McElwain: OT Sharpe "as talented as any OL in college football"

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good story on the OL, w/ some quotes from the head coach:

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/M...160519_111224_Florida Gators&utm_content=Link

Florida coach Jim McElwain had some serious holes on the offensive line when he walked into the job in Gainesville, but he's done his best to patch them up since.

He started three true freshmen at various points last year, and he believes he now has a much better unit. Getting leadership from some players who are now third- and fourth-year players has been huge for the group.

"I think it starts with us, obviously, our left tackle David Sharpe growing up and becoming a leader," McElwain told Sports Illustrated in an interview broadcast live on Facebook. "He's a guy that's as talented as any offensive lineman in college football, and he had a really good spring. Watching him carry that through the summer and how he affects the people around him in a positive way is something we're really looking forward to."

Sharpe will be heading up a group that still needs to make some major strides this summer. There are still a handful of unknowns, including who will round out the starting rotation both inside and at right tackle.

Along with Sharpe at left tackle, freshman Tyler Jordan seems to have cemented his spot at guard. Meanwhile, center Cameron Dillard was battling with redshirt freshman T.J. McCoy for the starting job, while left guard Antonio Riles was being pushed by a number of players.

The right side was perhaps most problematic in the spring, though. Talented 6-foot-6 tackle Fredrick Johnson is still extremely raw. He may well be pushed for his starting spot by equally athletic prospect Martez Ivey, who was limited by injuries in his true freshman campaign, where he played left guard.

"Martez will be back, obviously Tyler Jordan and Fred Johnson who were all three true freshmen last year that had to play probably a little earlier than we wanted and yet, valuable lessons learned," McElwain said. "To see the communication in that group is something that has gotten better."

Regardless, McElwain knows his offense won't truly be able to thrive until the offensive line is up to snuff.

The good news?

The Gators should be set for the next few years with a young core that has now gotten plenty of valuable experience. It's just a matter of a young unit growing up and going from shaky to serviceable to strong.

One step at a time.

"Look, it doesn't matter what coach you're talking to, it all starts up front, both offense and defensive lines," McElwain said. "We're a little bit better at O-line than we were a year ago."

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
These reports ... so Sharpe must be a 6* OT ??

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Riles is being pushed by a number of players?

:shocked:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ivey will start.... if he's healthy. The question is if he will start at LG or RT. Missing spring means he's almost assured of playing LG IMO. I'm not sure if he would have improved his passpro well enough to move to tackle even if he had practiced in the spring. He has a long, long way to go. He's beast at run blocking though.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's 8 names mentioned in that article. Any chance Sandifer, Desir-Jones, Buchanan, or Harkless see the field or get into the rotation?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's a long time until August. I hope some of them are in the weight room making it happen.

If they aren't able to play better than Riles or Dillard, we are in for another rough year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's a long time until August. I hope some of them are in the weight room making it happen.

If they aren't able to play better than Riles or Dillard, we are in for another rough year.

Agree. I can't believe Riles is even in the mix. Sure, he could improve from year to year...but he was pretty bad (even in the spring game). I think he could provide solid depth, but to be a fulltime starter will be....bad.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I can't believe Riles is even in the mix. Sure, he could improve from year to year
He's been here for about 6 years now.....he can't play, there's just no sugarcoating it. For the life of me I can't understand how some of these guys can be 300# plus and suck so bad. It's not like they haven't been playing football for half of their life. Even if he was converted from the defensive line he had to know how to play the position from going against offensive linemen for, oh say since the 6th grade. Don't most defensive linemen play offensive line in HS these days?
Speaking of which, didn't FSU take some guy from Uganda a couple of years ago and turn him into a drafted offensive linemen? Why do we struggle so much developing guys who have supposedly been playing football a long time?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He's been here for about 6 years now.....he can't play, there's just no sugarcoating it. For the life of me I can't understand how some of these guys can be 300# plus and suck so bad. It's not like they haven't been playing football for half of their life. Even if he was converted from the defensive line he had to know how to play the position from going against offensive linemen for, oh say since the 6th grade. Don't most defensive linemen play offensive line in HS these days?
Speaking of which, didn't FSU take some guy from Uganda a couple of years ago and turn him into a drafted offensive linemen? Why do we struggle so much developing guys who have supposedly been playing football a long time?

I keep reading how we have "the best OL coach" in the business.....

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

He got permanently musschamped?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I keep reading how we have "the best OL coach" in the business.....
We don't have the best anything in the business. We have a few OK guys but the majority are bottom tier coaches. It is what it is. We knew that when we hired them. You have to be delusional to think that top coaches can be found at FAU, FIU, USF, and EKU. They were there for a reason. And if that isn't enough clue for us, the fact that no one is interested in hiring them away after seeing their product on the field should seal the deal.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I took out of the article that Riles "being pushed" by other players isn't that much of a compliment. More like if he doesn't get it together he won't be starting. And what I've seen he shouldn't. If Ivey is ready he'll be at LG. If some of those that are pushing Riles completely pancake him and knock him over, there will be another LG and perhaps allow Ivey to go back to Tackle. It may have been more of Mac putting Riles on notice. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator