Memorial Day Musings

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
A week from today our country recognizes those men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of liberty. To me, this is our most sacred national holiday. It is a time to remember those fallen heroes who are the reason we are free. At the cost of their lives, they protected us from tyranny spawned abroad and at home. They choose to give their “last, full measure of devotion” for our sake. Memorial Day is not to recognize serving or former members of the military services, Veterans’ Day is for that. Armed Forces Day exists to thank current soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines and now guardians for their on-going service. No, Memorial Day is to remember and honor “heroes proved in liberating strife” who, having placed their lives between their beloved home and war’s desolation, paid in their blood for all of us. On the last Monday in May, before the hamburgers are grilled, before the hotdogs are cooked and before you enjoy the beach or mountains, take some time to gaze on our Flag, contemplate the cost of freedom, and get down on your knees and thank God for those Heroes. Remember; never forget; never cease to be grateful; never let the torch of Liberty fall to the ground. We are surrounded by a great cloud of heroes who are watching.

In Flanders Fields

BY JOHN MCCRAE

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly,

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie,

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Memorial Day is not to recognize serving or former members of the military services, Veterans’ Day is for that. Armed Forces Day exists to thank current soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines and now guardians for their on-going service

THIS

thank you for delineating that

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Many years ago, I polled my friends on an appropriate Memorial Day salutation. "Happy Memorial Day!" just didn't feel right.

Thoughtful
Meaningful
Respectful
Grateful

What do you guys think?

Alex.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thank you for sharing........

Everytime I visit the Vietnam Wall, I stand before friends names etched in stone, and cry like a baby. The emotions are complex and very real!

Semper Fi

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Thank you. Hard to type with blurry eyes.

no kidding...

a couple of thoughts came to mind.

as much as we give the French a bunch of sh!t for ... you know, being French, I counted a huge amount of our fallen that they are honoring in that video.

and... unless we forget, they were a very integral part in helping us achieve our independence from Britain.

I was at Pearl a few years ago on business and we went out to see the USS Arizona Memorial.
When the host told the story about how each year as the last remaining survivors of that day pass on, they have their ashes entombed by a Navy diver back into the ship with their mates who lost their lives that day.
Talk about blurry eyes.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
no kidding...

a couple of thoughts came to mind.

as much as we give the French a bunch of sh!t for ... you know, being French, I counted a huge amount of our fallen that they are honoring in that video.

and... unless we forget, they were a very integral part in helping us achieve our independence from Britain.

I was at Pearl a few years ago on business and we went out to see the USS Arizona Memorial.
When the host told the story about how each year as the last remaining survivors of that day pass on, they have their ashes entombed by a Navy diver back into the ship with their mates who lost their lives that day.
Talk about blurry eyes.
Yes sir. We've been to Oahu twice and the only must do I have on the agenda is the trip to the Arizona. Blurry eyes and much gratitude for men who didn't expect to die that day.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Thank you for that video. John WIlliams never ceases to amaze me. I should have known he composed that. I took both my teens to Arlington on spring break and even the 14 yr old girl was awe struck. My son , named after my brother, who was in the Old Guard at Arlington, stood a parade rest while observing the soldier on duty that day. The crosses in all those cemetaries have a story but the real story is how they prevailed in those battles not so long ago. I did not know we had many buried in the Phillipines. Thanks again. That video should be shown in every HS history class in America each year. Along with the lessons we learned when their great grandparents were saving the world.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Thank you for that video. John WIlliams never ceases to amaze me. I should have known he composed that. I took both my teens to Arlington on spring break and even the 14 yr old girl was awe struck. My son , named after my brother, who was in the Old Guard at Arlington, stood a parade rest while observing the soldier on duty that day. The crosses in all those cemetaries have a story but the real story is how they prevailed in those battles not so long ago. I did not know we had many buried in the Phillipines. Thanks again. That video should be shown in every HS history class in America each year. Along with the lessons we learned when their great grandparents were saving the world.
One other thing to teach about those crosses Coach. America has responded to the call to defend liberty throughout the 20th and 21st centuries; the only land we have ever sought is enough plots to bury our dead.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yes sir. We've been to Oahu twice and the only must do I have on the agenda is the trip to the Arizona. Blurry eyes and much gratitude for men who didn't expect to die that day.

I will be there on Tuesday.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

They can’t teach these lessons in school because it would hinder the children’s ability to hate their country.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Prayers for all that have fallen, for those that have served, and especially for those still serving

John 15:13 ESV
Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
To the 1,304,700 estimated Americans who gave everything, honoring your efforts and thanking you is all we can do, but never forgetting those efforts, ultimate sacrifices and what they meant to all of us is something we have to do. Thank you.

To all Vets, thank you

To all active duty, thank you and stay safe.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
284583228_5438428022847987_9005207001124461035_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics