New LED ribbon boards in the Swamp

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Wait, so they closed in the north end zone the last, to make it a complete bowl, and there's an engineering defect that it can't hold wait?

I'm calling BS. If Clown Town can do it, so can we. Hell, look st the screen at Everbanks.
With some of the things they are doing nowadays it can be done. The real question is... is UF willing to pay to have it done?

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This excites me as much as when the topic of uniform combinations takes over boards and talk shows. Let me know when our new JackA$$ AD does something positive in the stadium by having the gonads to put a new head coach on the sideline and not wait for the obvious!!!!!
448.jpg

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
With enough time and money you can do anything but it's definitely an engineering challange. The wind loads on a structure that size are enormous. The problem isn't weight so much as it is shear.

First look at the south end zone supports at Florida Field
Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 4.30.16 PM.png

The south end zone scoreboard isn't large by modern standards but it's large enough. There are 6 triangular trusses on the roof of the walkway structure. Fortunately the south end zone was built with enough strength to support the forces involved such that a large scoreboard could be added after the fact.

Now look at the back of the north end zone of Florida Field
Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 4.48.30 PM.png

The current scoreboard is supported by two small columns; in fact they look too small - remind me to stay away from the north end zone in a strong wind. But those columns no doubt extend all the way to the ground. Some of the shear forces must be distributed to the top of the stadium and the touchdown terrace building.

Finally look at Eberbanks Field the Gator Bowl scoreboard which is supported by what looks like 7 large truss/columns that reach all the way to the ground.

Sorry. I forgot what I was saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah they would have to rip up the whole under side of the north end zone to put in a bigger scoreboard up there. It sucks, but it is what it is.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Why is it even necessary?
Honestly it's only a pain in the ass to the fans that sit in the upper south end zone. So yes it's a very expensive upgrade that only benefits a few thousand of us in the cheap seats. Stay out of sections 53, 55, 57, 59.
I'd rather have a pool anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Threat, do it again and you'll get a vacation. You know the rules.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
With enough time and money you can do anything but it's definitely an engineering challange. The wind loads on a structure that size are enormous. The problem isn't weight so much as it is shear.

First look at the south end zone supports at Florida Field
View attachment 6832

The south end zone scoreboard isn't large by modern standards but it's large enough. There are 6 triangular trusses on the roof of the walkway structure. Fortunately the south end zone was built with enough strength to support the forces involved such that a large scoreboard could be added after the fact.

Now look at the back of the north end zone of Florida Field
View attachment 6833

The current scoreboard is supported by two small columns; in fact they look too small - remind me to stay away from the north end zone in a strong wind. But those columns no doubt extend all the way to the ground. Some of the shear forces must be distributed to the top of the stadium and the touchdown terrace building.

Finally look at Eberbanks Field the Gator Bowl scoreboard which is supported by what looks like 7 large truss/columns that reach all the way to the ground.

Sorry. I forgot what I was saying.
Seriously, thanks for the instruction. You made it perfectly clear to me.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Now if only they could figure out a way to make the north end zone scoreboard bigger.

Why do we need a bigger scoreboard when we only score in the single digits? Once we crack the top 100 in total offense we can get a bigger scoreboard.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Yeah would have like to spend the money that was spent on the ticker tape display on a upgraded bigger screens at both ends. I guess cause we are going to have to pay all these coaches buyouts we aren't going to be putting any "serious" money into the stadium

What buyouts? And what I expect is a strategic plan that includes all improvements that deliver value and the means to pay for them.

The experiment with the basketball team projecting things on the court was so successful that we bought the system. I wonder if that could be done in the swamp for night games.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
It's unlikely Stricklin is responsible for the new boards. Government just does not move that quickly.

There is no way Stricklin took over in October and formed a committee or requested reports on additions, set up the initial meetings, specs meetings, commissioned environmental impact studies, architectural meetings, request for purchase, bids, etc. and all that happened in the last 9 or 10 months. Anyone that has ever worked on large projects with government organizations knows what I'm talking about.

This was all put into motion under Foley.

Just because the news broke this week, that doesn't mean it's a new development.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This was all put into motion under Foley.
More likely someone under Foley who finally badgered him into doing some actual upgrades before he took his golden parachute out of UF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator