Mike Leach

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How many times does it need to be said? It's all about what have you done for me lately? In the case of Washington State, lots. 6-0, first in the Pac 10 North, 40 points a game, 17th in the nation in third-down conversions and 11th -- that's right -- in total defense.

Stanford is coming, but you have to be impressed with what Leach has done so far this season.
WSU's first 5 games were at home. When's the last time a team has started the season with 5 straight home games?

The true test was how would they do when they left Pullman and go to Eugene to play. Yes, Oregon lost their QB the week before and we're playing a true freshman, but it was a good road win.

Still a lot of football to be played but I like Leach a lot and would love to have him on the sideline.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
From Stuart Mandel's mailbag blog:

Mike Leach has done some incredible coaching at Texas Tech and Washington State. Where does he rank on your list of current coaches? What do you think the odds are Tennessee, Ole Miss or LSU calls him this offseason? I’d love to see him and his system in the SEC!

Robert, El Paso

So would I. At Florida.

Doug Fletcher, Orlando

Raise your hand if you’re an SEC fan who’s not pining for a more exciting coach right now.

I’d put Leach somewhere in my top 20 — likely closer to 15 than 10. His offensive track record speaks for itself, but I’ve been very impressed with the staff decisions he’s made since he’s been in Pullman. DC Alex Grinch has worked wonders developing that unit into a top 15 national defense. Grinch was an unheralded 34-year-old safeties coach at Missouri when Leach hired him in 2015 to turn around a defense that ranked 99th nationally the year before.

The 6-0 Cougars sure look to be Leach’s best team since his 2008 Texas Tech squad that finished 11-2. If they reach that territory I’d likely move him further up my list.

But does that mean an SEC school will come calling? That’s going to depend on how willing the president and AD are to take on all the unorthodox elements of Leach’s unique personality. It’s worked out nicely for Leach that he’s thus far coached in two remote places with very little media scrutiny. He’s free to go on a 10-minute rant about the need for a 64-team playoff, as he did this week, or blame a loss on players listening too much to their “fat little girlfriends,” as he once did at Texas Tech, without eliciting a week of Paul Finebaum callers.

Unorthodox has not generally played well in the SEC, save for one notable exception — Steve Spurrier. But when you win big from the minute you get there, as Spurrier did at Florida, you can relentlessly poke fun at your rivals or rip your quarterback to shreds and everyone eats it up. If you’re Lane Kiffin and you accuse a rival coach of cheating before you’ve coached your first game, or you’re Ed Orgeron and you rip your shirt off at a team meeting — or you’re Butch Jones and you break out “Champions of Life” — they never let you live it down.

I cannot see Leach at Tennessee, LSU or Florida. Those are cut-throat places where the media ask you why you called a draw on third and 7 and expect a serious answer. Ole Miss would be interesting. Expectations will be lower out of the gate due to the pending NCAA sanctions, Plus, I could see Leach saying he took the job primarily because he loves reading Faulkner and Grisham.

But this being the SEC, the much safer bet is that Ole Miss hires another conference school’s defensive coordinator.

USATSI_10334044-1024x683.jpg

(Scott Olmos / USA TODAY Sports)

I agree with what this writer says

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
WSU's first 5 games were at home. When's the last time a team has started the season with 5 straight home games?

The true test was how would they do when they left Pullman and go to Eugene to play. Yes, Oregon lost their QB the week before and we're playing a true freshman, but it was a good road win.

Still a lot of football to be played but I like Leach a lot and would love to have him on the sideline.

Sure, but I doubt UF is hiring a coach who sued TxTech when he was terminated. UF's UAA is too risk averse for that.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You guys still want mike leach?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Mike Leach's MO last night. Whether it's losing to FCS teams or getting blown the f*ck out against a crappy team like Cal, he always screws the pooch in the end.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Mike Leach's MO last night. Whether it's losing to FCS teams or getting blown the f*ck out against a crappy team like Cal, he always screws the pooch in the end.

Plus you have to assume he’s on the verge of getting cast as the Penguin in the next Batman movie, which would be hilarious but an awful distraction.

9eb25dd15065a1e4c92f27ee681396c2.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Has anyone here got stats on Cal's DC? We need a DC.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Leach is going to throw the ball 45-55 times a game on average. Because of that style, his teams tend to be soft with a poor running game. The question is, can that style work in the SEC. If you think it can, Leach is someone you want. He intrigues me. I've seen evolution in him from Texas Tech to Wash St. But big time SEC ball? I'm not so sure.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Leach is going to throw the ball 45-55 times a game on average. .... The question is, can that style work in the SEC. .
He never did in the last... of course that was with Kentucky talent.

In general, Im just tired of hiring guys who failed at Kintucky.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He never did in the last... of course that was with Kentucky talent.

In general, Im just tired of hiring guys who failed at Kintucky.
:britney:

Wasn't Kentucky's offense really good when he was there? So good that Tim Couch was drafted #1 overall?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're better than this, at least I think. Leach does 100x better with crap talent than just about anyone. I guess Davi sucks too because he lost to an even crappier team in Cuse?

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
One thing Leach has going for him is personality. We are in a rut for a decade now. It will take a big personality to turn it around.

I'd be happy with leach as long as he brought a good D.C. with him.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just finished watching a few minutes of Kentucky-Bama from '98. No fewer than four of Couch's completions lasted all of six yards in the air.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You're better than this, at least I think. Leach does 100x better with crap talent than just about anyone. I guess Davi sucks too because he lost to an even crappier team in Cuse?
This will be the first season since 2014 Mike Leach hasn't lost to an FCS team.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He would be down my list of hopefuls but I'd take him over butters any day

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads