GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
TEN - QB Marcus Mariota showing nice accuracy
Source: ESPN.com - Paul Kuharsky
Tennessee Titans QB Marcus Mariota has received nothing but rave reviews during the team's offseason workouts, and wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson was the latest to praise the young quarterback, saying 'he is deadly accurate.' 'No. 1, it's his accuracy. No. 2, he's come in and grasped the offense. And No. 3 is the way the guys respond to him, the way he's able to go in that huddle and take control,' Jefferson said. Mariota is developing a rapport with all of the team's receivers during workouts, and the wideouts love working with him.
[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]
This has been a constant drumbeat this offseason. Part of it is OTA "hot takes" you need to read with a grain of salt, but it's a good sign for the rookie. He'll struggle this year, but perhaps he'll be able to play better than some think.

Before you blast me, this same site has reported many other QB's struggling... Like Geno smith throwing 3 int's and Rapist working with second team.... I think the Bucs will live to regret not drafting this guy.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n232907 said:
I am hoping he becomes a star in the league just to make the Bucs look even worse.

Yeah, me too... also, just to see someone who does everything right do well..

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to see him do well but guys from those type of systems haven't fared too well in the long run.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;232925 said:
I would like to see him do well but guys from those type of systems haven't fared too well in the long run.

From what systems?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he's an underrated talent if there is such a thing at the No. 2 overall pick. Supposedly Mariota's extensive experience playing soccer has helped him develop remarkable footwork to the point where he's never really off balance throwing on the run. Not that being able to throw on the run would be important in the NFL, right? This kid is special.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n233042]I think he's an underrated talent if there is such a thing at the No. 2 overall pick. Supposedly Mariota's extensive experience playing soccer has helped him develop remarkable footwork to the point where he's never really off balance throwing on the run. Not that being able to throw on the run would be important in the NFL, right? This kid is special. [/QUOTE]

Possibly and its getting to the point where there is hardly any teams running NFL type offenses in college anymore so the future good ones will almost have to come from spread offenses without much done under center. I remember one NFL QB coach saying the worst thing when it came to all these spread system QBs now in college was only about 15% of their throws really translated to what is mostly being ran in the NFL and it made it really hard to judge their potential at the next level.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;232995 said:
From what systems?

You must mean the run spreads. Because quarterbacks are coming from systems that run spread offenses and they're doing very well in the NFL.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n233051 said:
You must mean the run spreads. Because quarterbacks are coming from systems that run spread offenses and they're doing very well in the NFL.

I thought I read recently that the vast majority of the top rated QBs and the ones with the most recent playoff success had come from college systems that were more NFL oriented than these spread systems that have taken over college football. That would be pretty significant considering these spread systems have been in the majority for quite a while now in college.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
GatorJ;n232995 said:
From what systems?

The kind of systems like Oregon and Texas A&M use. The QB doesn't run the huddle. He doesn't calls plays. It is extremely simplified. A number of these systems don't even have playbooks. Remember Manziel? The first time he ever called a play was his first snap in the NFL. His first playbook was the one the browns gave him. Mariota is going through a similar thing now. It makes for a massive learning curve once a QB gets to the NFL. I fully understand why teams drafted Winston over Mariota.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n233077 said:
There's a pretty good article on the future of spread quarterbacks. No perennial pro bowlers yet but some decent quarterbacks from spreads systems. Here are a few. Not setting the world on fire but not scrubs either:

Andy Dalton
Cam Newton
Alex Smith
Robert Griffin

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...layton-mailbag

Some success there. I think with most of college going away from the QB being under center it will mean most of the new top guns in the NFL will have to come from spread offenses simply due to the numbers. The NFL might not like that fact right now but many teams are incorporating some spread elements even having some of the athletic QBs running more now. I am curious what it will look like 10 years from now in the NFL.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Robert Griffin doesn't belong on that list j. Let's be real. Alex Smith is serviceable at best but their are some decent qb' s that came from the spread. Plus, the nfl is starting attend more towards the shotgun no huddle.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n233092 said:
Robert Griffin doesn't belong on that list j. Let's be real. Alex Smith is serviceable at best but their are some decent qb' s that came from the spread. Plus, the nfl is starting attend more towards the shotgun no huddle.

Griffin deserves to be there more than Dalton. Dalton is horrible.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n233096 said:
Griffin deserves to be there more than Dalton. Dalton is horrible.
How many times has Dalton lost his starting job?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n233077 said:
There's a pretty good article on the future of spread quarterbacks. No perennial pro bowlers yet but some decent quarterbacks from spreads systems. Here are a few. Not setting the world on fire but not scrubs either:

Andy Dalton
Cam Newton
Alex Smith
Robert Griffin

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...re-how-use-college-spread-qbs-clayton-mailbag

How many of the quarterbacks listed do you think will win a Super Bowl. Cam and Griffin ran spread elements to start their career. But would you trust them with you team in the playoffs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.