Mark Thompson Interview

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why this man wasn’t talking to media (while others were) is perplexing. Calm, measured, concise.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If I had to guess, maybe bc he predicted he would get 1000 yds by the uga game his first season before he even stepped on the field. I dunno, the previous staff seemed to want things as vanilla as possible

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He kind of lost me a week ago when he said we should consider Shannon because he is like Obama

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why this man wasn’t talking to media (while others were) is perplexing. Calm, measured, concise.

Might be due to his comments in support of Franks earlier in the season where he got backlash? :dunno: other than that and his bold early pre

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Link?

I'd like to hear his take now that he's done with the program, with no motivation (playing time) to talk nicely about the staff - give his honest opinion.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I really liked this kid and thought we didn’t use him enough. He was unfairly labeled as fumbling too much but actually I can’t recall him losing a fumble all year....maybe one...but I can’t remember it. He ran hard and had some breakaway speed. He is a classic back that runs better with more carries. I wish the Gator well!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Speaks well and thoughtful. I didn't care for the comment that FF is still learning the offense (after 2 years of being in it) and now we are changing everything up. Is he going to take 2+ more years to learn the next offense?

Maybe his deficiencies are like Driskel in that he's lacking between the ears.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Speaks well and thoughtful. I didn't care for the comment that FF is still learning the offense (after 2 years of being in it) and now we are changing everything up. Is he going to take 2+ more years to learn the next offense?

I think it is a combination of between the ears and being asked to do too much.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it is a combination of between the ears and being asked to do too much.
IDK. I didn't see anything in the Butters & Nuss offense that lead me to believe it was complicated. Clearly he wasn't asked to throw out of bounds so the pressure of that decision was removed.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014

This is the most interesting thing to me. Was there really an offense to learn...? And even if it was learned, it was mostly a waste of time, because the playcalling by Nuss was so impractical in its gametime application. So, what is the real truth to it all? It is obvious that Franks hasn't received any quality coaching since high school, but at times, he just looks so completely inept, as well. I'm curious to know if he can actually be worth a damn if he had a good coach, who knew how to use his physical talents. Until I see otherwise, I think he isn't very smart, and was asked to run the most impotent offense I have ever seen.

And honestly, what scares me most is... as bad as our offense was last year, Mississippi State's passing offense was actually even worse.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He'll go to the combine, great out 1st round....get picked in the top 3 rounds.....make an NFL team....and all of will say, "F'ing Butters!"

This kid's measurable's are all-world. Too bad he wasn't more of a bruiser...

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
IDK. I didn't see anything in the Butters & Nuss offense that lead me to believe it was complicated. Clearly he wasn't asked to throw out of bounds so the pressure of that decision was removed.

I got the impression that Butters expected the QB to do a ton of pre snap reads and I think Franks struggled and maybe it actually slowed him down because he was thinking so much... or they were really bad at teaching simple concepts and made them really complicated... which may be it, because it seemed like guys got worse.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I really liked this kid and thought we didn’t use him enough. He was unfairly labeled as fumbling too much but actually I can’t recall him losing a fumble all year....maybe one...but I can’t remember it. He ran hard and had some breakaway speed. He is a classic back that runs better with more carries. I wish the Gator well!
Not that he reminds me of Gillislee but like Gilly I dont think he got the ball enough. I think we shoulda tried to pound fsu with him till it had no chance ..............

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
He'll go to the combine, great out 1st round....get picked in the top 3 rounds.....make an NFL team....and all of will say, "F'ing Butters!"

As the year wore on I thought he became a much tougher runner. Maybe some credit goes to Seider....I think he develops RB’s well.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Might be due to his comments in support of Franks earlier in the season where he got backlash? :dunno: other than that and his bold early pre
Other than the Shannon comment, what was he supposed to say? Of course he had to support Franks.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Other than the Shannon comment, what was he supposed to say? Of course he had to support Franks.

I don't disagree with what he said, I'm saying he got major backlash from it. Might be why he buttoned up a bit during the season.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Not that he reminds me of Gillislee but like Gilly I dont think he got the ball enough. I think we shoulda tried to pound fsu with him till it had no chance ..............
Of course we should have. If we had cut Franks' throws in half maybe we could have erased the 21 of FSU's points. There offense was basically Franks throwing to wideopen FSU DB's. BTW, according to him he was Brady like.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

I thought I recalled him being on an NFL roster, so he can't be too stupid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Driskel

I do agree that learning the offense should not take that long, but perhaps it is too complex and that is part of the reason we stink on offense.

Oct 5, 2014

I think he will get drafted as a prospect at tight end.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I got the impression that Butters expected the QB to do a ton of pre snap reads and I think Franks struggled and maybe it actually slowed him down because he was thinking so much... or they were really bad at teaching simple concepts and made them really complicated... which may be it, because it seemed like guys got worse.
I read this somewhere. The author said Butter's offense was actually more complicated to learn, and gave examples of much simpler to learn offenses that could be executed with numerous looks but didn't require so much of the QB or so much memorizing and keeping things straight for the players. Ironic given the predictable playcalling on the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator