Navajo Code Talkers

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
So I came across this short video on the Navajo Code Talkers. I know there was a movie out recently on them that I have unfortunately missed (don't do theaters too much anymore.) Neat explanation of how they worked, and how much faster it was than regular coded messages.

End of video includes a good message for today.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
So I came across this short video on the Navajo Code Talkers. I know there was a movie out recently on them that I have unfortunately missed (don't do theaters too much anymore.) Neat explanation of how they worked, and how much faster it was than regular coded messages.

End of video includes a good message for today.

Great find and a great story. Growing up and living my life in the eastern US, I never knew any Navajo until we took a trip last spring to Arizona and southern Utah. Our Navajo tour guide in Monument Valley was a former Marine. Very proud and very patriotic. He ended up being typical of all the ones we spoke with. Just a bunch of great people.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Great find and a great story. Growing up and living my life in the eastern US, I never knew any Navajo until we took a trip last spring to Arizona and southern Utah. Our Navajo tour guide in Monument Valley was a former Marine. Very proud and very patriotic. He ended up being typical of all the ones we spoke with. Just a bunch of great people.

In 2007 I was working on a Florida Incident Command Team on a fire in Montana. One of the Situation Unit Leaders (mapping guys) was a Navajo, probably in his fifties at the time. I remember having a small conversation about the Code Talkers. Unfortunately the details are lost to time, but I enjoyed working with him.

In 2015 we also did a family vacation out west. Heading from Colorado to the Grand Canyon, we saw signs for a McDonalds (I think it was MDs?) advertising a Code Talker display. Made it a point to stop to see it - had a glass case display along with plaques, pictures, and memorabilia. Interesting place to see that type of display.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A cowboy comes across an Indian with his ear to the ground.

The Indian says "Covered wagon. Man. Woman. Little girl with blond hair. Black dog."

Cowboy: "How can you tell all of that?"

Indian: "Run over me. Half hour ago."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.