Name Something you didnt understand adults liking when you were a kid, but you understand now

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Name something you didnt understand adults liking when you were a kid, but you totally understand now

Saw this on twitter and there were some brilliant responses.

I'll start: coffee

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’m surprised you didn’t go with…. Your mom!
I don’t think I’ve ever done a mom joke on here.

I mean, I did your mom and it was nothing to joke about.
Judging Big Brother GIF by Big Brother Australia

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Name something you didnt understand adults liking when you were a kid, but you totally understand now

Saw this on twitter and there were some brilliant responses.

I'll start: coffee
I have an odd twist on this... i didn't drink hot coffee as a kid, i'm with you there. But, oddly, when my parents went to bed, they'd almost always leave their remaining coffee (milk and sugar, and yeah, for some weird ass reason, they drank coffee at night and left the cups out) in the family room and on my way to do my paper route at 4:30 am, i LOVED drinking the leftover cold coffee... ice coffee wasn't "invented for another 30 years!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I have an odd twist on this... i didn't drink hot coffee as a kid, i'm with you there. But, oddly, when my parents went to bed, they'd almost always leave their remaining coffee (milk and sugar, and yeah, for some weird ass reason, they drank coffee at night and left the cups out) in the family room and on my way to do my paper route at 4:30 am, i LOVED drinking the leftover cold coffee... ice coffee wasn't "invented for another 30 years!

There’s also a difference, to me at least, between iced coffee and coffee that has simply sat at room temp and cooled. It’s still one of my favorite things, and occasionally on weekend days I’ll notice I didn’t finish my morning coffee and have some at like 2-3. The best. But generally speaking, I was drinking coffee at like 3 years old. I still have memories of sending my sister off on the bus to school while my mom and I sipped coffee.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
There’s also a difference, to me at least, between iced coffee and coffee that has simply sat at room temp and cooled. It’s still one of my favorite things, and occasionally on weekend days I’ll notice I didn’t finish my morning coffee and have some at like 2-3. The best. But generally speaking, I was drinking coffee at like 3 years old. I still have memories of sending my sister off on the bus to school while my mom and I sipped coffee.
Yeah, "ice" wasn't the right word... but in the winter in that room, it was more on the side of cold than cool.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Back to the original discussion, when my parents would be at dinner with other couples, I would always sit there in amazement at the battle that would ensue over who would pay the check. My thought process at the time was always , “what are you crazy, why would you argue and not just let them pay?”

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Back to the original discussion, when my parents would be at dinner with other couples, I would always sit there in amazement at the battle that would ensue over who would pay the check. My thought process at the time was always , “what are you crazy, why would you argue and not just let them pay?”
My rule on such matters... i offer ONCE

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
My rule on such matters... i offer ONCE

I’m similar now. But had to get my head comfortable with the fact that on the drive home, the other couple was inevitably going to be going, “I can’t believe he didn’t pick up the check…” It’s so odd to think about. :lol:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Whiskey.

When I was ten or so, my dad and my uncle were each enjoying a glass of bourbon and like a couple of dum-dums my cousin and I thought it would be fun to ask for some. My uncle told us we could have as much as we wanted and told us to fetch a couple of glasses, which we excitedly did. He poured a tiny bit into each glass which we happily imbibed. I thought someone had poured gasoline in my mouth and tossed in a lit match. I ran to the sink and probably spent a good ten minutes trying to wash that taste out of my mouth. That was of course the reaction my uncle was hoping for. My cousin on the other hand liked it and asked his dad for more. The promise for as much as we wanted was immediately withdrawn and that was that. (My dad thought it turned pretty funny and really busted his brother's balls for a while about it.) Surprisingly my cousin did not become an alcoholic and is now a very successful guy and a moderate drinker. In my case it was a long time later that I learned to appreciate any type of whiskey; now I enjoy it more than any other hard liquor.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Hey, I OFFER ONCE!!! It's not like I told you, "I gotta piss, be right back" and then disappeared... ask @gatorev12 about that one... I showed you some respect!!
As I recall - though I may have been imparied - Mrs Deet reached out to you and asked where in holy hell you were. When I saw that look of fear on your face as you mumbled something about having to leave, I took pity on you, and picked up the check - which hadn't even been requested yet - so you could get out of there ASAP. On a side note, I was impressed at how quickly you could still move given you size and age.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
As I recall - though I may have been imparied - Mrs Deet reached out to you and asked where in holy hell you were. When I saw that look of fear on your face as you mumbled something about having to leave, I took pity on you, and picked up the check - which hadn't even been requested yet - so you could get out of there ASAP. On a side note, I was impressed at how quickly you could still move given you size and age.
Fair enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.