Mark Thompson as H Back or TE

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Line him up in the slot and motion him into the backfield or vise versa. From the slot he would give us a better blocking presence on sweeps, runs to the edge or WR screens. Moving him into the backfield from the slot would put us into a two back set without showing it from the get go. The advantages there would be having our best blocking back for pass protection allowing Scarlett or Kronk to get into the flat, wheel route or whatever. I'd also like to see him take a handoff coming in motion from the slot as a misdirection in order to keep defenses from over pursuing to the short side of the field ....some backs do better with more initial room to build up speed, a running start more or less, Matt Jones was kinda the same. Running him wide more often give him a chance to build up speed and the use his upper body strength to push off defenders while trying to get to the corner. If you go back and watch MJ he rarely had any good runs between the tackles, he did about 80% of his damage on wide end runs....this guy is on the clock so lets do something with him.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Line him up in the slot and motion him into the backfield or vise versa. From the slot he would give us a better blocking presence on sweeps, runs to the edge or WR screens. Moving him into the backfield from the slot would put us into a two back set without showing it from the get go. The advantages there would be having our best blocking back for pass protection allowing Scarlett or Kronk to get into the flat, wheel route or whatever. I'd also like to see him take a handoff coming in motion from the slot as a misdirection in order to keep defenses from over pursuing to the short side of the field ....some backs do better with more initial room to build up speed, a running start more or less, Matt Jones was kinda the same. Running him wide more often give him a chance to build up speed and the use his upper body strength to push off defenders while trying to get to the corner. If you go back and watch MJ he rarely had any good runs between the tackles, he did about 80% of his damage on wide end runs....this guy is on the clock so lets do something with him.

Good thoughts. For his size, using him to block and - occasionally - giving him the ball (via run or pass) would probably be best. He's only been here for 6 games, so he may not want to move/change positions. On the other hand, it's obvious the coaches want a 4 or 5 RB rotation. So until we sign another RB, we'll need him to keep up this overly successful offensive gimmick we've been using (4/5 RB rotation).

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
He's improving each week. I have him behind Scarlett and Perine. But all are hampered by lack of carries.

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
Everyone here clamoring for him to be a blocking back seem to have missed the fact that he tends to avoid contact.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone here clamoring for him to be a blocking back seem to have missed the fact that he tends to avoid contact.
I starting thinking about this after seeing him pancake someone on a touchdown play. You may be right, but he can't hate contact more than our TE's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator