Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez killed in boating accident

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/jose-fernandez-dies-in-boating-accident.html

So sad. Puts last night into perspective.

As a Braves fan, I still loved this guy and his demeanor/attitude. Far too young to go :(

Whats even more sad is the Marlins moved his Sunday start back to Monday. Was likely thinking he had a day off today so you wonder if he would have even been out there had he had to start today?

"Jose Fernandez will have his start pushed back to Monday.

Advice: He was slated to get the ball Sunday versus Atlanta but now he'll start against the Mets on Monday. Fernandez has already logged 182 1/3 innings this year and there's a good chance the Marlins will shut him down after his next start. Adam Conley will toe the rubber in Sunday's series finale"

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hit rocks in the middle of the night, I'm sure going like a bat out of hell. Is it possible alcohol was involved?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Sad. Has to be booze or dope involved although the article link said no.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No indications of alcohol or drugs at the scene. Speed definitely a factor. Just watched the press conference.

As a Marlins fan, this is effing devastating. Kid was incredible.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
No indications of alcohol or drugs at the scene. Speed definitely a factor. Just watched the press conference.

As a Marlins fan, this is effing devastating. Kid was incredible.

As a Braves fan, this is devastating. Played the game like a kid with so much passion and enthusiasm. Truly going to miss Jose.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm completely and utterly crushed right now. Can't really say much other than that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Well, it's true that young men in their 20's don't need alcohol to do silly things. It's an awful tragedy.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
We lost one of our family in the July 4th 2014 boat wreck down there, Quite a few of the more knowledgeable boat captains there have been pushing for boat licensing and other safety measures since them. So far nothing but they haven't given up yet.

So we know firsthand what his family is going through. Prayers and condolences to them.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Whats even more sad is the Marlins moved his Sunday start back to Monday. Was likely thinking he had a day off today so you wonder if he would have even been out there had he had to start today?

"Jose Fernandez will have his start pushed back to Monday.

Advice: He was slated to get the ball Sunday versus Atlanta but now he'll start against the Mets on Monday. Fernandez has already logged 182 1/3 innings this year and there's a good chance the Marlins will shut him down after his next start. Adam Conley will toe the rubber in Sunday's series finale"
The irony of that is amazing. I doubt he would not have been out there at 2am on a boat if he was pitching the next day. So sorry for Jose Fernandez and his family. The Marlins too. He was so good. He looked like a future hall of fame possibility early in his career. But being on a fast boat at 2am or later in the dark is not a good idea for anyone. I offer my condolences to the other 2 who perished as well in this tragic accident. It reminds me of Yankees all star catcher Thurman Munson dying in 1979 in a small plane accident during the season. He wanted to be a pilot. We all want expensive toys like fast boats and our own airplane. But they can be dangerous and deadly.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I still remember when Olin and Crews were killed in that boat crash at Little Lake Nellie back in 1993. Olin was on pace to be an ace for the Indians.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Watched him smoke the Nats last weekend when I was at my dad's in NC.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
We lost one of our family in the July 4th 2014 boat wreck down there, Quite a few of the more knowledgeable boat captains there have been pushing for boat licensing and other safety measures since them. So far nothing but they haven't given up yet.

So we know firsthand what his family is going through. Prayers and condolences to them.

It is utter and complete Hell afloat in South Florida. Just off the top of my head are the three people who got boated over after a Jimmy Buffett concert, DJ Laz with his prop-chopping at the legs of some bystander who was trying to push him off a sandbar and the three kids who bashed their head in on a low bridge at high tide.

There's nothing tricky about that inlet as long as you know to stay near the channel - cause there's no jetty made of giant rocks in the channel.

It's a tragic thing when young people die. It's even more tragic when it could have been prevented being just reasonably careful.

BTW, the toxicology report isn't final. No empties were found on board. They'll check to blood content of the bodies and the credit card charges of the three - there's lots of bars you can reach by boat down here.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Legit teared up watching this. Absolutely gut wrenching. Prayers are definitely going out for his family, friends and teammates. I get sad every time I think about this situation :(

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think I'll ever cry during a baseball game as much as I have tonight. The opening ceremony and seeing these guys all in tears, and the watching Dee Gordon come across home plate after that lead off home run...gut wrenching. This has been a brutal night.

Edit to say Gordon is a lefty, took the first pitch batting right and wearing Jose's batting helmet in his honor. Then a couple pitches later did that.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
After the fireworks all were headed back to Dinner Key to load up when disaster struck. Wife and I went down the 5th as she and her cousin are real close, As in wife starts a sentence her cousin can end it close. Was her cousin's daughter who was killed.
Couple days after wreck we went to Dinner Key marina and chatted with Tow boat U.S. guy and he said that at least once a week they're fishing a vehicle out of the boat ramp...... And it's not a steep ramp
It's not much better up here in Central Fl at times on the lakes. Folks just don't know boats have no brakes.

Saw the video of the the Fernandez boat being taken away.... To me looked like they were turning to go down government cut but misjudged the breakwater.... At a 45 degree angle. The newer Contenders and such can do 60+ without even trying hard.... 60 is cruising on the water seeing as there's no brakes besides throwing the anchor or hoping to hit reverse (your lower unit will hate you for that, trust me)

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Dee's home run is an all time baseball moment, no other way to put it. It's easy to get cynical about people crying over the loss of celebrities or sports figures, but I'm not ashamed to say I've cried and cried a lot the last two days. Jose was so much more than just a great pitcher on a mediocre baseball team, especially to those who were fortunate enough to watch him pitch every 5th game either in person or on TV.

He was the little kid inside all of us living the dream of playing big league ball, and it was just so clear that he loved every single moment of it. He fled his homeland, leaving his beloved grandmother behind, just so he could live that dream. His rookie season, he spoke frequently about how much he missed his "abuela," and was finally reunited with her in late 2013, 6 years after he left Cuba. She and his mother never missed a start of his in Miami after that. It's no wonder he pitched so well at home.

At the end of the day, the amount of tributes and kind words said about him from every team and every TV personality speaks all the volumes you'll ever need to know about him. He lived life the right way, and he played baseball the right way, with joy in his heart and a smile on his face. And that's why his death is just so f*cking hard to take, and may never fully sink in.

ppinesgator

Founding Member
aka "Biggums"
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Everywhere you look in South Florida, people are wearing Marlins gear. Fernandez's untimely death is all everyone is talking about, including the media.

As much as I hate the franchise, I've broken out my circa 1993 cap myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.