Next season's concerns not named D, OL or QB

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Sooo we've pretty much beat the D, Oline and QB concerns to death. Everybody has formed their opinion by now.

This is what keeps me up at night:

Skill position blocking: TE and RB blocking has been horrible. Is that on Davis this year? If so I have some hope. What about WR blocking downfield? They haven't had much reason to do that in a while.

ST. What positives we've had are on the legs of Townsend and Eddy. But other than it's been the redheaded stepchild unit and we know who's in charge. Will we muster any returns this year? Hell will we not fair catch on the five? I've given up on ever seeing a block.

Route running: Seems like a lot of past excuses have been that receivers were not running crisp routes or correct routes at all. Will that be fixed?

Play calling: Poor execution covers up a lot of flaws. Which has it been? Honestly if you look at the plays called in the 3rd at Tenn we didn't go conservative as much as we couldn't execute the plays called. Certainly we have been predictable. Has that been because of limited options/tools?

Red Zone: A basket of deplorables.

Arkansasitis: Of all the losses this is the most concerning. We had every incentive to win. We had no excuses to lose. Can't hang that on LDR's arm. And yet the game plan was totally clueless. It makes me worry that Mac is Richt 2.0.

In game adjustments: Honestly haven't had a reason to really adjust. We've either been kinda coasting to a win or so blown out it didn't matter. What happens when we are actually in a game that matters and a chess match develops?

Season adjustments: Let's say we get off to a great start and the offense is purring. What happens when defenses adjust to our tendencies? Will/can the coaching staff adjust? Don't know because they haven't had to yet.

In conclusion there are a helluva a lot of unanswered questions. Good news is they should all be answered this season.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep Goolsby and Scarlett were horrible at times blocking. I watched Scarlett a couple of times literally just stand there while a blitzer ran right past him to the QB. That will get the QB killed against Michigan with how much they blitz.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
All of those are issues, but most are related to the players. surely they know better than to say stand around and not block someone. Coaching only goes so far, but perhaps sitting will provide motivation.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Agree completely. The only thing I would add:

Arkansasitis: They physically beat the crap out of us.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing I have confidence in is that our RBs will be above average and our kickers are great. I expect our DEs to be good in 3rd and long rushing the passer.

Everything else is a concern.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
DB is a concern for me. Gray's work with the DB's don't get talked about much because of the talent he had at corner but he turned Marcel Harris and Nick Washington's careers around. Now we have a young DB coach and we're gonna be playing some freshman DBs.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Blocking: In Davis we trust
Special Teams is Nord: Abandon hope all yea that enter here
Route Running: Anybody have an opinion on Dixon?
Red Zone: I don't expect to be in the Red zone much because our TDs are gonna come from Frank's bombs :dance:If we find ourselves in the Red Zone then Toney/Massey.Zaire gives us options
Play Calling :bob: Nuss gots this

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Blocking: In Davis we trust
Special Teams is Nord: Abandon hope all yea that enter here
Route Running: Anybody have an opinion on Dixon?
Red Zone: I don't expect to be in the Red zone much because our TDs are gonna come from Frank's bombs :dance:If we find ourselves in the Red Zone then Toney/Massey.Zaire gives us options
Play Calling :bob: Nuss gots this

RE: Nord

Anyone who has hopes that our ST's will perform well (outside of kicking and punting) you're in for a big letdown.

Why in the F did McElwain retain that worthless, oxygen stealing, non-coaching, non-recruiting, low-energy dud??

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
RE: Nord

Anyone who has hopes that our ST's will perform well (outside of kicking and punting) you're in for a big letdown.

Why in the F did McElwain retain that worthless, oxygen stealing, non-coaching, non-recruiting, low-energy dud??

Five greatest mysteries of the world:
Where is Jimmy Hoffa buried?
Who was Jack The Ripper?
Where is the Lost City of Atlantis?
What happened to the Ark of the Covenant?
Why was Nord retained?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I assume Massey will be a special teams guy. He needs to watch tape of Brandon James and forget everything Nord tells him.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
You forgot to list the under-performing water boys.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I thought LB play was right up there with the worries you put off limits. UF is both young and thin at LB.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah, I read the "D" as DL and then t-gators discussion of DBs reinforced that. So I guess I get an F?
You get an A for correcting your mistake. Little t gets what he deserves. I'll give him a dislike for not following directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator