Mullen Poll

Agree or Disagree with Mullen hire?

• Total voters

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
I chose agree because I am a realist and once Kelly hesitated I figured Mullen would be a top choice.

If Mullen coached in the sec east all these years with MSU he would have averaged 2 maybe 3 more wins a year and we would all feel better about this hire.

If Kelly is so great why wouldn't USC usher Helton out for him? Instead they let him to to UCLA. Hmmm.

My first choice was Frost, second Kelly thern the drop down to Mullen and Strong and I preferred Dan because he's an sec west coach.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
After Kelly, we got cold feet on Frost with Nebraska being open. I don't think we wanted Mullen to go to Tinerc and us be without a coach with rumors swirling. Why not the Iowa St coach, who knows?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well we should hopefully be ranked by year 3!!

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
After Kelly, we got cold feet on Frost with Nebraska being open. I don't think we wanted Mullen to go to Tinerc and us be without a coach with rumors swirling. Why not the Iowa St coach, who knows?
Cold feet? Frost wouldn’t talk. Campbell? Buyout insanely expensive. Taggart? Resume doesn’t hold a candle to Mullen’s. Norvell? Still waiting to hear why Florida and Tennessee passed. Is it true that he couldn’t clear the due diligence? Then there are the unicorns- Stoops, Gundy, etc. People were running Mullen out of Gainesville when he was winning with Urban. They got Addazio. Maybe what they say about our spoiled fans is true.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
What a shocker. The poll here on Gator Hater is skewed toward “disagree”. We could have hired Saban with Belicek as the OC and 90% of members would still complain that we didn’t hire Jesus with Dwayne Johnson for strength and conditioning.
You should go to swamp gas or gator country, its a safe space where you wont feel threatened. :therethere:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
If this truly was the best we can do, I'm reminded of David's lament after Absolom's death: Oh how the mighty are fallen! Oh that I should live to see this day!.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I went back and forth on this as I am not thrilled with Mullen, but given the situation I agree with the hire...

1. Unless Stricklin could move Florida to the West Coast there was nothing he could do to get Kelly.
2. Frost wasn't interested. I told you guys a while ago that this was the case. He wouldn't even meet with us.

So here is the reason I agree or at least can see why this hire was made. Stricklin swung for the fences with his first two choices and it was known. So what is the right move after missing on those two. For some reason the didn't like Norvell (no idea why), Campbell's buyout is huge and you don't want to get rejected again. You take the sure thing. The guy you know WANTS to be at Florida! This is a big deal. I want the guy who WANTS to be here.

The positive spin... Mullen did better at Miss State than any previous coach. He has shown he can develop QBs and be competitive with less talent. I don't believe you can recruit top talent to Miss State. Mullen has shown that he can build a great offense with top talent. I look at putting Toney into a Percy type role and I think that could be a fantastic fit. Mullen will definitely get our play makers the ball which is something that has not been happening.

I've seen plenty of people say we should have gone after Taggart. I know Taggart is a great recruiter, but not sold on his ability to coach.

I'm not jumping up and down excited about this hire, but trying to look at the positives and hope for the best.

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I believe this was a panic hire as Tenn was making overtures to Mullet about a job and after allowing Kelly to humiliate him and the President of UF, he was afraid of losing Mullet as an option. Besides, he already knows Mullet and hired him as the safe play. SS will now be Mullets heat shield.

"Fun again" -indeed.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The guy you know WANTS to be at Florida! This is a big deal. I want the guy who WANTS to be here.

Previous comments by Mullen and the wife say he didn't want to be here.

He's coming for the money and nothing else. Don't kid yourself.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Previous comments by Mullen and the wife say he didn't want to be here.

He's coming for the money and nothing else. Don't kid yourself.

Maybe... I saw the wife's comments... not any from him, but until you are offered the job you don't go out and say you want it publicly. I'm trying to take a positive view. Its what I do.

Others (you and Swampy) tend to take the negative view... nothing wrong with that... there is plenty of negative here. It is just a choice.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Just my 2 cents...Mullen was not my 1st choice...or 2nd...or 3rd. But he is the choice! I would have loved Frost, but home came calling and he is going to NU. Suppose Mullen had gone to UCF instead of MSU. I suspect he may have had much different result than competing in the SEC West. My thought is at the very least...give him the privilege of an honest chance to turn things around before you form the lynch mob.
be serious John. IT is time to double down on the hate and nasty comments. It is a contest now like before. You get points for the worst comments about "cousin eddie" Join the circle yank.............They just hired the "new" worst coach in history.................

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe... I saw the wife's comments... not any from him, but until you are offered the job you don't go out and say you want it publicly. I'm trying to take a positive view. Its what I do.

Others (you and Swampy) tend to take the negative view... nothing wrong with that... there is plenty of negative here. It is just a choice.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/m...llen-calls-collins-florida-lateral-move-2014/

Gotcha. He's coming here for the money, nothing else. Add that to the list of why this is going to bomb and bomb badly.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
You should go to swamp gas or gator country, its a safe space where you wont feel threatened. :therethere:

Yeah - it’s very threatening here. I’m terririfed. There is a difference between dissenting opinion and the hate/constant negativity that goes on here. With the growing popularity of this board it would be a shame for people to believe the few obnoxious people here represent the Gator Nation.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah - it’s very threatening here. I’m terririfed. There is a difference between dissenting opinion and the hate/constant negativity that goes on here. With the growing popularity of this board it would be a shame for people to believe the few obnoxious people here represent the Gator Nation.
I agree, so maybe you should dial it back a notch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.