Military Traits

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Every button, buttoned. Every zipper at least zip half way. Gig line straight, yep. Uses Sir and Ma'am for everyone. On time (early). Lets the junior person at a meeting speak first. If senior, speaks last. No hands in pockets. Doesn't own an umbrella.
In fact, has no idea why pockets even exist as they are never used; for anything. Carries glasses in his (or her) sock.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
In fact, has no idea why pockets even exist as they are never used; for anything. Carries glasses in his (or her) sock.
Knew one guy that had all the pocket removed and sewn shut. Had a little inside the waist band pouch made for his ID card and some big bills.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Every button, buttoned. Every zipper at least zip half way. Gig line straight, yep. Uses Sir and Ma'am for everyone. On time (early). Lets the junior person at a meeting speak first. If senior, speaks last. No hands in pockets. Doesn't own an umbrella.
The no-hands-in-pockets becomes a life-long habit for many vets. Arms folded, definitely a subtle 'military trait'.
1715359098455.png

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
One thing I've noticed since going into the civilian world and into law/business is that military veterans in those professions have extreme attention to detail and precision in their tasks.

This is minor, but if there's a deadline for something to be completed by that for whatever reason wasn't done on-time, I never have to ask the veterans when it'll be completed--they usually volunteer *before* I have to ask and almost always without a whiny excuse. It's "sorry, don't think I'll be able to get this done by xx time...I will have it completed by yy if that's ok."

I understand life happens--but don't wait until the last minute to tell me: there are reasons for deadlines and if something's time sensitive, let me know in advance rather than waiting.

It's just a trait I've noticed in most all veterans that I rarely encounter in those who haven't served.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Had numerous ex or current military clients over the years. No one, no one, reads over a document like they do. Most distinguishable trait to me.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Had numerous ex or current military clients over the years. No one, no one, reads over a document like they do. Most distinguishable trait to me.
Today, I went line by line through 43 pages of Northrop Grumman’s standard terms and conditions lining out or changing unfavorable language. Tomorrow morning, I’ll take a second pass through… their response will be “you’re supposed to just accept everything as is, like everyone else does”… nope, you either want what I have, or you don’t

bradgator2

Rioting
Lifetime Member
Never served. But your comments are hilarious when thinking about my dad. And even how some of them got passed along to me.

If he wasnt on pace to be 15 minutes early, borderline nervous breakdown. I am like that.
Reading every line of a document, yup. I wont sign until I read through it all. Drives some people in some situations nuts.
Yes sir/Yes maam. Yup and yup. Added benefit of getting hit in the back of the head by mom's purse if I didnt say it.
The ironing thing... he had everything dry cleaned/pressed.
Shined his shoes at least once a week.
Shhiiity black instant coffee, 24 hours a day.
Navy guy... so still did the Navy shower until his last breath.
Could sleep anywhere, on anything.
The no pockets thing... never noticed that one. Definitely not me.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Never served. But your comments are hilarious when thinking about my dad. And even how some of them got passed along to me.

If he wasnt on pace to be 15 minutes early, borderline nervous breakdown. I am like that.
Reading every line of a document, yup. I wont sign until I read through it all. Drives some people in some situations nuts.
Yes sir/Yes maam. Yup and yup. Added benefit of getting hit in the back of the head by mom's purse if I didnt say it.
The ironing thing... he had everything dry cleaned/pressed.
Shined his shoes at least once a week.
Shhiiity black instant coffee, 24 hours a day.
Navy guy... so still did the Navy shower until his last breath.
Could sleep anywhere, on anything.
The no pockets thing... never noticed that one. Definitely not me.
It’s taken me 25 years to allow myself to hook my thumbs on my pockets :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Today, I went line by line through 43 pages of Northrop Grumman’s standard terms and conditions lining out or changing unfavorable language. Tomorrow morning, I’ll take a second pass through… their response will be “you’re supposed to just accept everything as is, like everyone else does”… nope, you either want what I have, or you don’t

I was actually surprised you responded to my post as quickly as you did.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
I was never a no hands in pockets thing DEPENDING on the situation. If we are on detail and there is work going on, definitely a no no.

But if its cold as hell outside, I will put my hands in my jacket pocket if I need to warm up. There is a difference between being hard and being stupid.

Having said that, I had more than one set of BDUs with all the pockets sewn shut and buttons removed except the right rear pocket where my wallet went.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
I was never a no hands in pockets thing DEPENDING on the situation. If we are on detail and there is work going on, definitely a no no.

But if its cold as hell outside, I will put my hands in my jacket pocket if I need to warm up. There is a difference between being hard and being stupid.

Having said that, I had more than one set of BDUs with all the pockets sewn shut and buttons removed except the right rear pocket where my wallet went.
I have always said, “There is a fine line between hardcore and stupid”

deuce

"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Several years ago we were invited to a distant friends wedding. As we were moving down the reception line, the Father of the Bride said "Semper Fi" to me. I immediately went into investigative mode trying to figure how this stranger knew that 40 years earlier I had done a Hitch in the Corps. Pressed for time, I asked "how do you know I am a Marine?" He said, "I can always tell a Vet by the way he carries himself, I can even tell the Branch." I was impressed and more that a little in awe by this revelation. As I continued to move by, he said "and, I noticed your tie tac is the Marine Corps Ball and Anchor." I had to laugh but I was still impressed by his alertness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.