Matt Jones declares

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n121500 said:
Who is giving these kids advice? I get not wanting to play for anyone else but honestly, thats some childish crap. He's a good kid and good rep for our school and team but this is just dumb. Some of these guys need to start acting like men instead of boys who got their feelings hurt and realize they arent ready yet, need another year, and quite frankly, were not developed as well as they could have been elsewhere. Remove the "I love my coach" glasses and start thinking about things from a business decision standpoint, especially if you are about to make the ultimate business decision regarding the NFL.

Just about any RB who has had any level of success should leave after 3 yrs. They can only put so many miles on their body, especially a back like Jones who takes punishment. He's already had knee issues. He's coming off a season where he showed some flashes of NFL ability. He will likely get drafted on potential in the late rounds but could jump to the late mid rounds if he kills the combine. Why risk a senior season when you won't be able to improve your stock very much? I think he is looking thru Lattimore glasses more than Muschamp glasses. I would go ahead and assume Taylor will be gone after next season while you're at it.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to gauge the sense in some of the early exits. Our coaching has been so terrible that players go down, rather than up, in skills. It is certainly possible that Jones could have a great Combine and turn into a decent NFL running back. All we know from his time in Florida, with a different OC every year and a Head Coach who made him play every down with a target on his chest and a thin line, is that he's pretty big, has a decent second gear, and has overcome a history of injuries. At this point, why wouldn't a kid say, "another coach? another coordinator? I'm out of here."

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
Originally posted by FireFoley View Post
Best of luck Matt. With the value of RB's in the NFL being at an all time low, there is very little need for a below average running back. I hope that you return somewhere in the future to get your degree. Your running back skills are not even high D-1 caliber.

Swamp Queen;n121167 said:
That's the spirit!

:exactly:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n121508 said:
Just about any RB who has had any level of success should leave after 3 yrs. They can only put so many miles on their body, especially a back like Jones who takes punishment. He's already had knee issues. He's coming off a season where he showed some flashes of NFL ability. He will likely get drafted on potential in the late rounds but could jump to the late mid rounds if he kills the combine. Why risk a senior season when you won't be able to improve your stock very much? I think he is looking thru Lattimore glasses more than Muschamp glasses. I would go ahead and assume Taylor will be gone after next season while you're at it.

These are good points. I do think, however, that Jones hasn't produced much that would lead me to believe he'll be a high draft pick - in fact, I won't be surprised at all to see him go undrafted. However, I tend to agree that another year doesn't promise anything in the way of improvement in his football development. He blocks well, catches the ball really well (I wish we would have used him more in that role this year) and I would say he's an average or above average D1 back.

Regardless, I hope all of these guys (lookin' at you Tyler Morre) are getting informed, getting good information and factoring that into their decisions. I don't want guys thinking they'll be locks to get drafted and make a team, only to do neither.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Jake from State Farm;n121293 said:
Can't help but wonder who is advising these guys...

He's run behind a terrible Oline his whole career here at UF, so no one really knows how good (or bad) MJ is. He's a big, strong back with decent speed which could be appealing to the NFL. I don;t see his stock getting any higher than it currently is, so it makes sense for him to declare.

westflgator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n121105 said:
I'd be shocked if he was drafted. Maybe he can make a roster as a Free Agent.
I too thank Matt for his time and effort, but I don't believe he will get drafted either, but should have a chance to make a roster. He really needs to work on his balance and ability to hit the hole quicker. He's often indecisive, and moves in ways that seems out of control and off balance (which causes him to get tackled easily), especially around the line of scirmmage when the holes aren't wide enough to drive a truck through. However when he does square his shoulders and hits the hole hard and quick he does really well. With some good coaching he could be a heck of a back, he just isn't there yet. IMO

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Does he have any UF rushing records... a good measure of NFL interest.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStud;n122661 said:
I think he has the most rushing yards by a guy named Jones whose first name is not James.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStud;n122661 said:

Longest RB hair?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n122677 said:
I think he has the most rushing yards by a guy named Jones whose first name is not James.
I'm almost positive he has the longest hair of any Gator RB ever.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;n121006 said:
Best of luck Matt. With the value of RB's in the NFL being at an all time low, there is very little need for a below average running back. I hope that you return somewhere in the future to get your degree. Your running back skills are not even high D-1 caliber.

He averaged 5 yards per carry and had over 800 yards rushing in a predictable offense that had defenses stacking the line of scrimmage in every game. The only thing below average here is your intelligence.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are you predicting he'll get drafted? If so what round?

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n122786 said:

Have to ask, what's with the Big Mac?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n122786 said:

If you're talking to me I don't have a clue if he'll be drafted or not. I gave up trying to figure out why pro teams make the decisions they make. I think we can all agree that having "pro" in their name doesn't preclude them from making bonehead decision after bonehead decision. That said, Jones has a history of getting hurt that will no doubt have an impact on his chances. And he's obviously not going to be the fastest back in the draft by far. But he's good enough to make a lot of pro teams.

To be honest with you, I find it hard to judge any running back's talent in this offense.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
divits;n122811 said:
If you're talking to me I don't have a clue if he'll be drafted or not. I gave up trying to figure out why pro teams make the decisions they make. I think we can all agree that having "pro" in their name doesn't preclude them from making bonehead decision after bonehead decision. That said, Jones has a history of getting hurt that will no doubt have an impact on his chances. And he's obviously not going to be the fastest back in the draft by far. But he's good enough to make a lot of pro teams.

To be honest with you, I find it hard to judge any running back's talent in this offense.

Your last sentence is dead on. I won't blame any of our offensive players for their decision to go pro(ok, Moore, that's just silly, but best of luck).

Honestly, as much as we've had to endure as fans these past few years, these guys like Jones have had to deal with that x 1000. They neither got the development that they were promised, played for the coaches they originally were told they play for, nor had anything close to the type of success they'd envisioned or had been sold on when they signed. I truly love that they are Gators and wish them nothing but the best.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;122826 said:
Your last sentence is dead on. I won't blame any of our offensive players for their decision to go pro(ok, Moore, that's just silly, but best of luck).

Honestly, as much as we've had to endure as fans these past few years, these guys like Jones have had to deal with that x 1000. They neither got the development that they were promised, played for the coaches they originally were told they play for, nor had anything close to the type of success they'd envisioned or had been sold on when they signed. I truly love that they are Gators and wish them nothing but the best.

Exactly. Think that we're upset, frustrated, and feel misled? Imagine these kids that pinned their futures to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator