Napier vs UF predecessors after first eight games

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I'm just a simple unfrozen football fan, but I think a lot of people are missing something that Law (and others) used to talk about a lot...

I don't care how high the recruiting class is ranked if the players you signed are not filling the holes in your roster to make you a complete team. I would think you could have a very highly ranked class that just flat out isn't very effective while another coach could have a much lower ranked class, but they are the right guys in the needed positions and effectively coached as a team (like UK has built).

Again, and I might have this wrong, but just from browsing our threads, I am concerned that we've got a zillion very highly rated secondary recruits that are skewing our overall ranking higher, but won't translate to squat if there aren't at least decent LBs and DL players in front of them.
I think what you meant to say was FUk u ITRaZ!! Amirite? Just poking fun. :grin:
:heehee:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't care how high the recruiting class is ranked if the players you signed are not filling the holes in your roster to make you a complete team.
We've suffered from this for 12 years. It's the reason we've had 2 teams, 2018 and 2019 that were even halfway balanced. We had no offensive line from 2011until 2018....now we have a pretty good offensive line and subpar defense...

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I'm just a simple unfrozen football fan, but I think a lot of people are missing something that Law (and others) used to talk about a lot...

I don't care how high the recruiting class is ranked if the players you signed are not filling the holes in your roster to make you a complete team. I would think you could have a very highly ranked class that just flat out isn't very effective while another coach could have a much lower ranked class, but they are the right guys in the needed positions and effectively coached as a team (like UK has built).

Again, and I might have this wrong, but just from browsing our threads, I am concerned that we've got a zillion very highly rated secondary recruits that are skewing our overall ranking higher, but won't translate to squat if there aren't at least decent LBs and DL players in front of them.
Actually aside from 5 star Marshall, the rest are low 4s except for Dean who somehow got a .92 rating
Hill and Torrence are .89 and TJ is .88

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Actually aside from 5 star Marshall, the rest are low 4s except for Dean who somehow got a .92 rating
I meant the current class we are hoping to sign... all the big splashes seem to be one CB/S after another.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Let’s do this, all ratings aside. On our Defense who jumps off the screen at you during games?
I’ll say Burney had by far his best game vs UGA.
Miller is no doubt our leader.

Usually you watch a team with good players and they’ll point out a guy and give him praise because you’ll see him making a noticeable impact.
Who are our guys that do that?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Let’s do this, all ratings aside. On our Defense who jumps off the screen at you during games?
I’ll say Burney had by far his best game vs UGA.
Miller is no doubt our leader.

Usually you watch a team with good players and they’ll point out a guy and give him praise because you’ll see him making a noticeable impact.
Who are our guys that do that?
You mean a POSITIVE impact? If not, you know the answer #0

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I meant the current class we are hoping to sign... all the big splashes seem to be one CB/S after another.
There are so many bust at all the different positions that you really do a disservice by not balancing out your recruiting is what you're saying....I agree. It seems like we get 5-6 4&5 star DB 's and then struggle to get enough Dline(real dlinemen not 205# speed rushers) or enough oline and TE's.....it shows up a couple years down the line and when it does it's ugly.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Mr. Obvious over here.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

You do have a point. Class balance is important for sure. But I think outside of linebacker and qb we're doing pretty good. I wouldn't consider this class db heavy.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Mr. Obvious over here.
:lol: yeah, but everyone seems overly focused on overall #whatever or .89whatever vs .90whatever and not the question of "was it the right guy for the position we are forcing him to play" vs like Law has been saying for years "we're making safeties play LB, LBs play DE, DEs play DL..."

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We’re probably on par with KY right now but Napier inherited one of the worst program cultures in the country. Just go look through Mullen’s recruiting classes…not the rankings but look person by person and you’ll see exactly why we’re here. Sure he had a couple top 10 classes “on paper” but then you look and half of those classes left through transfer or dismissal, then at least a 1/4 are here but have had no real impact. Then you have the others making an impact but their impact is extremely detrimental. Our best offensive players were brought in by Napier year 1…2 of which played at ULL last year and another at ASU. We are extremely devoid of talent

Doesn't every class and program go though defections and guys that don't pan out? Mullen also brought in some solid transfers in his tenure.I mean obviously things weren't going great or he wouldn't have gotten fired .
I can understand if you wanna say we're doing a drastic scheme change on both sides of the ball. We're having some serious qb struggles and he wasn'tleft with a very good qb room. And don't have the personnel to do what we wanna do. I could understand that. But to say this is the least talented team in the last 12 years is a stretch to me.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Fortunately, it appears his ego isn't in the way. He admires Saban for his ability to change on the fly. He's selfless almost to a fault. We'll see how quick he is on the uptake. I'm not sure I'd bet against him. He's a determined cuss.
This could be his biggest redeeming quality. He genuinely seems to hold himself accountable. And willing to adapt and what not. A very likeable person imo.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: yeah, but everyone seems overly focused on overall #whatever or .89whatever vs .90whatever and not the question of "was it the right guy for the position we are forcing him to play" vs like Law has been saying for years "we're making safeties play LB, LBs play DE, DEs play DL..."
Glad to see you channeling your inner Law.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You are right about the starters, but going by the On3 composite, five of the backups were top 200 players. (Pouncey, Collier, McMillon, Wilson, & Moore.) Six if you include Kimber.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Doesn't every class and program go though defections and guys that don't pan out? Mullen also brought in some solid transfers in his tenure.I mean obviously things weren't going great or he wouldn't have gotten fired .
I can understand if you wanna say we're doing a drastic scheme change on both sides of the ball. We're having some serious qb struggles and he wasn'tleft with a very good qb room. And don't have the personnel to do what we wanna do. I could understand that. But to say this is the least talented team in the last 12 years is a stretch to me.
Just stop....were mid american conference level talent.....we won't completely know about the coaching until this changes. Coach's don't get outrun to the outside, miss tackles, miss sure game changing ints x4, get blown up on the los, miss their coverage assignments, get beaten in coverage over and over and get pushed around physically by the likes of UCF and USF....understand?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Just stop....were mid american conference level talent.....we won't completely know about the coaching until this changes. Coach's don't get outrun to the outside, miss tackles, miss sure game changing ints x4, get blown up on the los, miss their coverage assignments, get beaten in coverage over and over and get pushed around physically by the likes of UCF and USF....understand?
I understand how your mom feels. She loves me but I just cant free up to return the feelings. I did like the verbal part though.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I understand how your mom feels. She loves me but I just cant free up to return the feelings. I did like the verbal part though.
fail old man GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator