Mike Leach

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Because he's taken over losing programs and taken a couple of years to turn it around? Yeah, he can't rebuild a program.... c'mon man. You're better than that.
:rolleyes4:

Yes we are definately better than that. A lot better.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I stood in line behind him while he was purchasing a sandwich at the Atlanta airport once, probably on his way down to Florida to steal our recruits. I was surprised at how short he is. I think it's given him a Napoleon complex. I find the guy absolutely fascinating. He never played college football, he has a law degree from Pepperdine, and he went down and partied in the Keys for a spell after he got fired at Texas Tech. The WSU president had to go down there and track him down to convince him to come back to coaching. I'd never want him as a coach, but he's certainly an interesting character.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I stood in line behind him while he was purchasing a sandwich at the Atlanta airport once, probably on his way down to Florida to steal our recruits. I was surprised at how short he is. I think it's given him a Napoleon complex. I find the guy absolutely fascinating. He never played college football, he has a law degree from Pepperdine, and he went down and partied in the Keys for a spell after he got fired at Texas Tech. The WSU president had to go down there and track him down to convince him to come back to coaching. I'd never want him as a coach, but he's certainly an interesting character.
That's my dream there...have enough money to just disappear in the keys for good long while

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not that I want him, but this is the same bullsh*t they said about Spurrier and Meyer. Leach has proven he can win at two crap programs.

I know that was definitely the case for Meyer, Other than a minority, I'm not sure it was for Spurrier.... But unlike either of those too Leach has proven he is a 4-7 loss coach.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
As long as you have a storage tool shed or fat little girlfriends, Mike Leach may be interested in the job.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Oh and

giphy.gif

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

He's a master at blaming the players. Maybe the players need to take some blame sometimes but I know blaming the players doesn't sit well around here.

I'm not worried because Mike Leach will never be coach here.

The Shady Grove Gator

Relapsed Wise-Ass
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
I think :law: would say we have had enough "leaches" the last few years...............but hey, wtf is just one more?
There is ONLY one guarantee in life.............death.
I congratulate Fooley for being so inept in the last 6 years that a coach that has so many dings is considered legitimate for our program. :couch::gah:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know that was definitely the case for Meyer.
Thats because CUM's offense didnt work in 2005, 2006*, 2009**, or 2010.

*except vs OSU when we allowed Leak to pass downfield
**except during the UC game when we allowed Tevow to pass downfield

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Whatever but you cannot dismiss two national titles.........ever. How many years was CUM here? His years to sec and natties is pretty good. Actually amazing.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I like this guy. He's like bat**** crazy and doesn't GAF about what anybody thinks about any of the drivel that spouts out his mouth. But he can't win enough games to be a real player for MacYet's seat.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever but you cannot dismiss two national titles.........ever. How many years was CUM here? His years to sec and natties is pretty good. Actually amazing.
Lol I've never seen you use a dirty nick name.
:ohboy:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From Stuart Mandel's mailbag blog:

Mike Leach has done some incredible coaching at Texas Tech and Washington State. Where does he rank on your list of current coaches? What do you think the odds are Tennessee, Ole Miss or LSU calls him this offseason? I’d love to see him and his system in the SEC!

Robert, El Paso

So would I. At Florida.

Doug Fletcher, Orlando

Raise your hand if you’re an SEC fan who’s not pining for a more exciting coach right now.

I’d put Leach somewhere in my top 20 — likely closer to 15 than 10. His offensive track record speaks for itself, but I’ve been very impressed with the staff decisions he’s made since he’s been in Pullman. DC Alex Grinch has worked wonders developing that unit into a top 15 national defense. Grinch was an unheralded 34-year-old safeties coach at Missouri when Leach hired him in 2015 to turn around a defense that ranked 99th nationally the year before.

The 6-0 Cougars sure look to be Leach’s best team since his 2008 Texas Tech squad that finished 11-2. If they reach that territory I’d likely move him further up my list.

But does that mean an SEC school will come calling? That’s going to depend on how willing the president and AD are to take on all the unorthodox elements of Leach’s unique personality. It’s worked out nicely for Leach that he’s thus far coached in two remote places with very little media scrutiny. He’s free to go on a 10-minute rant about the need for a 64-team playoff, as he did this week, or blame a loss on players listening too much to their “fat little girlfriends,” as he once did at Texas Tech, without eliciting a week of Paul Finebaum callers.

Unorthodox has not generally played well in the SEC, save for one notable exception — Steve Spurrier. But when you win big from the minute you get there, as Spurrier did at Florida, you can relentlessly poke fun at your rivals or rip your quarterback to shreds and everyone eats it up. If you’re Lane Kiffin and you accuse a rival coach of cheating before you’ve coached your first game, or you’re Ed Orgeron and you rip your shirt off at a team meeting — or you’re Butch Jones and you break out “Champions of Life” — they never let you live it down.

I cannot see Leach at Tennessee, LSU or Florida. Those are cut-throat places where the media ask you why you called a draw on third and 7 and expect a serious answer. Ole Miss would be interesting. Expectations will be lower out of the gate due to the pending NCAA sanctions, Plus, I could see Leach saying he took the job primarily because he loves reading Faulkner and Grisham.

But this being the SEC, the much safer bet is that Ole Miss hires another conference school’s defensive coordinator.

USATSI_10334044-1024x683.jpg

(Scott Olmos / USA TODAY Sports)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator