Matt Jones on Jim McElwain: ‘Guys Love Playing For Him’

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good read here, glad to hear this from a former player (although he didn't play for McElwain he's still connected to the program):

https://campusinsiders.com/news/matt-jones-jim-mcelwain-11-01-2016/

• College Football
  • November 2, 2016
Former Gators RB Matt Jones On Jim McElwain: ‘Guys Love Playing For Him’
7a3c8c9928b38d0269488f4ca45c75da
by Robert Judin

01:29

LIVE

upload_2016-11-3_14-57-21.gif
upload_2016-11-3_14-57-21.png upload_2016-11-3_14-57-21.png
Former Florida running back Matt Jones joined the Gator Nation Football Podcast to discuss Jordan Scarlett and Lamical Perine as future NFL players, as well as the job Jim McElwain’s done with the Gators.

It was a breakout many Florida fans didn’t see coming. Matt Jones rushed for 1,431 yards and 11 touchdowns in 28 games in three seasons with the Gators.

He then really turned it on once he joined the Washington Redskins as a third-round pick in 2015. Jones rushed for 490 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie before the Reskins let Alfred Morris walk to the Dallas Cowboys and subsequently turned the starting job over to the former Gator.

Jones has rushed for 460 yards and three touchdowns in seven games this season despite being a bit banged up, though he confirmed to the Gator Nation Football Podcast that he’s healthy and ready to go.

Incidentally, when he joined the GNFP, Jones discussed the current state of the Florida football team — specifically its backfield.

Sophomore Jordan Scarlett leads the team with 468 rushing yards and six touchdowns, and true freshman Lamical Perine has been a pleasant surprise with 436 yards and two touchdowns from scrimmage. Jones believes both of them could have bright futures in the league once their college days are over.

“I really love Scarlett, love the way he runs. And Perine, just seeing how big he is and how he can get downhill,” Jones said. “They have bright futures ahead of them. They just need to keep complimenting each other, because that backfield is dangerous.”

When they do get to the NFL, things will be a bit different. Jones shed some light on the differences between the college game and the pro game from a running back’s perspective.

“Knowledge, just gaining knowledge and being able to take a pounding,” Jones said. “It’s not such a big deal, but there are little things like learning the game and seeing where you fit in. [It’s about] learning how to be a protector in the backfield. It’s not a big difference, but take care of the little things, and the sky’s the limit.”

As far as the Florida team as a whole is concerned, Jones had plenty of positive things to say about the job Jim McElwain’s done in Gainesville. Jones never played for him; he was in the Will Muschamp era. But the former Gator can see the team loves going to battle for its head coach.

“The team is very competitive. I love the way they’re being coached by coach McElwain,” Jones said. “The players say he’s a real cool guy. He gets to know you personally and talks about life with you. Most coaches don’t, but he has a true relationship with the players. They love playing for him. He’s a nice guy overall.”

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Good read here, glad to hear this from a former player (although he didn't play for McElwain he's still connected to the program):

https://campusinsiders.com/news/matt-jones-jim-mcelwain-11-01-2016/

• College Football
  • November 2, 2016
Former Gators RB Matt Jones On Jim McElwain: ‘Guys Love Playing For Him’
7a3c8c9928b38d0269488f4ca45c75da
by Robert Judin

LIVE

View attachment 4269
View attachment 4270 View attachment 4268
Former Florida running back Matt Jones joined the Gator Nation Football Podcast to discuss Jordan Scarlett and Lamical Perine as future NFL players, as well as the job Jim McElwain’s done with the Gators.

It was a breakout many Florida fans didn’t see coming. Matt Jones rushed for 1,431 yards and 11 touchdowns in 28 games in three seasons with the Gators.

He then really turned it on once he joined the Washington Redskins as a third-round pick in 2015. Jones rushed for 490 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie before the Reskins let Alfred Morris walk to the Dallas Cowboys and subsequently turned the starting job over to the former Gator.

Jones has rushed for 460 yards and three touchdowns in seven games this season despite being a bit banged up, though he confirmed to the Gator Nation Football Podcast that he’s healthy and ready to go.

Incidentally, when he joined the GNFP, Jones discussed the current state of the Florida football team — specifically its backfield.

Sophomore Jordan Scarlett leads the team with 468 rushing yards and six touchdowns, and true freshman Lamical Perine has been a pleasant surprise with 436 yards and two touchdowns from scrimmage. Jones believes both of them could have bright futures in the league once their college days are over.

“I really love Scarlett, love the way he runs. And Perine, just seeing how big he is and how he can get downhill,” Jones said. “They have bright futures ahead of them. They just need to keep complimenting each other, because that backfield is dangerous.”

When they do get to the NFL, things will be a bit different. Jones shed some light on the differences between the college game and the pro game from a running back’s perspective.

“Knowledge, just gaining knowledge and being able to take a pounding,” Jones said. “It’s not such a big deal, but there are little things like learning the game and seeing where you fit in. [It’s about] learning how to be a protector in the backfield. It’s not a big difference, but take care of the little things, and the sky’s the limit.”

As far as the Florida team as a whole is concerned, Jones had plenty of positive things to say about the job Jim McElwain’s done in Gainesville. Jones never played for him; he was in the Will Muschamp era. But the former Gator can see the team loves going to battle for its head coach.

“The team is very competitive. I love the way they’re being coached by coach McElwain,” Jones said. “The players say he’s a real cool guy. He gets to know you personally and talks about life with you. Most coaches don’t, but he has a true relationship with the players. They love playing for him. He’s a nice guy overall.”
I can't read enough stories like this... No doubt the jury is still out, but I see gradual improvement and a drastic change in the team from last year... I cannot wait to see the Gators with another year in his system.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So he's a players Coach? Isn't that a big problem with a lot of unsuccessful coaches?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You ever notice how no players ever say they love playing for Saban or Meyer?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Didn't guys love playing for Zooker and Muschamp?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Quite a few players stated they loved playing for Spurrier and Meyer too... Saban not so much. They all love a guy until he isn't their coach. Zook was loved up until Meyer took over.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Well, this article is about a player who DIDN'T play for McElwain saying that he's hearing players who he played with saying that they like playing for him. I think it's a good thing.

Honestly, I don't recall many saying they loved playing for Muschamp. But Tebow and PLENTY of players say they loved playing for Meyer. And Spurrier has a great relationship w/ his former players.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is an attribute, not some sort of definition of how successful a coach can, or cannot, be. You can win games and still have your players like you(Spurrier). You can win, and have players generally not like you(Meyer). Zook and WM were fired because they lost. The fact that their players liked them doesn't have anything to do with them being failures.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Sorry, but the folks on this board will spin a national championship into a negative...
Yes it is amazing how much negativity is on this board for a coach and team that won the SEC East last season and is in the hunt for a repeat. Honest criticism, X's and O's analysis is to be expected and welcomed, but so many of the comments I see here seem to serve only to put down a second year coach still rebuilding from a big mess. I think he has done a remarkable job considering the circumstances. And by the way, Coach Mac is going to be around UF for a while and nothing that is said here is going to change that.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Yes it is amazing how much negativity is on this board for a coach and team that won the SEC East last season and is in the hunt for a repeat. Honest criticism, X's and O's analysis is to be expected and welcomed, but so many of the comments I see here seem to serve only to put down a second year coach still rebuilding from a big mess. I think he has done a remarkable job considering the circumstances. And by the way, Coach Mac is going to be around UF for a while and nothing that is said here is going to change that.
The way we ended the season, and getting curb-stomped by meatchicken, couple that with the lack of recruiting and the negativity is justified. And while the offense has shown flashes of improvement, the meltdown against band boy was a serious red flag. However, if we can win out or at least be competitive and exciting against lsu, the clowns, and bama, then i think we'll see a more positive reaction on this board. But most of all, we need quality wins going forward and some positive news on the recruiting trail or this board, our phones and PCs will spontaneously combust.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Like I've said a few times in multiple threads when the Dr. Deaths come out of the basement on this topic... my eyes see better camaraderie 'between' the units and play with some form of a plan... helluva lot better than that cluster F look the Chump fielded... those kids looked hesitant and half hearted. We may not be flashy or a juggernaut yet but it looks like we're growing an identity again and are at least in the hunt to rep the East.
Go Gators!!

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

It's not about the Xs and Os, it's about the Jimmys and Joes.

I love that his players love him...but mid-level talent that loves him will still struggle on the field. Bring in top talent that loves him, and the fanbase will love him too.

Well, most of the fanbase. Some of the #$%#s around here are just miserable. :)

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Mac did a tremendous job last year in changing the culture and attitude left over from the Chump. Inspite of inheriting sh!t for an OL, he had things really going his way until steroid boy effed up. Rather than trying to change the offense for the short-term Treon, they chose to stick with their long-term offensive plan, which may have cost a game but needed for the long term.

The season end consequently resulted in a bad way and negatively impacted recruiting. How much, we won't know but recruiting is Mac's big question mark.

They really need to upgrade some of their coaches/recruiting and get some stud LB's and OL.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Liking their coach will radiate into the recruits that get exposed to our players. Intelligent recruits see
CFB as part of their enjoyable college "life". Playing for, learning from, developing from a "fun" HC beats
being cursed at by a Dumpster-ire coach or at the hands of an HC so rich in 4*,5* that he couldn't give a
crap about you.??

It's actually our blessing that Mac comes to us as a minor leaguer with flaws because as such he achieved
a 10-win SEC East Champioship first season and has us on our way to SEC CG #2. Will he do worse once
he develops his program out of the doldrums ditch we were pitched into for years ? Mac seems to be a
solutions type guy. In a couple of more seasons bet Mac's UF becomes a leader in recruiting.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Liking their coach will radiate into the recruits that get exposed to our players. Intelligent recruits see
CFB as part of their enjoyable college "life". Playing for, learning from, developing from a "fun" HC beats
being cursed at by a Dumpster-ire coach or at the hands of an HC so rich in 4*,5* that he couldn't give a
crap about you.??

It's actually our blessing that Mac comes to us as a minor leaguer with flaws because as such he achieved
a 10-win SEC East Champioship first season and has us on our way to SEC CG #2. Will he do worse once
he develops his program out of the doldrums ditch we were pitched into for years ? Mac seems to be a
solutions type guy. In a couple of more seasons bet Mac's UF becomes a leader in recruiting.

I sure hope so Rog or a few us around here (me included) are going to look like this... with Dubs stirring the tar... :stirpot: :D

the-hives-tarred-and-feathered-new-album-july-2010.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope so Rog or a few us around here (me included) are going to look like this... with Dubs stirring the tar... :stirpot: :D

the-hives-tarred-and-feathered-new-album-july-2010.jpg

'nother pun ?
"So many times that guy's been tarred & feathered and run out of town that I'd hate to be in his shoos."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Recruits line up 200 deep trying to play for Satan and Leyer, well known azzholes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator