***NCAA Tournament*** Florida vs Virginia

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes it is a team game and if say three of our better players got hot at the same time it would be a sure victory. I would be very happy if at the end of the game we could clear the bench. We have not been able to do that enough. Getting all the players the experience would be great.
Wisky cleared the bench last night, with 0.6 seconds remaining in the game. :headslap:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This could be an interesting game. UVA's style, vs. UF who has no style but can play a variety of ways. UVA is going to be extremely physical on defense and bump cutters and try to coax players to areas of the floor they don;t want to be. On offense UVA has a lot of trouble scoring but I look for them to try and exploit UF's lack of physicality in the paint by trying to go down low and try and control the offensive boards. UVA plays in very low scoring games b/c they are great defensively and also b/c they milk the shot clock on offense. Since we really do not have a set style and tend to meld into the other team's pace, I think it is crucial for us not to panic b/c we are going to get many fewer possessions than we are accustomed to. Therefore I feel it is imperative to be very smart with our shot selection, b/c chances are we are going to get fewer shots. Many times opponents of UVA get so panicky on offense b/c they are not getting a lot of shots, they jack up the first thing they can and often times that plays into UVA's hands. Taking good shots is step one and is easily controllable. Making those shots is another story but that is why they play the game. If we force UVA out of their style, UF can easily beat this UVA team.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I'm seeing 127 with the Gators favored by 1 (-1). But I can't access Vegas Insider at work to see the current listing, but low 120s I think would be about right. Those rims seemed tight on Thursday and the pressure's going to be amped up to entirely different level, with two of the best defenses in the country going at it. I'd be very surprised if either team breaks 70, and if one does, I'd expect it to be us since we average 78 per game and they only average 66. UVA averages 56 points against, while we average 66 points against, what they normally score. Let's say UVA gets their average of 66 (which is also the average we give up) and UVA keeps us under our scoring average, about half way between what we average per game and what they give up per game. We win 67-66. Book it and take the over. :bandit:

Excellent analysis and that may be what happens, if UVa wins the battle of tempo. If UF can speed things up a bit, then maybe UF can get into the 70s. In 2012, I think it was good shooting early by UF that sped up the game.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UVA wants to slow the game down. We need to speed the game up and use our athletic abilities for dunks, layups, and kick outs to the 3 point line like we did in the 2nd half vs ETSU. Go Gators!!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Wisky cleared the bench last night, with 0.6 seconds remaining in the game. :headslap:

I would prefer it to be for longer than that, but who knows if the conditions will exist. I think most of the team did get on the floor.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
UVA wants to slow the game down. We need to speed the game up and use our athletic abilities for dunks, layups, and kick outs to the 3 point line like we did in the 2nd half vs ETSU. Go Gators!!

I agree if we can get turnovers perhaps time to show some zone press if we have that capability.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree if we can get turnovers perhaps time to show some zone press if we have that capability.
Would be interesting to see if we actually threw a real full court press on them would that speed them up into our type of game. Normally we play man press and eat up 10 seconds, but UVA will likely be very content with that given their style. We need to speed the game up, but like FF said, we need to take good shots as well, and make them.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone know how well uva takes care of the ball?

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone know how well uva takes care of the ball?
Assist to T/O is 14.1 to 9.5 per game.
Ours is 12.7 to 11.9 per game. That equals about 3.5 positive points for them, assuming they shoot 50% on the T/O differential. Gonna be a good, hard nosed game. But I hope we blow em out.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Assist to T/O is 14.1 to 9.5 per game.
Ours is 12.7 to 11.9 per game. That equals about 3.5 positive points for them, assuming they shoot 50% on the T/O differential. Gonna be a good, hard nosed game. But I hope we blow em out.
Thanks. I think part of that is the pace they play at compared to how we play. I was just wondering because I think one of the reasons vandy gave us so much trouble is they don't turn the ball over. We have to get some transition points in this game somehow.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I could see this game playing out like our match-ups with USCe: slow play and low scoring. Offensive rebounding could be huge.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see this as a game where UF plays out of their minds, wins convincingly, just to get our hopes up in the next round :lol:

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I will look forward to watching us, clearly with a huge size advantage, play right into their hands with Hill and Chiozza competing to see who can turn the ball over the most and shooting 3's. Hayes will be a non-factor since most of the offensive rebound potential goes out the window when your shot selection is 25 ft from the basket. We win but closer than it should be.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Two words....force tempo. Get the game into the 70's and we win with ease....**** around and keep it in the low to mid 60's and we lose.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Really annoyed that we have to wait all day for this game.
That is to our advantage I think. IF Devin R has another good game we win. He aid his mom went to UVA and they never recruited him. I hope he takes that personally. If we take care of the ball and Allen finds the basket we are money.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Early starts are rougher. Playing the second game in a two game session is tougher as well since the tip time fluctuates.

Bought concert tix for tonight at 8, assuming our tip gets pushed back to 9 or so, I'll get home to see most of it.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We struggle in the half court game. Tempo tempo tempo.

If the score is in the 50's - UVA is probably winning

If we can push the ball up the court for most of the game and get this into the high 60's or 70's - UF wins

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.