Michigan Spring Practice at IMG - SEC in Full Panic

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I remember correctly, this was brought up in the Fall when Michigan asked for permission to do this. SEC binds their teams to hold Spring Practices only in States where they have campuses. Big 10 (or what ever they are called this week) doesn't have the same rule. So the Big 10 teams can travel to where ever they want to help "practice" and recruit. I know at UF when I was in High School and practicing on the track, if any member of the track team came out on the track to practice I had to leave the track because I was an eligible recruit. Now it has been 20+ years since then, but I wonder if IMG is bound by that rule or a similar one.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
UF needs to hire student to go down and hang out with signs:

No one goes to Ohio or Michigan for spring break
Why come to Florida just for spring break - stay and play football

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UF needs to hire student to go down and hang out with signs:

No one goes to Ohio or Michigan for spring break
Why come to Florida just for spring break - stay and play football
Well the optimal person would be the relative of a booster. Provided that the relative has zero official ties to UF. For example, if i was rich like some of the Bull Gators, I could ask my brother to talk to recruit and even give them money. He has zero ties to UF. I'm an alumnus so it could cause issues if I did it. Think about Luke and Miami. He paid players, but was never a booster like Shapiro. So the worst that could happen is UF ban my brother from campus.

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Michigan is in a no lose situation, if they go it's good for them, if the ncaa doesn't allow them then the sec is scared of them. They are staying in the headlines, I think Harbaugh is brilliant for this kind of stuff, I wish we were thinking outside of the box and making everyone hate us.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Michigan is in a no lose situation, if they go it's good for them, if the ncaa doesn't allow them then the sec is scared of them. They are staying in the headlines, I think Harbaugh is brilliant for this kind of stuff, I wish we were thinking outside of the box and making everyone hate us.
UF needs to post pics of Columbus and Ann Arbor every day in the fall, winter and spring. Not that first day of snow pic, that might be alluring to a kid from Fla, but the shytty slushy brown snow and salt, cars in ditches stuff. We should also install a refrigerator with a "It's this cold in Ann Arbor or Columbus" experience. These kids don't even understand not seeing the sun for three or four months.

There's a reason people from Michigan and Ohio move to Florida as so they can after they retire.

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
They sure don't appear to be bound by any rules.

I attended Trinity Christian Academy here in Jax. I know for a fact they've been breaking the rules. Dorminey has been doing so since I was attending years ago. So I'd be stunned if IMG was clean. Maybe I'm just jaded after watching TCA do business for 2 decades.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I can't believe the ncaa is allowing this. This would be like isis setting up a military training camp in America. It's not right at all.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Read the last paragraph of the article:

"The net of that is to say the Southeastern Conference is not going to be outpaced in recruiting," Sankey [SEC commissioner] said. "If the national approach is that we want to have more aggressive summer camps and coaches touring around all summer, then we will not only engage in that behavior, we will certainly engage in that behavior more actively -- probably more effectively than others."

In other words: "Don't get in a spending match with Donald Trump."

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

"The net of that is to say the Southeastern Conference is not going to be outpaced in recruiting," Sankey [SEC commissioner] said. "If the national approach is that we want to have more aggressive summer camps and coaches touring around all summer, then we will not only engage in that behavior, we will certainly engage in that behavior more actively -- probably more effectively than others."

:lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I don't know how much that scares them. I don't think it does at all. We don't want to go to Michigan to hold camp for a week in hopes of getting the next Cam Dillard.

What it really means is that Bammer, Ugly, LSU and Ole Miss want to come to Florida also. Bammer has been VERY LOUD about it, as if they aren't clubbing our azzes enough.

Florida is the one who gets screwed through all this. Good thing we have our AD relentlessly representing our interest in all this, like he always has. o_O

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Finebaum was reporting on this. He basically said the SEC commish said the NCAA could stop this mess or the SEC would jump in the game and do it better than the Big 10 ever could.

I think the big thing to remember is that Harbaugh will get bored and be gone in 5 yrs or less.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Come to Meatchicken where you'll freeze your arse off. Go to Florida for a week for spring practice, then freeze your arse off again when you go back.

Sep 29, 2015
I find it ironic that Michigan is pulling this stunt when it was only a few years ago under Rich Rod that the NCAA dinged Michigan for over-working and over-practicing its kids.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think this is a brilliant move by Harbaugh. It should not be allowed by the NCAA, but while it is he is smart to do it.

I definitely think it gives him an unfair recruiting advantage to have spring practice on a HS campus where recruits are. If this was done at a community college or something...fine, but doing it on a HS campus should not be allowed by NCAA.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So, let me ask, is it an extra benefit to give football players a "free Spring Break" that other kids don't get? I'm surprised no one has brought this up. Harbaugh specifically called it a Spring Break and said some of his kids wouldn't otherwise be able to afford the trip.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, let me ask, is it an extra benefit to give football players a "free Spring Break" that other kids don't get? I'm surprised no one has brought this up. Harbaugh specifically called it a Spring Break and said some of his kids wouldn't otherwise be able to afford the trip.
Post #15

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.