McElwain's Press Conference (Monday 8/28/17)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/jim-mcelwian-live-blog-08282017

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Game week is finally here, and the No. 17 Florida Gators are getting ready for their season opener against No. 11 Michigan on Saturday.

Florida coach Jim McElwain is speaking to the media now to preview the matchup. A potential quarterback announcement could be waiting in the wings as well. Stay tuned for full updates once McElwain arrives.

• “It’s time. … We’re looking forward to the game in Dallas.” McElwain said the team’s thoughts are with those affected by Hurricane Harvey. “There’s excitement for the game happening and yet there’s real life happening.”
  • McElwain on Michigan: “A team that when you look and study where they’ve gone. … you kind of have to go on what is their history?” McElwain said there will be new wrinkles for both teams. “The unknown piece of that first game really comes down to you more so than your opponent.”
  • McElwain acknowledged Michigan will have a lot of new starters but added that “most of them are on film” from last season. He added that Michigan’s defense “forces you to lose on first and second down.” They get opponents into “uncomfortable situations and behind the sticks.”
  • McElwain worked with Michigan’s offensive coordinator at Montana State.
  • McElwain said the Gators need to take advantage on special teams — specifically mentioning the return game.
  • “With that, it should be a lot of fun. I know our guys are looking forward to it.” McElwain said the team leaves Friday and will do a walk-through that night.
  • “The quarterback situation, we have a plan it’s in place. I’m not going to tell you who it is. … We’ll leave that for them to guess as well.”
  • McElwain said Kylan Johnson (hamstring) is “a little iffy” for the game on Saturday. He went through individual drills.
  • McElwain on element of surprise of not naming a QB: “They’re going to prepare for the read-option and quarterback run stuff as well as keeping the guy in the pocket.”
  • McElwain said he won’t show the team film from Michigan loss in Citrus Bowl. “That was two full years ago. Two different teams. I don’t think we have that in the system. I think I threw up all over it.
  • McElwain on QBs: “I think it will evolve as we go. I know it’s one of those deals that it’s as important as anything because of that position.”
  • Wide receiver James Robinson will not play after being cited for marijuana possession last week.
  • McElwain on if there’s a fine line between too amped up and treating it like a normal game: “I think what you try to do is let the game itself and the atmosphere take care of that. … Our players, they come to the University of Florida to play in games like this. I’m excited for them to enjoy it as well. Let’s go embrace the opportunity and have fun doing it as well.”
  • McElwain on OL Tyler Jordan: “It’s invaluable and he’s had a really good camp. He’s basically played all five spots. … I don’t know how rare it is. You try to figure out your top eight, nine guys and make sure you have the flexibility to have your best five.”
  • McElwain on if the plan will roll out to a game-time decision: “We’ve got a plan. The opponent has nothing to do with it. We’ve just got to go play.”
  • With Antonio Callaway suspended for the season opener, Brandon Powell and Dre Massey will handle punt returns. McElwain also said Tyrie Cleveland has handled kickoff returns well during camp.
  • “I like our team. I like what they’ve done this offseason. I like what they’ve done this camp. They’ve come together and we’ll see.”

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
:facepalm:....and yet.....

He managed "and yet", a "deal", and a Montana reference all within 11 questions.:lol:

On the positives, I like the approach and again I do like that he isn't shy about saying he likes this team(no excuses).

Negatives, hate seeing Robinson out. And really uncomfortable with the "evolve" talk concerning the QB position. Saying that at this stage basically confirms that we are still indecisive and will see multiple guys over the season.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
He managed "and yet", a "deal", and a Montana reference all within 11 questions.:lol:

On the positives, I like the approach and again I do like that he isn't shy about saying he likes this team(no excuses).

Negatives, hate seeing Robinson out. And really uncomfortable with the "evolve" talk concerning the QB position. Saying that at this stage basically confirms that we are still indecisive and will see multiple guys over the season.
Yeah he is doing some serious tap dancing around this issue, which is very disheartening. All other Power 5 teams made a decision on their QBs whether they wanted to or not, this is for the team and someone to rally behind. I'm sure when we are 116th in offense this season he will spin this as an excuse ...."we played 3 QBs and couldn't build any consistency...etc, etc, etc."

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

I don't care much what he says or how he says it, it is what the team does that counts. Part of that is what the coaches have them trained to do and how they actually call the game.

Time will of course tell!!! Go Gators!!

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like this (my) team too, but I'm not able to help them win... either.

QB by committee is going to be a b!tch to watch

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
  • McElwain acknowledged Michigan will have a lot of new starters but added that “most of them are on film” from last season.

Telling. Those blow out wins get the back ups much needed experience. Can't stress this enough. I hope our experience is enough to overcome coaching.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Quite the skills. And yet it's a deal that I don't really care about if he is doing a winning deal instead of getting blown out deal.

(no excuses).
And yet.......

There will be many, many excuses.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Coach saying what coaches do.

Let's play the game.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It sounds like Del Rio with a splash of Zaire.

Meh.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
At this point, I don't care who starts..... Just find the Hot hand and stick with him.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Surely, there is a more positive-drive attitude for our guy's HC to feel/express. Such a Zenlax attitude can't fire-up the other coaches, players? {Hey, Zenlax would be a fine name to sell a sedative drug.} = Mac is Coach Zenlax, Coach Zenlax Mac.

There are too many "we'll try", "yets", "buts", "and yets", and "but still" to be a dynamic confident HC-leader ... hope our lesser coaches are more. Gators should be inspired CFB-players. The word win was never said?? Stricklin needs to pay for an Anthony Robbins intervention.

Really, for this National-stage game, I hope our players get their "fire" from somewhere??

Last edited:

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes I get the feeling Mac is still looking for the popcorn bags in the gymnasium maintenance closet...

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't care much what he says or how he says it, it is what the team does that counts. Part of that is what the coaches have them trained to do and how they actually call the game.

Time will of course tell!!! Go Gators!!

I am with you. All that matters is winning at a decent clip like he has and having a decent offense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator