Mullen says he'd like to coach in the NFL

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
But he "hasn't spoken to anybody in the NFL this year". Boy, I wonder why? :lol:

Dan Mullen of Mississippi State on if he'd like to coach in the NFL: "I think I would. I don't know when a time would be." Said like players, he thinks every coach is curious if he can do it at the highest level at some point. "I have not spoken to anybody in the NFL this year." Said it seems to come up because of QB development, so he hopes it keeps coming up since he has one to develop. (On The Midday 180 in Nashville.)

Discuss.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He's probably getting too much credit for Dak's success this season w/ the Cowboys. That dumbass should have bolted that sh*t town years ago. He could have landed any number of B10 or ACC jobs over the years. As much as "some" people around here don't like him, he's actually a sought after coach and would be an upgrade at a lot of programs. Winning at Miss State is difficult and playing in the SEC West is a no-win situation for him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
As much as "some" people around here don't like him, he's actually a sought after coach and would be an upgrade at a lot of programs.
A lot? They could be counted on one hand. He's awful.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Except for 2014 I think Mullen hasn't done too much at all. That new QB looks like he could become a good one however.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A lot? They could be counted on one hand. He's awful.

Disagree, he's turned down a number of jobs over the years and has had his name in consideration. In fact, he was considered for the Oregon job this year. Like I said, "some" people don't like him.... (i.e. "some" = you).

https://www.seccountry.com/mississi...blessing-and-curse-for-mississippi-state-fans

For the past seven years, Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen has been nothing short of a miracle for the Bulldogs. But in recent years, around this part of the season, he has also been a consistent source of anxiety — the kind you hate to have to worry about, but are glad you aren’t burdened with the opposite.

Everybody seems to want him.

This year, Mullen has been at the center of seemingly countless job hunts. Reports had Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, South Carolina and Miami all interested in Mullen to fill recently-opened positions. From their side, it makes perfect sense.

In his seven years at Mississippi State, Mullen has taken a team that had one winning season in its previous eight years before his arrival and has given them six straight. He took a team that had never been ranked in the top five in the AP poll and led them to No. 1 last season. He took a team whose record for consecutive bowl game appearances was three and marched them to six in a row. He took a team that had never had a head coach be a finalist for coach of the year and won the 2014 Maxwell Football Club National Coach of the Year award to go along with his 2014 Associated Press SEC Coach of the Year trophy.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody seems to want him.
Let's just pray we are one of the teams who don't.

And he was "considered" for the Oregon job? Why didn't he get it? We always hear about him being in consideration yet no one actually offers him the job. Has he ever even been interviewed? As far as him supposedly turning down jobs, I don't believe it.

If he was 1/10th of the coach he actually thinks he is, he'd never lose a game. He thinks very, very highly of himself. He's been trying to weasel his way out of MSU for years but the fact is there haven't been any takers.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
images
cousin Eddie coaching in the NFL?:lmao:

Cousin Eddie could not mop the showers of an NFL locker room.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Let's just pray we are one of the teams who don't.

And he was "considered" for the Oregon job? Why didn't he get it? We always hear about him being in consideration yet no actually offers him the job. Has he ever even been interviewed? As far as him supposedly turning down jobs, I don't believe it.

If he was 1/10th of the coach he actually thinks he is, he'd never lose a game. He thinks very, very highly of himself. He's been trying to weasel his way out of MSU for years but the fact is there haven't been any takers.

Ox, I don't know. I don't think he's a "great" coach, but winning at MSU is tough. He's done an admirable job and other AD's feel that way. I agree, I'd rather not see him in Gainesville again (other than on the visiting team's sideline). But he is sought after, as much as some of us don't care for him.

I actually met him in 2005 before he ever coached a game at UF. He spoke to our Gator Club and was a breath of fresh air after the Zook era. I wish him no ill will. I agree w/ you that he's arrogant and that is due to coaching under Urban - who was the most arrogant m'fer I've ever met (I'm sure there are other coaches just as arrogant - such as Saban, Jack Del Rio, etc). Mullin needs to realize he's 8 years removed from his glory days at UF!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, I don't know. I don't think he's a "great" coach, but winning at MSU is tough. He's done an admirable job and other AD's feel that way. I agree, I'd rather not see him in Gainesville again (other than on the visiting team's sideline). But he is sought after, as much as some of us don't care for him.

I actually met him in 2005 before he ever coached a game at UF. He spoke to our Gator Club and was a breath of fresh air after the Zook era. I wish him no ill will. I agree w/ you that he's arrogant and that is due to coaching under Urban - who was the most arrogant m'fer I've ever met (I'm sure there are other coaches just as arrogant - such as Saban, Jack Del Rio, etc). Mullin needs to realize he's 8 years removed from his glory days at UF!
I agree that winning at MSU is an absolutely impossible task which I why I think he would have left years ago if he had received any serious offers from other decent schools.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
My jags would hire him. Our front office loves mediocrity. We'd hire Butters too. That's how we roll.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He might want to coach in the NFL but he'd better improve where he is or he'll be coaching in High School. You hear his name from time to time mentioned for jobs, but I am with Ox. Never heard him interviewed or making the cut.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He was rejected from that Oregon HC offer because he was a climate change denier.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wish in one hand, **** in the other.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Our current athletic director is a Mississippi State guy. Don't give him any ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.