Most Important Game of the Season

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
In order:

1. Michigan - Harbaugh made himself the most newsworthy coach in college football last year, and it's the season-opener played at Jerry's World. All eyes will be on us on a national stage. They will not be any weaker for the foreseeable future than they are now, due to the youth of their starters in all 3 phases of the game. They curb-stomped us last time we played; we need to return the favor. This game will set the tone for the rest of the season.

2. LSU - Our annual West opponent. We got in their heads last season. Making them our Homecoming opponent was a psychological warfare tactic. We need to deliver. They're at the Swamp next year, too. 3 W's in a row will teach them a little respect, and our guys a little swagger. We win this game, we have a real chance of going into Fla/Ga no worse than 6-1.

3. UGA - It looks like they're only going to get tougher to play the next few years under Kirby's recruiting. It's the WLOCP -on a national stage with (hopefully) 2 highly ranked teams. The winner of this game may become the favorite for a 5* qb.

4. FSU - Alex: we beat the bastards this year; Soflagator: we need to stop the bleeding; PhD: most important game for future direction of our program; Heversle: we must beat the Wolverines, Noles, & Dawgs for this to be considered a successful season; Durty: see post #5.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
What are your thoughts on the most important game of the season to win? I think it's the Michigan game simply based off what happened the last time we played them and it will be a huge indicator of how our team has progressed if we win. Georgia game will probably have the most important implications for the East race, but that first game could be a huge momentum factor for the season especially being on the national stage in Dallas.

The most important game of the season is the one after your first loss. As everyone should remember from the Spurrier days, as soon as you win a game, that game becomes not so important. As soon as you lose a game that game's importance jumps way up and the next game becomes cruicial.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'd say uga, fsu, ut, in that order.

From a recruiting and perception standpoint, the first two above are critical. We need to stop the bleeding against Fisher and the noles, and hopefully this is the year we have a chance to do that. And a loss in Jax would be damning as it would put us behind yet another huge rival, this one affecting our conference race.

I understand Michigan is big and a win would be a nice statement. But I put the vols third because I think we can lose in Dallas, and still have a somewhat successful year. Dropping the game to ut, at home, would probably start the wheels falling off for the season.
UGA is the most important because it usually decides the East. Also, Kirby is proving to be a helluva recruiter so if he can get the Dwags over the hump against us then they'll own the East moving forward. Keeping them down and having the fan base start grumbling about "he can't beat Florida" is crucial.
The Clowns are right behind them in importance.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The most important game of the season is the one after your first loss. As everyone should remember from the Spurrier days, as soon as you win a game, that game becomes not so important. As soon as you lose a game that game's importance jumps way up and the next game becomes cruicial.

I gotta compliment Insti = When he wants to post funny, he's funny. When he wants to post serious, he's precise. :thumbup:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I guess another reason i would say Michigan is our most important to win is because they lost so much and a loss to them would be pretty hard to explain no matter how you twist it considering what we return and what they lost.
It will be an easy spin if we lose. The theme will be " we weren't supposed to win anyway".

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
UGA is the most important because it usually decides the East. Also, Kirby is proving to be a helluva recruiter so if he can get the Dwags over the hump against us then they'll own the East moving forward. Keeping them down and having the fan base start grumbling about "he can't beat Florida" is crucial.
The Clowns are right behind them in importance.
I've heard countless times the East doesn't matter.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It's not a championship, but you gotta win it to be able to compete for one.
So it doesn't mean anything if we win it but we must win it.
get.gif

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dawgs, Semenholes, Inbreds, Corndogs, Booger Eater... in that order... just saying

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So it doesn't mean anything if we win it but we must win it.
get.gif
Doesn't mean much if you don't finish the deal. Means even less when you get curb-stomped and embarrassed on national TV in the championship game...IMO. But hey, wear your East Champions shirt with pride. The Vols will still be envious.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Michigan would be huge for recruiting and momentum going into the season.

The Georgia game will also have big recruiting implications not just this year but going forward. We don't win the East unless we beat Georgia.

All that said FSUcks is by far the most important game. Until we beat them or at least compete with them we can expect recruiting to stay average at best or worse.
We have to get back to owning the state if we ever want to be relevant again.

We can't expect to ever get back to greatness if we can't recruit with the top teams, we can't do that if we can't even show a pulse every time we play any of them.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Georgia game don't mean nearly as much as the fsu and Michigan. The michigan game sets the tone for the season and fsu decides the who wins the state in recruiting. We've beaten uga 3 years in a row and makimg the sec championship game is pointless when your getting curb stomped. It's all about beating fsu.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Picking one is impossible for me.

Michigan for being first, national attention, recruiting, and to beat them for our last meeting.

Every competitive / Rival SEC game, after all you don't go where you want without winning the East as SOS always said that is job one.

FSU would be nice, but I don't think we are competitive with them to win, I would be satisfied with a great performance and a tight game.

Bama, See FSU above.

Whoever we play in a bowl game, once again play well and if the matchup is right run them out of the stadium.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's going to happen. The stars will align for us. Couple of timely turnovers, maybe a TD return or 2, a blocked kick, a couple of close calls go our way, a loooooong late field goal, I'm telling you, we beat the bastards this year.

And I will celebrate like a madman.

Alex.

I noticed that you didn't put any offensive TDs in that prediction. So this probably could happen…

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I gotta compliment Insti = When he wants to post funny, he's funny. When he wants to post serious, he's precise. :thumbup:

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry over it being Northern Colorado.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
All of them.

MeatChicken is important from a national perspective. Have we righted the ship the from blowout in the bowl game Mac's first year.

If we come out struggling on offense vs the "gimme" games like last year it's going to be a long season.

Win the east, so have to beat UGA and the butt plungers. We can't let UGA get ahead of us.

Have to beat FSU. I hate losing to them on the field and off the field.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Meatchicken for confidence.
UT because we always should beat them.
LSU because I'm really starting to hate them.
F$U because we have to. Talent differential has less influence in this game.
Own The Swamp.

We don't have anywhere near the talent to compete against NC talent 'bama. If you think that would be anything but another blowout then you're being willfully ignorant. Ideally we don't win the East. And besides I've been told countless times winning the East means nothing. I'd take one loss to UGA and we finish the season 12-1. Realistically that's the best case scenario for recruiting. That and offensive production above 60th simply because it will at least look like an improvement. And then fire Nuss/Nord and gets some guys that can fcvking recruit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator