MLB Draft

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Faedo, #18 to Detroit....

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/2017-mlb-draft-selections-live-updates-results-schedule-day-2-Tuesday

2017 MLB Draft: Round 1 and 2 order, picks, selections from Monday, June 12
1. Minnesota Twins – SS/OF Royce Lewis, JSerra Catholic (CA) High School
2. Cincinnati Reds – RHP Hunter Greene, Notre Dame (CA) High School
3. San Diego Padres – LHP MacKenzie Gore, Whiteville (NC) High School
4. Tampa Bay Rays – 1B Brendan McKay, University of Louisville
5. Atlanta Braves – RHP Kyle Wright, Vanderbilt University
6. Oakland Athletics – OF Austin Beck, North Davidson (NC) High School
7. Arizona Diamondbacks – 1B Pavin Smith, University of Virginia
8. Philadelphia Phillies – OF Adam Haseley, University of Virginia
9. Milwaukee Brewers – 2B Keston Hiura, University of California-Irvine
10. Los Angeles Angels – OF Joe Adell, Ballard (KY) High School
11. Chicago White Sox – 3B Jake Burger, Missouri State University
12. Pittsburgh Pirates – RHP Shane Baz, Concordia Lutheran (TX) High School
13. Miami Marlins – LHP Trevor Rogers, Carlsbad (NM) High School
14. Kansas City Royals – 1B Nick Pratto, Huntington Beach (CA) High School
15. Houston Astros – RHP J.B. Bukauskas, University of North Carolina
16. New York Yankees – RHP Clarke Schmidt, University of South Carolina
17. Seattle Mariners – 1B Evan White, University of Kentucky
18. Detroit Tigers – RHP Alex Faedo, University of Florida
19. San Francisco Giants – OF Heliot Ramos, Puerto Rico
20. New York Mets – LHP David Peterson, University of Oregon
21. Baltimore Orioles – LHP D.L. Hall, Valdosta (GA) High School
22. Toronto Blue Jays – SS Logan Warmoth, University of North Carolina
23. Los Angeles Dodgers – OF Jeren Kendall, Vanderbilt University
24. Boston Red Sox – RHP Tanner Houck, University of Missouri
25. Washington Nationals – LHP Seth Romero, University of Houston
26. Texas Rangers – OF Bubba Thompson, McGill-Toolen (AL) High School
27. Chicago Cubs – LHP Brendon Little, State College of Florida
28. Toronto Blue Jays – RHP Nate Pearson, College of Central Florida
29. Texas Rangers – SS Christopher Seise, West Orange (FL) High School
30. Chicago Cubs – RHP Alex Lange, LSU
Competitive Balance Round A
All teams that have either one of the 10 smallest markets or 10 smallest revenue pools receive an additional pick at the end of the first or second round. Six picks were assigned between the first and second rounds based on a formula that considers winning percentage and revenue. The remaining eligible teams receive a supplemental selection between the second and third rounds. Lottery picks may be traded.

31. Tampa Bay Rays – RHP Drew Rasmussen, Oregon State University
32. Cincinnati Reds – SS Jeter Downs, Monsignor Edward Pace (FL) High School
33. Oakland Athletics – SS Kevin Merrell, University of South Florida
34. Milwaukee Brewers – OF Tristan Lutz, Martin (TX) High School
35. Minnesota Twins – OF Brent Rooker, Mississippi State University
36. Miami Marlins – OF Brian Miller, University of North Carolina
Round 2
37. Minnesota Twins – RHP Landon Leach, Pickering (Ontario) High School
38. Cincinnati Reds – OF Stuart Fairchild, Wake Forest University
39. San Diego Padres – C Luis Campusano, Cross Creek (GA) High School
40. Tampa Bay Rays – RHP Michael Mercado, Westview (CA) High School
41. Atlanta Braves – OF Drew Waters, Etowah (GA) High School
42. Pittsburgh Pirates – RHP Steven Jennings, Dekalb County (TN) High School
43. Oakland Athletics – OF Greg Deichmann, LSU
44. Arizona Diamondbacks – 3B Drew Ellis, University of Louisville
45. Philadelphia Phillies – RHP Spencer Howard, Cal Poly
46. Milwaukee Brewers – RHP Caden Lemons, Vestavia Hills (AL) High School
47. Los Angeles Angels – RHP Griffin Canning, UCLA
48. Colorado Rockies – 3B Ryan Vilade, Stillwater (OK) High School
49. Chicago White Sox – 1B Gavin Sheets, Wake Forest University
50. Pittsburgh Pirates – OF Calvin Mitchell, Rancho Bernardo (CA) High School
51. Miami Marlins – 3B Joseph Dunand, North Carolina State University
52. Kansas City Royals – C MJ Melendez, Westminster Christian (FL) High School
53. Houston Astros – 3B Joe Perez, Archbishop McCarthy HS
54. New York Yankees – RHP Matt Sauer, Ernest Righetti HS
55. Seattle Mariners – RHP Sam Carlson, Burnsville HS
56. Houston Astros – RHP Corbin Martin, Texas A&M
57. Detroit Tigers – OF Reynaldo Rivera, Chipola College
58. San Francisco Giants – 3B Jacob Gonzalez, Chaparral HS
59. New York Mets – 3B Mark Vientos, American Heritage School
60. Baltimore Orioles – SS Adam Hall, A.B. Lucas SS
61. Toronto Blue Jays – C Hagen Danner, Huntington Beach HS
62. Los Angeles Dodgers – RHP Morgan Cooper, University of Texas
63. Boston Red Sox – OF Coleman Brannan, Westfield School
64. Cleveland Indians – OF Quentin Holmes, Monsignor McClancy Memorial HS
65. Washington Nationals – RHP Wil Crowe, South Carolina
66. Texas Rangers – RHP Hans Crouse, Dana Hills HS
67. Chicago Cubs – RHP Cory Abbott, Loyola Marymount University
Competitive Balance Round B
68. Arizona Diamondbacks – C Dalton Varsho, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
69. San Diego Padres – C Blake Hunt, Mater Dei HS
70. Colorado Rockies – RHP Tommy Doyle, University of Virginia
71. Cleveland Indians – SS Tyler Freeman, Etiwanda HS
72. Pittsburgh Pirates – OF Conner Uselton, Southmoore HS
73. Kansas City Royals – LHP Evan Steele, Chipola College
74. Baltimore Orioles – LHP Zac Lowther, Xavier
75. Houston Astros – 2B J.J. Matijevic, University of Arizona

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really wish they'd wait to do this kind of stuff until after the NCAA Baseball tournament, or whatever it's called for baseball. Seems we always play like crap after the boys find out where they're projected...

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is Faedo the only player taken so far?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They are in Round 6 right now and no other current players have been taken.
That's interesting, but there's like 20 something rounds right? (Edit: it's 40 rounds).
I would expect JRs Rivera, Guthrie and Schwarz to get drafted at some point.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What about recruits that are committed to Florida?
Sam Carlson is considered the 'steal of the draft' so far.

Pick: No. 55

Clearly, Day 1 of the 2017 draft was a good day for value buys on pitchers. But nobody got quite as much value as the Seattle Mariners did when they nabbed Sam Carlson at No. 55.

That was in the middle of the second round. The right-hander had enough talent to go in the middle of the first round, if not even higher. He was a top-20 talent for MLB.com, ESPN.com and FanGraphs, and he checked in at No. 21 for us here at B/R and at Baseball America.

The knock on Carlson, 18, is that he's no less projectable than your standard high school hurler. But he can already work into the 90s with his fastball and should continue to grow into a sturdy 6'4" frame. And where most high schoolers are quick to rely on breaking balls, he already has a changeup that he likes.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Wow. KoLo in the 7th round. good for him. He clearly has the best arm of any of the catchers on the team, but is not the entire defensive catcher that Rivera is. Rivera is an excellent catcher and could get to the bigs quickly just on his defense. The makes the JJ discussion interesting b/c clearly JJ is a one league player only as a DH right now. Perhaps all MLB will have a DH soon, but as of now he is American League only. And if JJ does not develop as a hitter, it is problematic b/c he is certainly not a catcher, tho he can put on the equipment in emergency situations. But can JJ play good enough D to be a full time corner infielder? It does not appear so and the fact that he has shown slippage in his offense is probably been why he has not been drafted. But here is hoping he makes it b/c when he is right he can surely hit.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Is JJ Schwarz planning on coming back? He went in the 38th round in the draft. Can't imagine he would like that or the money. He could be a top 3 round pick next year if he improves on the last 2 years and gets back to his freshman year form

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Is JJ Schwarz planning on coming back? He went in the 38th round in the draft. Can't imagine he would like that or the money. He could be a top 3 round pick next year if he improves on the last 2 years and gets back to his freshman year form

Wow. His stock took a hell of a tumble. I'd assume he'd come back after this, but who knows?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Wow. His stock took a hell of a tumble. I'd assume he'd come back after this, but who knows?
I hope so, he was ranked 171 going into the draft. No idea why he fell unless teams had an idea he wanted to come back and improve his stock

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
4 more players drafted:

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/...7?Title=Four-more-UF-baseball-players-drafted

A pair of pitchers, Frank Rubio and David Lee, and second baseman Deacon Liput were each chosen Wednesday, the last day of the MLB draft. Lee was taken by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 27th round while Rubio (San Francisco Giants) and Liput (Los Angeles Dodgers) both went in the 29th round. Catcher/first baseman JJ Schwarz was selected in the 38th round by the Tampa Bay Rays.

Eight Gators were drafted this year. Under coach Kevin O’Sullivan, 81 players have been drafted out of Florida, including seven in the first round.

Lee, a junior college transfer from nearby Sante Fe, played sparingly this season. He did not allow a run in 2.0 innings pitched with three strikeouts.

Rubio, who graduated last month with a degree in Criminology, has a 3.86 earned run average over 88.2 career innings. In 2017, he has tied his career high with 23 appearances and had a 4.05 ERA in 26.2 innings.

Liput, a sophomore-eligible draftee, is a .248 career hitter with five home runs and 66 RBIs. He leads the team with 12 stolen bases on the season and had a team-best .417 average in last weekend’s Super Regional win over Wake Forest.

Schwarz leads the Gators this season with 12 home runs and 53 RBIs. In his career, Schwarz has a .298 batting average with 37 home runs and 186 RBIs. He has led Florida in RBIs in each of his three seasons on campus (73 in 2015, 60 in 2016).

Pitcher Alex Faedo was picked in the first round Monday by Detroit. On Tuesday, shortstop Dalton Guthrie (Phillies) and catcher Mike Rivera (Indians) were picked in the sixth round, while catcher Mark Kolozsvary (Reds) was picked in the seventh round.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Another WoW, from me, this time in a bad surprised way. I get that JJ's stock has sunk, but the 38th round? That tells me that the MLB scouts think he has peaked and has ZERO defensive capabilities at any position. Couple that with Lee being drafted in the 27th round, a guy who pitched TWO yes 2 innings all season on a team with an awful bullpen, and I am almost in total shock. I am not sure what JJ should do b/c how much can a guy like that truly improve his stock unless he hits like 25HR, drives in 80+ and bats like.350? Or maybe he can be a full time 1st baseman and become a defensive whiz? I know he has limitations, but geez someone could have taken a flyer on him in the 20's?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Another WoW, from me, this time in a bad surprised way. I get that JJ's stock has sunk, but the 38th round? That tells me that the MLB scouts think he has peaked and has ZERO defensive capabilities at any position. Couple that with Lee being drafted in the 27th round, a guy who pitched TWO yes 2 innings all season on a team with an awful bullpen, and I am almost in total shock. I am not sure what JJ should do b/c how much can a guy like that truly improve his stock unless he hits like 25HR, drives in 80+ and bats like.350? Or maybe he can be a full time 1st baseman and become a defensive whiz? I know he has limitations, but geez someone could have taken a flyer on him in the 20's?

His best bet is to come back, get his degree....get drafted next year (wherever that may be)...go play minor league ball until he washes out, then become a coach....or a medical sales rep. But in all of that, coming back next year, is his best Course of Action.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Tigers sign 2017 first-round draft pick, Florida pitcher Alex Faedo

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...t-tigers-sign-alex-faedo-mlb-draft/450251001/

The Detroit Tigers signed their first-round draft pick, Florida right-handed pitcher Alex Faedo, on Sunday.

Faedo’s signing was first reported by Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com. The Free Press confirmed the signing with the Tigers and also that Faedo will not begin his professional career this season.

It's unclear what dollar amount the sides agreed to, but the slotted bonus money for the No.18 overall pick, when Faedo was taken, was $3.2 million.

Faedo (6-foot-5, 220 pounds) recently helped the Gators win the College World Series. He is expected to be at Comerica Park on Wednesday afternoon.

The right-handed pitcher was named the Most Outstanding Player of the College World Series. He allowed five hits and no runs in two strong starts against Texas Christian. He struck out 22 over 14 1/3 innings in those games.

The Gators went on to beat LSU, 6-1, to complete a two-game sweep in the CWS finals for the first national title in the 103-year history of the program.

Faedo was 9-2 with a 2.26 EA this season for the Gators. He struck out 157 batters in 123 2/3 innings. He was ranked the No.14 overall prospect by Perfect Game and No. 10 overall by Baseball America.

Faedo’s fastball sits 92-95 m.p.h. and also throws a slider and change-up.

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What exactly does the highlighted portion mean? I'm assuming since he has signed a professional contract, he can't come back to play at UF. I'm guessing that it just means he won't start playing Rookie ball to finish off this year's season (given the pro season is still ongoing), but will start with the next MLB season?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.