MUST READ: Part 1: Mullen's destructive final years; Part 2: Billy Napier's rebuild

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Reading these articles a couple of years after the fact is so damn depressing. I remember reading one about Butters that was just as horrifying as this one in a few different ways. Before that, the Chimp melted down in his own way.

My point is, UF managed to hire THREE BLITHERING IDIOTS in a row, it's incredible. What's even more incredible is that Jeremy Foley was not only not run out of town on a rail like he should have been, they've allowed him to hang around and named an entire wing of the new facilities after him. Jesus wept.

What Gator fans have gone through since Tebow left should qualify us for PTSD disability payments from the government. We've been forced to eat crap and told it's ice cream. What a sh!t show.
Hahahaha! I loved that you used “blithering idiots”.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I always thought that Trask had to have been a crappy player in practice that just really excelled in a game setting. I gave Mullen the benefit of a doubt. Maybe Trask just made the most of his chance and things clicked once Franks went down.

Silly me.

According to the article, players saw the same thing with EJ vs AR.

Mullen just wasn't CEO material for a place like UF.

The article also points out he was resistant to making changes that involved those who he was loyal to. The problem for him is that the people he put in those specific positions were so bad that the average person started calling for their dismissal. That’s where things go sideways for him because the more the average person tells him what he’s doing is wrong—be it about a coach or player—the more he’ll dig in. That’s the “not thick enough skin” many of us talked about as a disqualification for a job like this. Finally rolling AR out in Jax against that defense for his first start was giant “finger” to all of us that said he should’ve been playing or starting before. Same with McElwain caving and starting Franks against that 2017 Mich defense in the opener because we all saw no future with DelRio. Successful coaches have to be able to let outside noise roll off. Both of those guys became resentful and took some of the dumbest arguments to the mat. Amateur hour.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I was kinda stunned that in his article and comments, he didn't mention that Marco was made a team captain for the next game... I kept waiting for it, but nada.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was kinda stunned that in his article and comments, he didn't mention that Marco was made a team captain for the next game... I kept waiting for it, but nada.
Yeah. That was such a shyt show.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just can't understand why Mullen didn't seize this important moment in our nation's history and leverage it for the good of the team. Maybe make some good out of that BLM bullshtt. "Georgia's had their knee on our necks for three straight years! It's time we Rodney Kinged those azzholes!!!"

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The Feinbaum comments were stupid. He's such a Bamma chode.

He's had it out for us since the Meyer years and is an agenda-driven tool.

None of the info in that article was a surprise to anyone who watched Gator football from 2018-2021. Sure, some of the details were shocking--but none of it was something that "wow, would have never expected to hear that." To the contrary--finding out that dwag Grantham was an unlikable d*ckhead and that Hevesy was even worse isn't remotely a surprise.

And to long-time football insiders, I'm abundantly confident that Feinbaum has heard similar things about all of those guys beforehand. Instead of bringing up what he knows to be true, he takes potshots at Florida. Fuchs him.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
There was only so much incompetence and jaw dropping revelation they could fit into one 40+ paragraph article. :lol:
Yeah, and you mentioned this, but the author didn't mention any of the "FU to the world" moments. Not really necessary to the article, but relevant to the personalities involved.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I just can't understand why Mullen didn't seize this important moment in our nation's history and leverage it for the good of the team. Maybe make some good out of that bullshtt. "Georgia's had their knee on our necks for three straight years! It's time we Rodney Kinged those azzholes!!!"
Sounds more Grantham like... just sayin'

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, and you mentioned this, but the author didn't mention any of the "FU to the world" moments. Not really necessary to the article, but relevant to the personalities involved.

No Darth Vader. No “Cowboys” talk 6 games in. No mention of Seider. “Recruiting season”, “more yardage, we win”, etc. you could write a novel of how to be a complete toolbag out of 3-4 years of material.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
College Football Reaction GIF by SEC Network

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
All this article proves to me is that the sunshine pumping asshats who tell us, "trust the coaches, they know more about football than you do" are so full of schit their eyes are brown. GatorChatter is the premiere fountain of knowledge on college football in the world, and it's about damn time some sunshine pumpers around here recognize it.

All hail GatorChatter!

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
All this article proves to me is that the sunshine pumping asshats who tell us, "trust the coaches, they know more about football than you do" are so full of schit their eyes are brown. GatorChatter is the premiere fountain of knowledge on college football in the world, and it's about damn time some sunshine pumpers around here recognize it.

All hail GatorChatter!
:mac:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
No Darth Vader. No “Cowboys” talk 6 games in. No mention of Seider. “Recruiting season”, “more yardage, we win”, etc. you could write a novel of how to be a complete toolbag out of 3-4 years of material.
Sadly for us, it’s not a novel. It was all too real.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
One point that this article and others get completely incorrect is this notion of Mullen’s “loyalty”. It infuriates me how it’s painted as if this quality is somehow more present in him than the average person. The truth is, it’s not him that’s different, it’s the circumstances. Many people have had to make tough decisions regarding employees, even perhaps, close, friends, or family members. They made those decisions, as excruciating as they may have been, because they were absolutely necessary. The average person can’t go home to his family and tell them he had to close up shop and they’ll lose the house, etc. because they simply can’t make the tough decisions that would maybe prevent that. As I’ve said before, that’s the problem with these contracts in college football. In any other normal real life situation, he responds totally differently. He didn’t not make the moves out of “loyalty”, but rather because he was going to walk away a very wealthy person regardless. That’s much less loyalty and much more indifference to the bigger picture.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
One point that this article and others get completely incorrect is this notion of Mullen’s “loyalty”. It infuriates me how it’s painted as if this quality is somehow more present in him than the average person. The truth is, it’s not him that’s different, it’s the circumstances. Many people have had to make tough decisions regarding employees, even perhaps, close, friends, or family members. They made those decisions, as excruciating as they may have been, because they were absolutely necessary. The average person can’t go home to his family and tell them he had to close up shop and they’ll lose the house, etc. because they simply can’t make the tough decisions that would maybe prevent that. As I’ve said before, that’s the problem with these contracts in college football. In any other normal real life situation, he responds totally differently. He didn’t not make the moves out of “loyalty”, but rather because he was going to walk away a very wealthy person regardless. That’s much less loyalty and much more indifference to the bigger picture.
Yes, there's a problem when getting your ass fired is a HUGE windfall. Butters did something similar in that he lied his ass off to get let go. If these guys knew that getting canned left them with NOTHING (like most people), perhaps their actions would be different.

It's tough to read this article and remember that Mullen is still being paid millions from UF while he skis behind his yacht and lounges on the beach. If only the rest of us could fail that hard.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Serious question. Is this kind of stuff known to our beat writers but they are too scared to write it at the time? Or, is this the kind of stuff which only comes out after the fact when players are no longer scared to say anything?
yes, yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.