My absolute favorite musician Gregg Allman died today

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Duane was 24. Like Duane, the ABB bass player Berry Oakley died one year later in a motorcycle crash just a couple of blocks from Duane's fatal motorcycle crash. He was also 24. Weird huh?

Very weird...
I thought 33 was the weird age:
John Belushi
David Koresh
Carole Lombard
Carolyn Kennedy
Chris Farley
Don Rich (of the Buckaroos)
And of course ... Jesus

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Allmans at the UF Bandshell, January 1982.

Is that Lake Alice?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's the only lake right near the Bandshell

What I thought. Betts played there in May '78, a month before graduation. Was an awesome concert.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
What I thought. Betts played there in May '78, a month before graduation. Was an awesome concert.

damn...I'm jealous.
I got to G'ville exactly eight months after the '82 concert above.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
damn...I'm jealous.
I got to G'ville exactly eight months after the '82 concert above.

I'd have rather seen Betts with the Allmans. I was back in Florida in January 1982 but I missed it. Betts is ridiculously good in concert.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Amazing how many bands copied the Allmans. Amazing, too, how many bands got their start in Jacksonville, including the Allmans.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a cover of a great Skynyrd song by Gregg thats damned good. He did this at a Skynyrd tribute show in Atl a few years ago.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I had the pleasure of seeing him in Tallahassee in '79 I think it was. He was part of a three-act deal with a couple of country guys, Johnny Lee, who was up and coming at the time, and "The Possum," George Jones. Kind of an odd mix, but Allman was far and away the best that night. "Midnight Rider" was really good. Only thing I remember about the other two was Jones ran off the stage in the middle of a song to get a few swigs from the bottle. Band kept on playing and didn't miss a beat. He ran back in like nothing happened.

Wish I'd have seen the Allman's together live. They were always a featured group at the impromptu pasture parties in my teens and early twenties. They could play.

Jun 2, 2015
My son is a plumbing contractor and when he first started out he did a lot of service work. One of his first customers was Geraldine Allman. He was doing some work for her one day and got to meet Greg & Cher who were staying with Mrs. Allman. She was a free spirit and was exceptionally smart and worked as an accountant to support her family. The "Allman Joys" played @ some of the local teenage hangouts here in Daytona Beach. She passed away in 2015 at the age of 98. See attached
.http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20150725/mama-a-mother-of-gregg-and-duane-allman-dies

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.