McElwain's Wednesday Press Conference (10/12)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
For your reading enjoyment:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/live-blog-jim-mcelwain-updates-gators-preparations-for-Missouri

Highlights from Jim McElwain’s news conference Wednesday

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Jim McElwain met with reporters to talk about the week and the No. 18-ranked Gators’ game Saturday with Missouri.

Here were the highlights:

• On Homecoming this week: “First off the idea of playing Homecoming is something I want our guys to make sure they understand the importance, especially with another reunion of a national championship team coming back. I think that’s great for our fans, great for the town and for the university. Coach Spurrier will talk to the team tomorrow and will have an opportunity to kind of give his perspective on the importance as well as some former players who will have on Friday.”
  • On Missouri: “A team who lives off of explosive plays. We’ll find out how good our secondary is because we’ll get tested a lot.”
  • Injuries: LB Daniel McMillian (shoulder) practiced. “I’m pretty sure he’ll be ready to go.” … CB Joseph Putu is “banged up with an ankle, but should be ready to go.” … WR C.J. Worton missed practice Wednesday … DT Caleb Brantley didn’t go full today due to hand injury. “I don’t know what his deal is, but we’ll have guys who will show up and play.”
  • On Missouri QB Drew Lock: “What I see is (him) getting the ball out of his hand, being decisive and making decisions. … When you guys watch him play live, I think you’ll appreciate his arm talent. That’s one thing that stands out.”
  • On Luke Del Rio’s command of offense: “He obviously is comfortable with it. I thought Austin was comfortable with it, and Austin will be ready to play. They split reps with the ones. We’ll start Luke and see how it goes from there.”
  • On penalty problems: “I tell you what it tells me is we’ve got some selfish guys. … Let’s put it this way. It’s not something we practice, but it’s also a choice. … I’m OK with effort penalties. I’m OK with that. Sometimes it happens — that’s the game. It’s the unforced errors that need to be cut down.”
  • On tight end DeAndre Goolsby: “I think he’s starting to scratch the surface of how good a player he can be.”
  • On freshman WR Tyrie Cleveland: “I think he’s back healthy. He’s put some pretty good back-to-back weeks together. He’s a guy we thought would (play) a big part, and as we move forward (he’ll get more) opportunities.”
  • On the LSU stuff and criticism of the postponement, again: “As I said before, we’ll go play them anywhere. I don’t get where this is coming from.”
  • On Florida’s rough game with Missouri here two years ago (before he was the coach): “I knew nothing about that. I watched the tape. I think we were worried about trying to beat New Mexico or something that year (at Colorado State). If that’s what it takes for them to get excited, I hope it is (a motivator). Can you bring it up to them?”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:butters:

I wish hed spend more time recruiting and prepping for the game and forego these useless press conferences.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
DT Caleb Brantley didn’t go full today due to hand injury. “I don’t know what his deal is, but we’ll have guys who will show up and play.”
Was that a shot? Serious question, because in the past he's made similar passive aggressive statements and you could tell listening that it was a shot. I have no idea here because I'm just reading the transcript. Anyone know?

Whether it was or wasn't, the reason I'm curious is because we seem to have a lot of lazy and entitled attitudes on this team, and frankly I'm past the point of blaming the players for it. At some point if its becoming somewhat epidemic or indicative of the team makeup, its not a personal/personnel issue... its a coaching staff issue.

Just tired of the undisciplined/uninspired play at this point. We get it, players are lazy, players are selfish, players do dumb things... yeah, they are 18-21 year olds in college. Its as shocking as being told water is wet. Most of them are like that if they are allowed to be regardless of what team they're on. The reason some teams have that crap and others don't is due to level of discipline enforced.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Was that a shot? Serious question, because in the past he's made similar passive aggressive statements and you could tell listening that it was a shot. I have no idea here because I'm just reading the transcript. Anyone know?

Whether it was or wasn't, the reason I'm curious is because we seem to have a lot of lazy and entitled attitudes on this team, and frankly I'm past the point of blaming the players for it. At some point if its becoming somewhat epidemic or indicative of the team makeup, its not a personal/personnel issue... its a coaching staff issue.

Just tired of the undisciplined/uninspired play at this point. We get it, players are lazy, players are selfish, players do dumb things... yeah, they are 18-21 year olds in college. Its as shocking as being told water is wet. Most of them are like that if they are allowed to be regardless of what team they're on. The reason some teams have that crap and others don't is due to level of discipline enforced.

Seems like the players are feeding off the laissez-faire attitude of their head coach. At least that is how Mac comes across, because you know these are all choices the kids make.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Just saw the injury update thread, looks like it was a shot. :shake:

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member

As far as injuries go, I don't mind players opting out a day if it means they have more healing time with the result of playing better on Saturday and playing more of the season, and playing it usefully. A hand injury could be a pretty big deal. Affects pretty much everything you do in life, one way or another. I don't remember what his is, if they ever said. Cut? Misalignment? Sprain? Like the song says, the hand bone's connected to the wrist bone, etc. I've seen enough injuries, a lot of them old, and poorly healed, or incompletely addressed, to not prejudge him as lazy. There is a domino effect from any old injured area on other parts of the body through time. Better to heal up well while it is fresh and minimize that domino effect..

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This was a better read when I played some Ravi Shankar in the background. I'm not getting much from these and haven't been for a bit.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just saw the injury update thread, looks like it was a shot. :shake:

Yep it does seem like he doesn't have the full repect of the players possibly. Saban and them say stuff like this but it gets the attention of the players but when Mac does it it seems to fall flat. Same when Mac tries to attack the press Saban style on questions he doesnt like when he hasn't won crap yet.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yep it does seem like he doesn't have the full repect of the players possibly. Saban and them say stuff like this but it gets the attention of the players but when Mac does it it seems to fall flat. Same when Mac tries to attack the press Saban style on questions he doesnt like when he hasn't won crap yet.
IMO the issue isn't what he says, it's what he's not doing. Saban, Meyer, Steveo, all of them would call somebody on the team or staff out if they felt it was necessary so I have no problem with Mac taking a shot if he thinks its warranted. But calling someone out and that's the end of it is what we've had here under chump. He needs to understand that identifying the issue is the STARTING point, not the destination. You actually have to get it corrected coach.

Nobody minds Saban taking a shot because us and those players know damn well its about to get bumpy and he's gonna get it corrected quick. All weve seen so far from Mac is a lot of coach speak and some shots here or there but not a damn bit of improvement or even a change in attitude or focus. Sorry, but when this is all were getting, all I hear is a whole lot more of "That's on me, but we'll get if fixed."

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
For your reading enjoyment:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/live-blog-jim-mcelwain-updates-gators-preparations-for-Missouri

Highlights from Jim McElwain’s news conference Wednesday

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Jim McElwain met with reporters to talk about the week and the No. 18-ranked Gators’ game Saturday with Missouri.

Here were the highlights:
  • On penalty problems: “I tell you what it tells me is we’ve got some selfish guys. … Let’s put it this way. It’s not something we practice, but it’s also a choice. … I’m OK with effort penalties. I’m OK with that. Sometimes it happens — that’s the game. It’s the unforced errors that need to be cut down.”

You know what the penalty problems tell me??? We've got some lazy coaches that can't or won't correct the problem by coaching the players up. You don't practice penalties? No sheat, does any team? How's this for a choice...why don't you and the other coaches put your cleats up the asses of the players that won't play more disciplined (and that includes not only penalties but also missed assignments, poor tackling, etc.) so they stop making mistakes and if that doesn't work, BENCH THEM and send a message to the team.

Oh, and you know what else they apparently don't practice...special teams.

His mumbo-jumbo California cool coach speak is really annoying.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I'm starting to wonder if this isn't part of the problem in his recruiting too, the nonchalant "come here if you want, or don't, makes no difference to me" attitude. Nick Saban can get away with that maybe because he has two hands full of rings, Hee Haw hasn't won a darn thing.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
IMO the issue isn't what he says, it's what he's not doing. Saban, Meyer, Steveo, all of them would call somebody on the team or staff out if they felt it was necessary so I have no problem with Mac taking a shot if he thinks its warranted. But calling someone out and that's the end of it is what we've had here under chump. He needs to understand that identifying the issue is the STARTING point, not the destination. You actually have to get it corrected coach.

Nobody minds Saban taking a shot because us and those players know damn well its about to get bumpy and he's gonna get it corrected quick. All weve seen so far from Mac is a lot of coach speak and some shots here or there but not a damn bit of improvement or even a change in attitude or focus. Sorry, but when this is all were getting, all I hear is a whole lot more of "That's on me, but we'll get if fixed."
The multitude of stupid stuff is what's pisses me off the most and tells me there is a coaching disconnect somewhere.

Calloway making the same bonehead punt return mistake twice in the same season would have been bad enough. But twice in the same damn game? Since freakin' Pop Warner you are taught to put your heels on the ten yard line and let anything over your head go.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This was a better read when I played some Ravi Shankar in the background. I'm not getting much from these and haven't been for a bit.
Maybe you should play "slob on my knob" by 3 6 mafia. That might make these more entertaining.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The multitude of stupid stuff is what's pisses me off the most and tells me there is a coaching disconnect somewhere.

Calloway making the same bonehead punt return mistake twice in the same season would have been bad enough. But twice in the same damn game?
Three times muh brutha. He caught the ball twice inside the three and muffed one on the five

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe you should play "slob on my knob" by 3 6 mafia. That might make these more entertaining.
WTH?! :shocked:

I feel like the shroud of mist over the sig "t likes the white sauce" is lifting! :)

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
Mcelwain is undefeated when he has his starting qb. Also UF has been the most penalized team in the SEC since as long as I can remember.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Mac should just put a bar code on that speech and call it up with a Publix wand at every presser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.