Mullen: There's pressure on me to score points

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Man, I sure hope one of the QBs separates himself from the pack. It’s literally mind blowing how bad we’ve been at the position since Tebow.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We must be the only program in the country that knows you have to score points to win a game. We are so unreasonable.

Everyone else knows time of possession is how you win.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It will be interesting to see what Mullen does here with Jones being a true freshman. He did have a few years where he passed a lot more than normal at MSU but those QBs were decent passing the ball and there is no way Franks can run the ball like his other QBs did there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He did have a few years where he passed a lot more than normal at MSU but those QBs were decent passing the ball and there is no way Franks can run the ball like his other QBs did there.
I posted all the games that year from that year in the other thread. You saw what it looked like, mostly blowout losses.

He doesnt require a great running QB but he needs a QB who can AT LEAST make the defensive players respect the run, not just crash on the back. Mullinz said that himself several times during that interview during the spring game, that he needs a willing runner. Even Jake Allen figured it out and ran four or five times.

The offense doesnt work at all without a running threat bc we leave one maybe even two defensive guys, usually an end or outside LB, unblocked and option off them depending on what they do.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Man, I sure hope one of the QBs separates himself from the pack. It’s literally mind blowing how bad we’ve been at the position since Tebow.

It is not "mind blowing" if you consider the coaching UF has had. You can have a step back at QB if you lose a really good one, Wuerffel, Grossman or Tebow. To be consistently bad like UF has been is what you get when you hire bad offensive coaches.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Such a novel concept, scoring points, I can see why Foley 2.0 thought he hit a homerun hire.

And by score I hope he means lay at least a half a hundred on the cupcakes, and run it up on the rivals too. To attract top notch offensive players though he will have to do more than just score points, he will need to go outside his comfort zone and vary the offense a lot more. I'll say it again, QB dives and lateral passing will not win championships.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen very Spurrier-esque with that comment. Kind of like a dig at the Haters and Complainers and Dumpers...

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Mullen very Spurrier-esque with that comment. Kind of like a dig at the Haters and Complainers and Dumpers...

I hate to tell you this, but the defining characteristic of Spurrier was not subtle digs. The defining character of Spurrier was great teams with great offenses that had opponents doubting they had a chance many weeks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There was nothing subtle about SOS' digs.

Or the amount of points he put on the board.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
We must be the only program in the country that knows you have to score points to win a game. We are so unreasonable.

Everyone else knows time of possession is how you win.
Don't forget field position. It's all about flipping the field, not scoring points. At least if you've watched us over the past ten years.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since 2004 every team who won a national championship was in the top 30 in points per game. 10 of those 14 teams were top 15. It's not psychology; it is statistics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.