Mick Hubert reveals spat with Butters

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Butters lost me after we beat some half ass team at home and he was tearing up in his post game interview , gee do something first.

You’d have to be more specific. He did that after virtually every game. The voice crack, the pauses, the eye watering, followed by, “I tell you what…”

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
Fall backwards into a completely undeserved win against Uk, where they manage to not cover one of our WRs not once but twice and get a 10 yard holding penalty that’s the difference on the final FG to beat us, and the guy acts like we win the NC and is above being questioned. His postgame Lsu 2016 presser is a must see.

SECund2nun

Oct 13, 2018
Shark lover is the perfect representation of the Jeremy Foley error. What an unlikeable jerk sharkie was and to think that Foley slept over at his house to lock up him up as HC. What did they do during the sleep over? Did it involve sharks??

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

He should’ve been pummeled by that entire room the moment cameras turned off. My goodness, that’s tough to listen to.

And that’s not even the one I was thinking of. There’s some other one that’s even worse.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Just when I thought we heard the last of Butters when he got canned, my kids and I walked out of the stadium after the FSU game in 2017. As I heard part of Mick's postgame comments, he was obviously irritated by the fact Butters led the way of handing FSU a first ever 5 game win streak over UF.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
View attachment 49842
Who hired this buffoon? Thanks Fooley.

I’m always optimistic on new coaches, and got fully on board after the ut and OM wins, but that pic from media days in that first summer worried me and stayed with me in the back of my head. It just screams complete moron. I still have no idea what type of glasses he was wearing or why he applied zinc to just his eyes and left the rest to chance. None of it made sense.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Considering all the stories that surfaced as mac’s time began unraveling here, this story from Mick isn’t surprising at all.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I miss Mac
Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
The sharkhumper was all up in his feelings.

Former Florida coach Jim McElwain spent two and a half years in Gainesville, far less time than Hubert. McElwain’s teams found success immediately, going to back-to-back SEC Championship games in his first two seasons. McElwain took advantage of a weak SEC East, and his teams weren’t particularly elite themselves.

In 2015, McElwain’s first season, the Gators had a thrilling 28-27 win over Tennessee, a game that was made closer due to the fact that Florida missed 26 tackles. You couldn’t hide it. McElwain bemoaned the missed tackles in his post-game press conference and again during his Monday media availability.

The topic was brought up again that Thursday during Gator Hotline, which was live from Piesanos Stone Fired Pizza at the time. Early on in the show, Hubert said a fan made a comment about Florida’s missed tackles that didn’t sit well with McElwain.

“He gets mad about it. Now I gotta deal with him. He’s upset for the next 45 minutes,” Hubert recalled. “We would tape the radio pregame show right after that (for Saturday). So, we finish and now I’m getting ready to do the pregame interview for the Ole Miss game.”

McElwain’s attitude didn’t change from the live radio show to the taping for the pregame show.

“I’m throwing softball questions,” Hubert said. “I’m not going in there like Mike Wallace was on 60 Minutes. But I said, ‘Hey, there’s a great matchup on the outside tonight. So, you got Laquon Treadwell against Vernon Hargreaves. That should be a good matchup.’

“He looked at me and he goes, ‘We don’t care anything about that. We don’t care about that. Whoever is over on that side, we’ll guard him.’ So, I’m thinking, ‘You could have given me a little better answer than that.’ These are two guys that are probably going to play at the NFL.”

Hubert was right. Both Hargreaves and Treadwell went on to play in the league and their 2015 matchup was talked and written about all week. Hubert carried on with the interview, moving to a topic that was on the minds of Gator Nation and something McElwain himself had already addressed.

It didn’t go well.

Hubert brought up Florida’s missed tackles, an area of concern that McElwain previously acknowledged and vowed to clean up.

“I said, ‘Coach, you mentioned last week we had a number of missed tackles. I’m sure you’re working diligently this week in practice about shoring up the tackling,” Hubert said. “And he looked at me and he gives one of these (a tongue-in-cheek gesture) and he goes, ‘Yeah, you’re just like the rest of ’em.’ Now that set me off.”

Hubert brought up Florida’s missed tackles, an area of concern that McElwain previously acknowledged and vowed to clean up.

“I said, ‘Coach, you mentioned last week we had a number of missed tackles. I’m sure you’re working diligently this week in practice about shoring up the tackling,” Hubert said. “And he looked at me and he gives one of these (a tongue-in-cheek gesture) and he goes, ‘Yeah, you’re just like the rest of ’em.’ Now that set me off.”

Nonetheless, Hubert remained calm and professional on air. He waited until the recording was over before responding to McElwain.

“I finish the interview and it’s like steam coming out of my ears. ‘You’re just like the rest of them’, meaning all the media,” Hubert recalled. “And so, we got done and I hit the stop button on the recorder. I stood up and he stood up. It was like, Earl Weaver with an umpire. We were this close. And I said, ‘What are you talking about? My job is to make you look good.’

“That’s all I’ve ever done. That’s all I’ve ever done for 25-plus years as the voice of the Gators. I said, ‘You treat me like I’m a 19-year-old intern.’ And then we got into it. One of his assistants, I saw the door open and she snuck out. She got out of there. So, me and him were going at it. But that led to me no longer doing that show.”

After that exchange, Hubert went to former UF executive associate AD for external affairs Mike Hill (now the AD at Charlotte) and told him they had to find someone else to do the radio show with McElwain. Florida baseball broadcaster and former pitcher Jeff Cardozo took over as the host until this year, with the new Voice of the Gators Sean Kelly interviewing first-year coach Billy Napier every Monday.

“That’s the only time I ever got into it with any of the coaches,” Hubert said of the McElwain incident. “I had a great relationship with all of them, including the basketball coaches, the baseball coaches. That’s the thing, if you ask me what I miss the most, is just being around those kinds of people.”
I'll never forget clowns on ESPN swooning over this hire. Cowturd needed a cigarette and a good toweling off.
Thank goodness for Will Grier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator