Memorial Day

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
A day late but wanted to lay this down....

I've done a few things in my life I'm proud of and a few that I'm not.

I've been hard....but always fair, consistent and loyal. I've tried to live a life of service to my country and community. I've tried, not always successfully, to put the needs of others above my own.

But the one thing I am most proud of is when as a young enlisted Marine I was assigned to a ceremonial honor guard unit. Initially, I viewed it as an one more additional assignment. Then I served on my first funeral detail.

Serving fallen Marines and their families was the most impactful thing I have ever done.

It was the honor of my life.

Perspective.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

I've been hard....but always fair, consistent and loyal. I've tried to live a life of service to my country and community. I've tried, not always successfully, to put the needs of others above my own.

But the one thing I am most proud of is when as a young enlisted Marine I was assigned to a ceremonial honor guard unit. Initially, I viewed it as an one more additional assignment. Then I served on my first funeral detail.

Serving fallen Marines and their families was the most impactful thing I have ever done.

Perspective.

One of my best friends in Law School was a Marine Master Sergeant. One of the finest human beings I've had the pleasure of knowing. He too had been assigned to honor guard duty (he even helped me refold my Father's flag). He told me a story about one particular funeral ceremony that stood out in his memory. I'm not sure who invited the Marines but apparently most of the surviving family and mourners were not happy about their presence. There was a strong Black Power/F the Man vibe to the funeral, almost like a Black Panther gathering. The honor guard did their thing while the attendees just glared at them angrily.

My friend presented the folded flag to the widow. She turned up her nose, refusing it. My friend didn't know what to do. He just wanted to get the F out of there but what about the flag? He moved on to the next mourner. Uh oh. Same reaction. Next in line avoided eye contact. WTF. He can't take the flag with him. He sees a young boy sitting up front. Son? Grandson maybe? Who cares. He presents the flag to the kid who looks up at him wide-eyed. "Take it, kid, PLEASE take it" he thinks as hard as he can as he fixes the boys gaze. The boy timidly accepts the flag and the honor guard beats a hasty retreat (or, as Gen. Oliver Smith would put it, they advanced in a different direction).

Of course the vast majority of families aren't like that. They appreciate the honor guard. Let me tell you my story.

At my Dad's funeral (WWII combat vet) the honor guard was from the VFW. I didn't know they were coming. I had held it together throughout the whole entire funeral until I heard those rifles crack. Three riflemen, three volleys each. CrackCrackCrack ..... CrackCrackCrack ..... CrackCrackCrack.

With the reports still echoing in the air, the bugler (a real bugle, not a trumpet or a recording) sounded taps. Well, that did it. Damn ninjas cutting onions in here. Still can't hear it without, well, you know, my allergies are acting up, that's why my eyes are red dammit. So just as taps ended, a giant jet roared low overhead. It looked close enough that I could count the rivets. The cemetery was near the airport, it was just a coincidence, but my Aunt was convinced it was a flyover ("just like Kennedy"). They folded the flag and presented it to my Mom with one of the casings. I don't think she put it down that day. I don't remember a damn thing anybody said at his funeral, but I will always remember (and be grateful for) the honor guard.

Of course there wasn't an opportunity at the time for me to express my gratitude to the honor guard. That's the way funerals are sometimes. So, on behalf of myself and all the other families that honor guards have helped through a difficult time, thank you Marine1 and everybody else who has ever served on an honor guard.

Alex.

Last edited:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
One of my best friends in Law School was a Marine Master Sergeant. One of the finest human beings I've had the pleasure of knowing. He too had been assigned to honor guard duty (he even helped me refold my Father's flag). He told me a story about one particular funeral ceremony that stood out in his memory. I'm not sure who invited the Marines but apparently most of the surviving family and mourners were not happy about their presence. There was a strong Black Power/F the Man vibe to the funeral, almost like a Black Panther gathering. The honor guard did their thing while the attendees just glared at them angrily.

My friend presented the folded flag to the widow. She turned up her nose, refusing it. My friend didn't know what to do. He just wanted to get the F out of there but what about the flag? He moved on to the next mourner. Uh oh. Same reaction. Next in line avoided eye contact. WTF. He can't take the flag with him. He sees a young boy sitting up front. Son? Grandson maybe? Who cares. He presents the flag to the kid who looks up at him wide-eyed. "Take it, kid, PLEASE take it" he thinks as hard as he can as he fixes the boys gaze. The boy timidly accepts the flag and the honor guard beats a hasty retreat (or, as Gen. Oliver Smith would put it, they advanced in a different direction).

Of course the vast majority of families aren't like that. They appreciate the honor guard. Let me tell you my story.

At my Dad's funeral (WWII combat vet) the honor guard was from the VFW. I didn't know they were coming. I had held it together throughout the whole entire funeral until I heard those rifles crack. Three riflemen, three volleys each. CrackCrackCrack ..... CrackCrackCrack ..... CrackCrackCrack.

With the reports still echoing in the air, the bugler (a real bugle, not a trumpet or a recording) sounded taps. Well, that did it. Damn ninjas cutting onions in here. Still can't hear it without, well, you know, my allergies are acting up, that's why my eyes are red dammit. So just as taps ended, a giant jet roared low overhead. It looked close enough that I could count the rivets. The cemetery was near the airport, it was just a coincidence, but my Aunt was convinced it was a flyover ("just like Kennedy"). They folded the flag and presented it to my Mom with one of the casings. I don't think she put it down that day. I don't remember a damn thing anybody said at his funeral, but I will always remember (and be grateful for) the honor guard.

Of course there wasn't an opportunity at the time for me to express my gratitude to the honor guard. That's the way funerals are sometimes. So, on behalf of myself and all the other families that honor guards have helped through a difficult time, thank you Marine1 and everybody else who has ever served on an honor guard.

Alex.

Alex,
I know this is none of my business but could you please add some context or details to help me understand why that family was so angry with the Marines or the Honor Guard?
What motivation could they have for such an honorable group or are they just angry people looking to blame others for everything wrong?
Excuse my ignorance but I just don't get it.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Alex,
I know this is none of my business but could you please add some context or details to help me understand why that family was so angry with the Marines or the Honor Guard?
What motivation could they have for such an honorable group or are they just angry people looking to blame others for everything wrong?
Excuse my ignorance but I just don't get it.

I don't get it either. Clearly the deceased had served (and must have served honorably). I would think the family would honor his service but I don't think they liked the idea of armed whiteys in uniform at his funeral and I don't think they valued the Flag or what the Flag represents. I assume they saw it as oppressive.

Alex.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't get it either. Clearly the deceased had served (and must have served honorably). I would think the family would honor his service but I don't think they liked the idea of armed whiteys in uniform at his funeral and I don't think they valued the Flag or what the Flag represents. I assume they saw it as oppressive.

Alex.

So their deep felt racism overrode any feelings of patriotism?

I wish I was surprised but victimization is all the rage right now

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Perspective.

M1, I'm a LCDR (O4) in the US Coast Guard. In my youth I was a US Navy Hospital Corpsman and I graduated from Field Medical School at Camp Pendleton shortly after HM "A" School. One of my proudest accomplishments as a member of the US Military is serving w/ the US Marines as a "Doc". Semper Fi, my friend.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Alex.

Alex, my dad is retired Navy and had a military funeral when I was 11 years old in the hills of east Tennessee. Same thing w/ the rifles and the bugle). It echoed in the hills. My dad is buried next to my grandmother and grandfather near Norris Dam, in Anderson County. Thanks for sharing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator