everytime, everytime.” That was always funny to me. I was there so often so it was like he could see me grow.

Which coach was it the hardest to say no to? That you weren’t coming there? (Receivers) coach (Kerry) Dixon and (defensive line) coach (Chris) Rumph at Florida. It was really hard to tell them that.

......whatever.....

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think we forget that most of these kids grow up without a dad. They don't know what it's like to have a strong male influence. So I think they can get a little stupid when it comes to the attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator