Who starts Week 1?

• Feleipe Franks

• Emory Jones

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Here’s a good read that a poster on reddit wrote up about Mullen speaking at this event last night (the same speech where he said he didnt know who Matt Corral was). It’s copy and pasted from reddit but there’s some good insight into Mullen, his thinking, a little bit about Emory Jones and Tebow:

I went to see Mullen speak tonight and had a good time! Nothing he said was really groundbreaking, but took some notes and figured I'd share. This is by no means everything he said, but I wrote down whatever I thought was the coolest.

He dressed up as OJ Simpson for career day in kindergarten.

When he was playing football in high school, he wasn’t heavily recruited at QB. “I made up for my weak arm by being really slow.” He was a tremendous leader, and he made sure he knew what every guy was doing during every play. He switched to TE after his first year in college because he wanted to be in the rotation.

He was asked what the most symbolic plays/games were for our last two championship runs. 2006: vs South Carolina, when the Gators blocked the field goal to win 17-16 by getting a fingertip on the ball; vs FSU, Leak throws an amazing touchdown pass; SEC championship vs Arkansas, Dan was told at halftime by Jeremy Foley that USC lost and if the Gators won they’d be going to the national championship, then they started playing again and immediately fumbled. 2008: vs Ole Miss, The Tebow Speech, the team wasn’t taking the game seriously because Ole Miss had just lost to Vandy, it was the turning point for the mentality of the entire team; Oklahoma national championship, Tebow to Nelson, then after the win Dan immediately flew to Mississippi because he was coaching UF and Miss St at the same time, he was sad that he
couldn't really celebrate that championship.

What he looks for in quarterbacks: #1 mental and physical toughness, #2 leadership, #3 decision-making and information processing, #4 intelligence, #5 how they throw the ball. Completion, accuracy, and winning record in high school are all very important. He talked about how bad Dak Prescott was at the beginning of camp, but because of his mentality, they knew he was the guy.

The Boston marathon was the first race Dan ever ran. He'd never even run a 5k before. He wants to do it again when he’s 50, then every ten years until he can't anymore.

He’ll beat anyone on the current UF football team in a five mile foot race. In sprints, everyone could beat him except maybe some guys on the OL and DL. "The players are Ferraris and I'm a plug-in Kia, I get better mileage."

Who surprised him during the first practices: the corners (Marco Wilson and CJ Henderson), the OL has looked good, RBs. The team as a whole has impressed him with the lack of resistance to the change in regime.

During the first seven weeks of conditioning, the average guy has dropped 3.5% body fat, added 55 lbs to squat, 35 lbs to lift (I'm a little fuzzy on the last one, missed part of it). He was incredibly impressed.

He is 100% sure that Tebow will play in the majors.

During his first four years of coaching football, he made $16,000 total. He told a story that during that time, he could afford one bottle of Gatorade a week, so he diluted it with water to make it last that long. Now he can't drink it straight-up, it just tastes like syrup. Most mornings now, he drinks a big glass of water mixed with about an inch of V8 Splash in the bottom.

He owns two cowbells, which are in storage with his Adidas clothing.

I watched some [film] to see how bad things might be [at UF]” after not having to care too much about us for a while, but he didn’t watch a bunch of film because he didn’t want to pre-judge people.

When Matt Corral de-committed: “Who is that?” Once we were done laughing, he said it was fine. He said he explained what the program would be to Matt and Matt didn’t want to be a part of it, so Dan didn't care that he left. Emory wanted to be a part of Dan's vision. Out of all the QBs Dan talked to, Emory impressed him the most because he told Dan, “I’m your guy. I’m going to win a championship for you,” while the others had more hang-ups. Emory understands what the program represents.

His first thought as he runs on the field at the beginning of a game is "go as fast as you can so you doesn’t get run over." Dan took "ballet and tap and jazz" as a kid (his mother is a classical ballet instructor) so when the it’s showtime, he wants pizzazz. He talked about how there were going to be "tons of pyrotechnics" at the beginning of games, sometimes players even get lost in the smoke.

Jordan brand as a recruiting tool: it's a big benefit because kids think Jordan is cool. You can market it. After the first week of workouts, they got the Jordan 1s and you would’ve thought every kid had won the lottery. They were going nuts over them.

Dan would beat Urban Meyer and Scoot Slotsman (are we still doing this?) in an Oklahoma drill, but Scott would beat him in a race.

Everything you see about Tim Tebow is real. He is that person 24/7, almost annoyingly so because you realize what a bad person you are when you hang around him. (Note: Dan's voice was hoarse in general from yelling at practice but it got worse here and he sniffled some so I was like is this man crying because he loves Timmy Tebow so much?? Wouldn't put it past him.)

Overall, Coach Mullen seemed as genuine in-person as he does when he does big press interviews. He had good energy and I'm somehow even more excited for the start of the season now!

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
"The players are Ferraris and I'm a plug-in Kia, I get better mileage."

Is that Kia swagged out?

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
"Here's the one thing I'll say about Timmy," Mullen said. "It is this: Everything you see about him is real. None of it's fake. None of it's a show. He is that way 24 hours a day, seven days a week. He's that strong in his faith 24/7. I mean, always. Almost annoyingly so.

"What I mean about that is after you hang around him you realize what a bad person you are. Right? You know, 'I could be living my life so much better,' like, he just has so much mental toughness to live his life in a disciplined way all the time."

This I believe, is one of the reason teams didn't want him around. They don't like to be reminded of "what a bad person you are'.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
"Here's the one thing I'll say about Timmy," Mullen said. "It is this: Everything you see about him is real. None of it's fake. None of it's a show. He is that way 24 hours a day, seven days a week. He's that strong in his faith 24/7. I mean, always. Almost annoyingly so.

"What I mean about that is after you hang around him you realize what a bad person you are. Right? You know, 'I could be living my life so much better,' like, he just has so much mental toughness to live his life in a disciplined way all the time."

This I believe, is one of the reason teams didn't want him around. They don't like to be reminded of "what a bad person you are'.

:exactly:

Him or Jesus.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Meh. Tebow is awesome, but if he truly had the skills to keep a starting job at that level, someone would pay the man. Word is he just couldn’t process defensive alignments fast enough. I’m glad he was given some opportunities, though. Definitely proud that he’s a Gator!

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Meh. Tebow is awesome, but if he truly had the skills to keep a starting job at that level, someone would pay the man. Word is he just couldn’t process defensive alignments fast enough. I’m glad he was given some opportunities, though. Definitely proud that he’s a Gator!

Agreed. That's why Kurt Warner hung in there for so long but make no mistake....it was an issue.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Agreed. That's why Kurt Warner hung in there for so long but make no mistake....it was an issue.

Oh, I know it’s an issue. But if he were good enough, it wouldn’t be enough to slow his career. I really wanted him to prove the doubters wrong. I’ll settle for 2 Gator MNCs...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Word is he just couldn’t process defensive alignments fast enough.
Some people just dont have it, that sense to see what is going to happen before it does and react the millisecond it does...that thing that the greatest QBs and point guards have. Hell, he wasnt just the best college QB of his era, he was was the best player, regardless if he didnt have what it takes to be one of the fifty or so professional QBs.

Im sure he would tell you he doesnt feel bad about what he was given.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some people just dont have it, that sense to see what is going to happen before it does and react the millisecond it does...that thing that the greatest QBs and point guards have. Hell, he wasnt just the best college QB of his era, he was was the best player, regardless if he didnt have what it takes to be one of the fifty or so professional QBs.

Im sure he would tell you he doesnt feel bad about what he was given.
Most people don't have it for that level...it's why there are only a handful of what we would call superstar QB's at the NFL level. There's a handful of solid QB and another that are starters but are kind of meh and hen you have a collection of crap that just can't do it. It's really amazing how few QB's can transition to that level.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My misreading of the thread title lead me to believe that Mullen was walking around greeting everyone with, "Ello, guvnah'!"

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m still not over Chip Kelly...
564.jpg

I bet your toilet hates to see you coming.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good to hear the OL has looked good. They will be one of the most veteran lines in the whole country probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator