Mullen: There's pressure on me to score points

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Since 2004 every team who won a national championship was in the top 30 in points per game. 10 of those 14 teams were top 15. It's not psychology; it is statistics.
So a guy that averages 60th therefore....

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So a guy that averages 60th therefore....

Over the course of his head coaching career, that's true. Looking at the last 3 years, his average is 43rd. He's only had one season that broke the top 30, where his team was ranked 15th that year. Guess which year that was.

His comments and attitude in that interview just rubbed me the wrong way. He should have agreed that scoring lots of points wins championships. He acted like it was just a coincidence that we won championships while scoring lots of points, and by doing so insinuated that we're all just passionate fans that don't really understand football.

I guess I just miss the days where we had a head coach who wanted to win championships by scoring tons of points. I didn't get that from Mullen in this interview.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Since 2004 every team who won a national championship was in the top 30 in points per game. 10 of those 14 teams were top 15. It's not psychology; it is statistics.

Yep and scoring defense has a big correlation also. Almost all the champions since 2004 had a top scoring defense except for that 2010 Auburn team which was # 53. Just shows how much Newton did for that team.

Even FSU had the # 1 scoring defense in 2013. I must have remembered that year wrong because I thought they had some shootouts prior to that Auburn game but I guess not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.