Moving to Charlotte - Thoughts?

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So I've only lurked for the past while - been a busy and stressful 2016 here. Long story short we plan to move to Charlotte in the fall - and I've only been there a couple times. Anyone have insight on the area, pros / cons etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS I already know that Charlotte has a Publix and a Sonny's so I'm all set there :-) Thanks y'all!

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, based on recent news headlines, you may wish to avoid the public restrooms. :lmao2:

Aside from that, I've only been there a handful of times for business meetings, or connecting through their very nice airport. Not much insight to share, unfortunately.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I've been trekking regularly to Charlotte for the over 30 years since my dad retired to Lake Wylie about 15 miles to the south. It's probably my favorite city. It's got a change of seasons without overly harsh winters, the people (esp the natives) are friendly and the neighborhoods range from antebellum to upscale modern. The roads are traditional English winding and confusing. The South Park, Old Providence and Myers Park areas off the downtown are personal favorites and offer a mix of majestic antebellum homes and fine shopping. Lake Norman's to the north and Asheville/Boone about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to the west and northwest. You're pretty much close to everything.

Based on the high growth rate, my guess is jobs growth is above the national average. The growth rate at the same time is a source of congestion and that can get a bit frustrating. The addition of the I-485 beltway has made getting around the city a lot easier.

North and east of the downtown are your lower socioeconomic areas. There were something like 30,000 "refugees" brought in after Katrina.

If my business didn't have me so entrenched in Clearwater, I'd probably consider moving there. I've always liked it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've only been there 4 or 5 times for work, but I found the traffic sucks pretty bad. Didn't get to tour the city, nor did I want to after sitting in traffic for 45 minutes to go 8 miles to the hotel. The shoe-shows were below average IMO.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Congestion, esp on I-77 cutting through the downtown, has made it a little less desireable, but you're gonna find that in any good size city. I remember it being fairly easy to get around in the '80s before the boom came and yet I-485 has made it so much easier to go around the city.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Publix yes. Sonny's, you will quickly find out, is bbq blasphemy in this state.

I sent you a PM, but to start, if you are going to buy a home, you would be better of commuting in from SC, as their property taxes are much much lower. Stay away from west (between airport and center city) and northwest (Freedom Drive area, etc.) areas for sure.

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't the NC bbq vinegary? I don't think I've had anything like it before...

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NC BBQ is all pork and is definitely vinegar based. If you like that sort of taste then you will like it. If you are a Kansas City of Texas BBQ fan you will likely hate it. Find a place that uses the least amount of sauce as possible and bring your own. The hush puppies are absolutely fantastic though.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
NC BBQ is all pork and is definitely vinegar based. If you like that sort of taste then you will like it. If you are a Kansas City of Texas BBQ fan you will likely hate it. Find a place that uses the least amount of sauce as possible and bring your own. The hush puppies are absolutely fantastic though.

There is room for all BBQ in my world.

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
hey boston, I reside in Raleigh about 2hrs away, the queen city is a very liberal city with a booming crime rate. the traffic can be horrific. with that been said most people commute from sc or surrounding counties. summers are brutally humid and winters are not to bad. two types of bbq eastern bbq is vinegar based. western bbq is more of a sweet saucy taste. the tailgating at Carolina Panthers games is second to none.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It never even occurred to me that the barbecue was good in Charlotte. Guess I'm not much of a fan.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
hey boston, I reside in Raleigh about 2hrs away, the queen city is a very liberal city with a booming crime rate. the traffic can be horrific. with that been said most people commute from sc or surrounding counties. summers are brutally humid and winters are not to bad. two types of bbq eastern bbq is vinegar based. western bbq is more of a sweet saucy taste. the tailgating at Carolina Panthers games is second to none.

Boston ... is it too late to change your mind?
Raleigh also has Biscuitville, a great downtown area, Poole's restaurant, Havana Deluxe Cigar Bar with scotch and martinis, and Red Hat Software headquarters (shameless plug).

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
if you think that having a sonny's nearby means you are all setup for BBQ, then I can promise you, any BBQ will work for you :facepalm:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Like dubs said, western NC is tomato based, eastern is vinegar. Eastern NC mainly uses the whole hog in pork bbq, western NC mainly uses just the pork shoulder. If the pork is done correctly, the sauce is an afterthought.

Also, like delg8 said.....hushpuppies are gospel with bbq here.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I took this pic recently on a trip to Red Bridges BBQ Lodge here in Shelby to rub it in on a friend up north.

This is what they call a 'large tray', chopped pork (you can get it sliced, but why folks do I don't grasp, you don't get the burnt end parts chopped in that way), bbq slaw (tanginess depends on what time of year cabbage is in), sweet tea that you literally could stand the straw up in it is so sweet, and the hushpuppies of course. If you get a 'plate' here, it comes with all this along with fries and bbq beans, which I never bothered with. Red's just added chicken as well a few years back.

I'm also putting a link to a good article recently in Our State magazine that gives a good background.....

https://www.ourstate.com/staying-true-at-red-bridges-barbecue-lodge/

download

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I took this pic recently on a trip to Red Bridges BBQ Lodge here in Shelby to rub it in on a friend up north.

This is what they call a 'large tray', chopped pork (you can get it sliced, but why folks do I don't grasp, you don't get the burnt end parts chopped in that way), bbq slaw (tanginess depends on what time of year cabbage is in), sweet tea that you literally could stand the straw up in it is so sweet, and the hushpuppies of course. If you get a 'plate' here, it comes with all this along with fries and bbq beans, which I never bothered with. Red's just added chicken as well a few years back.

I'm also putting a link to a good article recently in Our State magazine that gives a good background.....

https://www.ourstate.com/staying-true-at-red-bridges-barbecue-lodge/

download
Pic?

BostonGator84

Founding Member
Infrequent Frequenter
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is all great info guys! Thanks! I know there is better BBQ than Sonny's but I have a soft spot for it cause my Dad took us to the original on Waldo Road many a time growing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator