Michigan's trip to Italy cost $800K

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
How is this not an NCAA violation? How is this not a recruiting advantage? This cost one "anonymous" donor $800,000 (or $6,000/person). The kid at UCF can't make YouTube video's but Michigan can take their entire football team to Italy? WTF?

Wolverines' Italy trip will cost anonymous donor up to $800K

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...higan-football-team-trip-italy-costs-750-800k

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh got to meet the Pope and played gladiator when he took the Wolverines to Italy in April. He called it the experience of a lifetime.

And the price tag?

Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel said Tuesday the trip will end up costing between $750,000 and $800,000 when all the numbers are in.

"Waiting on a few numbers, so we don't have it final," Manuel told the Detroit News. "It will be about $5,000 to $6,000 a person, so it was a great investment. It was just terrific. We pay them through an educational experience, like Michigan does all the time. I don't think about it in terms of paying our athletes, but if people want to say we should give something to our students of value, I can't think of a better way to invest in them for their lifetime and their experience."

The trip was paid for by a private, anonymous donor who put no restrictions on the cost, Michigan previously said.

Harbaugh said recently that the trip still had "a glow" about it.

"It was an incredible trip. The best thing I've ever been a part of on a football team," Harbaugh said Monday on "The Rich Eisen Show."

"The wonderful thing was that it was really all about the players and their experience. Not all learning is done in the classroom or on a football field.

"From an educational standpoint, from a team bonding standpoint, it was an experience that had everything."

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah this is messed up. I think it's fine to allow student athletes to take a trips for an "educational experience"; however, these kids should have been required to pay their own way. Those that can't afford it could simply take out a student loan. It's not unheard of for universities to have study abroad programs specifically for student athletes, but it is unheard for those programs to be free for the students.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There's a loophole that allows it. The guy is a step ahead of everyone else. He's their Spurrier. They love him and we all hate him.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Hey Recruit, commit to MeatChicken and get a free European Vacation. See the friendly bagman for complete details.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How is this not an NCAA violation? How is this not a recruiting advantage? This cost one "anonymous" donor $800,000 (or $6,000/person). The kid at UCF can't make YouTube video's but Michigan can take their entire football team to Italy? WTF?

Wolverines' Italy trip will cost anonymous donor up to $800K

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...higan-football-team-trip-italy-costs-750-800k

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh got to meet the Pope and played gladiator when he took the Wolverines to Italy in April. He called it the experience of a lifetime.

And the price tag?

Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel said Tuesday the trip will end up costing between $750,000 and $800,000 when all the numbers are in.

"Waiting on a few numbers, so we don't have it final," Manuel told the Detroit News. "It will be about $5,000 to $6,000 a person, so it was a great investment. It was just terrific. We pay them through an educational experience, like Michigan does all the time. I don't think about it in terms of paying our athletes, but if people want to say we should give something to our students of value, I can't think of a better way to invest in them for their lifetime and their experience."

The trip was paid for by a private, anonymous donor who put no restrictions on the cost, Michigan previously said.

Harbaugh said recently that the trip still had "a glow" about it.

"It was an incredible trip. The best thing I've ever been a part of on a football team," Harbaugh said Monday on "The Rich Eisen Show."

"The wonderful thing was that it was really all about the players and their experience. Not all learning is done in the classroom or on a football field.

"From an educational standpoint, from a team bonding standpoint, it was an experience that had everything."

anonymous donor (= Harbough could spare it from his millions$)

Harbough said recently that the trip still had "a glow" about it. (the players remembering that Italian girls give great head)

"Not all learning is done on a football field." (There, I bet Saban & Fisher & Dabo have learned a lot from this.)

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Here we go.
Now Saban and Meyer will try and one up him and pretty soon we will have football teams traveling in space.

Either this should be against the rules or, although I hate the concept, it is time to pay the players. If Michigan has boosters that are that frivolous with their money then they have funds to share the wealth. I am adamantly opposed to paying players but this extravagance embarassing.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
There's a loophole that allows it. The guy is a step ahead of everyone else. He's their Spurrier. They love him and we all hate him.
To somehow equate the sleazeball Harbaugh with Steve Spurrier is odious to me. But that's just me, I guess. I have no idea how anyone else feels.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
To somehow equate the sleazeball Harbaugh with Steve Spurrier is odious to me. But that's just me, I guess. I have no idea how anyone else feels.

Sleazeball? How so? How much do you actually know about the Harbaugh family? Not much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.