New Louisiana coach throwing shade at Sling Blade?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
No, I like Billy Napier a lot. I don't dismiss the premise of the "diamond in the rough" concept, which is what I believe we got in him. What I question is the idea of digging for more diamonds in the same rough. No need to press our luck. We can and should be doing most of our shopping at reliable retailers like Tiffany & Co.

There are only a few programs doing what he built at ULL, based on Bama’s system and structure. So he’s got to get them from UGA, ULL and find other current or former Bama staff to ramp up. He’s taking the people he trusts. Hopefully there will be enough SEC experience in the mix to meet the grind.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree a bit on hiring, "his top assistants and staff." Like you mentioned, consider the last couple regimes. Mississippi State and Colorado State-quality assistants did not turn out to be Florida-quality assistants. ULL is even lower down the food chain than those schools. That staff was hired to fit vastly different budgetary considerations.

If Billy wants to hire his DC to be our DB coach or something like that, maybe, but I'd rather not see any lateral moves. I'd prefer that our whole staff be out of ULL's price range. "You get what you pay for," is true more often than not.
I would expect the same results from ULL coaches making the move to FL as Mullen’s MSU coaches if Napier becomes lazy, vacations before bowl games, makes assistants text recruits pretending to be him--and recruiting laziness in general, grovel at the feet of more senior players trying to be their buddy, make team captains out of shoe-throwers, contrive to be ‘hip’ around players trying to win admiration, hold on to an utter failure as DC, waste 3 or 4 years on ‘projects’ at key positions, habitually botch clock management, etc. etc. Staff and subordinates eventually assume the personality of the leader--CEO, manager, head coach, etc.

Dean Wormer once said: “Fat, stupid and lazy is no way to head ball coach Florida Gator football, son.”
I agree we need some Home Run hires to compliment the staff Napier has been able to draw in so far as bowl and NFL seasons end.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree a bit on hiring, "his top assistants and staff." Like you mentioned, consider the last couple regimes. Mississippi State and Colorado State-quality assistants did not turn out to be Florida-quality assistants. ULL is even lower down the food chain than those schools. That staff was hired to fit vastly different budgetary considerations.

If Billy wants to hire his DC to be our DB coach or something like that, maybe, but I'd rather not see any lateral moves. I'd prefer that our whole staff be out of ULL's price range. "You get what you pay for," is true more often than not.

He hired 3 ULL guys for on field roles - one will be the co-DC. That seems reasonable. Butters only hired one guy (English) from his CSU staff. Mullen hired practically his entire MSU staff. Three ULL guys isn't a concern. If he did what Mullen did it would be a big concern. The fact ULL hired one of his assistants to take over as head coach speaks to the quality of the coaches he had on staff - MSU didn't hire one of Mullen's guys to take over, and CSU didn't hire one of Butters guys to take over. He's hiring a very good mix to go along w/ his 3 ULL guys (plus the OL coach will be an 'assistant' to Sale). Butters hired a slew of G5 assistants that had no business being at UF. Mullen hired all of his buddies. Napier is doing things completely different than the last two. Muschamp hired a pretty good staff - other than Weis.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019

Guess we will see who is correct in the coming years. I'll bet BN is smarter than both of us when it comes to staffing, coaching and recruiting. Carry on G!

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
No, I like Billy Napier a lot. I don't dismiss the premise of the "diamond in the rough" concept, which is what I believe we got in him. What I question is the idea of digging for more diamonds in the same rough. No need to press our luck. We can and should be doing most of our shopping at reliable retailers like Tiffany & Co.

Agreed...But he built his staff at ULL...Why not take those he believes in with him? How many new coaches clean house? What if you're the guy/gal cut loose?

As for the players...I understand...You may have loyalty either way...To the Team or To the Coach.

Hey New Guy...Napier did it at ULL now it's your turn...Build ULL your way. Isn't that every coaches dream?...That tells me something right there.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
He hired 3 ULL guys for on field roles - one will be the co-DC. That seems reasonable. Butters only hired one guy (English) from his CSU staff. Mullen hired practically his entire MSU staff. Three ULL guys isn't a concern. If he did what Mullen did it would be a big concern.
Looks like we're on the same page. Thank you for appreciating and validating my feelings, just like they taught us at couples therapy. :heehee:

I had thought Butters brought more than one of his CSU staffers with him but I will take your word for it on that. My crack research team is not available today. I made them work straight through the holidays and they researched so much crack that they needed a few days off.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Agreed...But he built his staff at ULL...Why not take those he believes in with him? How many new coaches clean house? What if you're the guy/gal cut loose?

As for the players...I understand...You may have loyalty either way...To the Team or To the Coach.

Hey New Guy...Napier did it at ULL now it's your turn...Build ULL your way. Isn't that every coaches dream?...That tells me something right there.
Well like I said before it's just a general concern I have, based mainly on what happened the last time a UF coach from a lower-tier school brought his lower-tier cronies with him. Again I can buy that we may have found a diamond in the rough in Billy, but am not convinced that we uncovered a whole diamond patch down in Lafayette.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Well like I said before it's just a general concern I have, based mainly on what happened the last time a UF coach from a lower-tier school brought his lower-tier cronies with him. Again I can buy that we may have found a diamond in the rough in Billy, but am not convinced that we uncovered a whole diamond patch down in Lafayette.

Brother:

I agree. It's ULL right? However...He's building a staff of 70...7...0. Just because it's UF you can't just pick whom ever you choose from the NFL and P5. I know some on here don't believe me...because "This is UF. We're ELITE. Fuchs told us so"

I am sure, unlike Mullen...If some don't work out...Napier will show them the door.

And remember...All those Superstars had to start somewhere. Many on his team are "Just Getting Warmed Up"

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Brother:

I agree. It's ULL right? However...He's building a staff of 70...7...0. Just because it's UF you can't just pick whom ever you choose from the NFL and P5. I know some on here don't believe me...because "This is UF. We're ELITE. Fuchs told us so"

I am sure, unlike Mullen...If some don't work out...Napier will show them the door.

And remember...All those Superstars had to start somewhere. Many on his team are "Just Getting Warmed Up"

Best movie he ever did IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator