More Encouraging Signs: Gators Acing Team Chemistry

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Gators Acing Team Chemistry

This article really speaks to a core principal of Mullen's coaching philosophy which I believe makes him such an effective coach. This quote speaks to his understanding of how team development off the field contributes to winning practices on it:

“I like all the team stuff, team activities,” Mullen said. “While they’re here at the facility and work their tail off and do what they’re supposed to do, we’re going to improve, we’re going to be solid.

“The positive stuff is when they leave the facility and they go and hang out and have a team cookout or guys’ll be like, ‘Hey, we’re having all the guys over for a team cookout, pool party today.’ Those are the things to me that show they enjoy being around each other on the field and off the field, just shows the closeness of the team and that’s what I like to hear.”
[...]
“You see successful teams. When the team’s together, they do group activities,” Mullen said. “Team bonding and how they get along together and their desire to want to hang out with each other is huge.”

Apparently it's working too:
It’s been pretty much been the same summer scenario for the running backs, the offensive linemen and every other position group. The players have been doing stuff together off the field, having fun and strengthening bonds and growing team chemistry.
I think this bodes very well for the coming season because this level of team bonding can make the sum of the parts truly greater than the whole when the chips are down. Therefore, if we can stay healthy (which, thankfully, has been trending in an improved direction due to the Savage Treatment), this united front mentality may give our team a more singularly focused approach to their play. When that happens the focused team can overcome the team loaded with talented individuals simply due to their commitment to each other and their shared commitment to winning. (It's the same principal that led a Detroit Pistons team with largely journeymen players to beat the mighty Lakers with Shaq and Kobe along with Gary Payton and Karl Malone for the NBA Championship.)

Ultimately, I think this is the essence of Mullen's secret sauce of coaching. He had to develop this mentality at MSU because there he was guaranteed to be saddled with lesser talent than a lot of the teams he knew he'd have to play annually. What excites me about having him now at UF, however, is that these principals also work with highly talented players. I admittedly underestimated the intangibles he brings when he was originally hired, but I may now be the most impressed by his team building skills more than anything else. The reason for this is I now realize what a huge difference team chemistry can make to both game execution and recruiting because all humans respond positively to being part of a true team environment. I think that is especially true for kids that age and even more so with millennials and generation z kids.

So, for the true "1% of the 1%" recruits who can go anywhere but actually are committed to working to achieve their goals, an environment like what Mullen is building will be more appealing than other options simply because it is so rare to find a place that legitimately pursues these types of goals. Honestly, I think Mullen is actually just applying the ideals he learned from back when he was with Meyer. The difference is that Mullen is actually committed to those ideals where Meyer had a tendency to apply old school situational ethics to his professed ideals when the caliber of player involved was high enough to warrant exceptions. When Mullen talks about "team accountability" and pursuing the "1% of the 1%" he actually means it without the caveats that allow for special treatment (ex.Percy Harvin and Aaron Hernandez). I believe that is what ultimately sets him apart as a coach and why he has the potential to ultimately match Meyer's accomplishments (without the inevitable baggage that always followed).

If this makes me a pumper, I am fine with that and for anyone who doesn't like it... :bart:

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the 04's are the greatest example of guys bonding and supporting each other outside of team activities.

This schit leads to championships, you don't have that entitled attitude , the "there is no 'I' in t-e-a-m" creates an, 'what is my role to make this team be successful. They'll have each others back, be there to encourage if a mistake happens, and not quit on each other like we saw near rhe end of each the sesson with chump and to a slight degree butters.

Atlanta here we come, Go Gators

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Liking what I am seeing. Seems like a lot more chemistry. Now lets see if the that will translate over on Aug. 24. I think we're in for a special season.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I will be happy if we just manage to slip by Kintucky.

Kentucky's roster has 20 players from the state of Florida. So are those ones they beat FIU out for?
Great RB Snell is gone - he was most of their running yards against us, heck, against everybody.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Gators Acing Team Chemistry

This article really speaks to a core principal of Mullen's coaching philosophy which I believe makes him such an effective coach. This quote speaks to his understanding of how team development off the field contributes to winning practices on it:

“I like all the team stuff, team activities,” Mullen said. “While they’re here at the facility and work their tail off and do what they’re supposed to do, we’re going to improve, we’re going to be solid.

I believe that is what ultimately sets him apart as a coach and why he has the​
If this makes me a pumper, I am fine with that and for anyone who doesn't like it... :bart:

I don’t disagree, but also recognize this is Robbie’s annual “Best offseason EVER!” article. Hope it’s fully true, but all looks bright and beautiful in preseason camp.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t disagree, but also recognize this is Robbie’s annual “Best offseason EVER!” article. Hope it’s fully true, but all looks bright and beautiful in preseason camp.
Driskel winning the Heisman?

Butters poised for an offensive EXPLOSION?

Yeah, wash rinse repeat on the Drunk Robbie articles.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll remain hopeful. Football is the ultimate team sport. The Pats prove it damn near every year. Having a bunch of guys who hang out together even when they don't have to sounds a lot better than a bunch of individuals or cliques of players with their own agendas.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I'll remain hopeful. Football is the ultimate team sport. The Pats prove it damn near every year. Having a bunch of guys who hang out together even when they don't have to sounds a lot better than a bunch of individuals or cliques of players with their own agendas.

The best performing teams I've been a part of are always tight socially. Sports or business. You need a clear leader and people that rally to that leadership when a call to action is made. Can Franks be that guy? Dunno.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I am much more positive lately but I know I'm a Pumper and wear O&B Glasses.

What has given me even more encouragement is how the media has commented on the physical development of players after a Season with Savage.

AND

Mullen’s assessment of the starting OL combined with the Improvement I saw in Franks after the 2019 O&B

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
The best performing teams I've been a part of are always tight socially. Sports or business. You need a clear leader and people that rally to that leadership when a call to action is made. Can Franks be that guy? Dunno.

I think Mullen not only realizes those but is intentionally trying to cultivate that on his team every single year. The quote below regarding the Leadership Council is particularly enlightening on that front because it shows how he is using this group of team leaders as a means of measuring the pulse of his team as the season progresses.

Leading the way

For the second year in a row, the UF players have voted on their teammates to serve on the leadership counsel.

Quarterback Felipe Franks was on last year’s counsel, but Mullen isn’t naming names for this one, only to mention that sophomore Randy Russell is serving on it and he is the youngest. Russell, a member of last year’s recruiting class, has had to give up football due to a heart condition, but obviously has stayed connected to the team.

“I think it’s 11 right now (on the counsel),” Mullen said. “Sometimes it tweaks, anywhere from eight to 12 depending on the time of year and the guys we feel good about it and how it breaks down by class and who needs to be on there.”

The counsel is a conduit between the team and the coaching staff.

“You always want to know what’s going on with the team,” Mullen said. “But there’s a lot people I check with on all that stuff because I want to find out all different angles of what’s going on with the team.

“You’ve got to know because I’m going to base our schedule off a lot of that stuff, where’s the attitude of the team at, where’s the feeling of the team at, where’s everybody at. Because ultimately their job is to maximize everybody’s performance. To do that you’ve got to know where their mindset is, as well as where they are physically and with their attitude.”
(source: UF notebook: Perine a result of Mullen's player development - GatorSports.com)
Again, this is actually all just part of standard Meyer stated principals and processes that were carried out with each of his teams. The problem in Meyer's case, however, is that he would maintain veto power over the team leadership regarding certain superstar players which was part of his overall inconsistent accountability enforcement problem. That's what lead to the entitled culture that emerged between 2008 and 2010 that ultimately created the train wreck he left behind when he "retired" the first time.

From what I've read about and observed with Mullen, however, I think he has taken a more consistent and refined approach to those principals he learned as part of Meyer's staff. As such he is applying these principals with much more consistency because I think he has a deeper understanding of both how high performing teams function and how college age millennial and gen z kids respond to being incorporated into an highly competitive environment with a team first mind set expectation. That's what I think really sets Mullen apart from most Div 1 college coaches and why I think UF is coming up so frequently on so many high caliber player's watch lists. The appeal of being part of a team brotherhood culture is appealing for recruits and their families of any skill level. If we can be as successful this year as last (and hopefully even more!) I think we'll see some great results in recruiting. This is because Mullen's model is founded on building relationships based on honesty and integrity so they take time. But if we are successful and the culture we've been building is seen as part of the reason for that outcome I think UF will start to become a highly desirable option for the highly skilled players who also have the kind of character that makes them really want to be a part of this type of culture (which is really what Meyer's "1% of the 1%" tagline was supposed to imply). In all honesty, that's what I think is ultimately behind all the recent transfer portal activity relative to UF. The ones leaving are not willing to do the level of work involved with the Savage Treatments without some sort of guarantee that they will be rewarded before actually earning it. That type of entitlement is clearly not rewarded with Mullen like it was with Meyer and it is also pretty clear from the feedback of those who've been recruited by Mullen that he is consistent and honest in his messaging about this expectation throughout his engagement with all his players.

I have to say that the more I learn about Mullen, the more I really respect and admire him for his approach toward defining and enforcing a truly team oriented culture. I actually felt that same way about Meyer originally until I learned that true essence of that philosophy under his regime was conditional and largely only really worked at UF because he recruited Tim Tebow whose persona naturally enforces that cultural model. It is therefore no surprise that the cultural ship ran off the cliff as soon as Tebow graduated because the source of the culture was not founded in the one leading it. That is apparently no longer the case and that makes me even more proud to be a Gator! :)

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
There's a rumor floating around that saban's scared shcitless

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I always roll my eyes when I hear players talk about how they’ve “Really come together and bonded as a team this summer” because I know that players from EVERY team in America are saying the same things all summer. I added this to the sports cliche list years ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator