NFL denies Cowboy's request to show police support

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I may be in the minority, but I would prefer that causes, whether social, political or charitable be kept out of sports entirely. That includes arm bands, pink ribbons, decals etc.. I strongly support off the field support of good causes by sports leagues with donations of money and time, but I'd rather keep it there....off the field.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would be happy if the NFL just dealt with the players that said crazy things like that player on Cleveland I think it was.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Agree divits. Taking sides officially in a political football can be disruptive since
there is a segment of the public to be enraged by it. Maybe the NFL will allow
a sticker saying "Nobody shoot nobody" ?

But, sports' leagues (NBA) should not allow "Hands up. Don't shoot" t-shirts either.
Look what messy deconstructive stuff happened at U of Missouri. The institution
is still hurting financially by reduced enrollment = $.
These sports stars get believed like they are sociology research scientists.

Last edited:

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I may be in the minority, but I would prefer that causes, whether social, political or charitable be kept out of sports entirely. That includes arm bands, pink ribbons, decals etc.. I strongly support off the field support of good causes by sports leagues with donations of money and time, but I'd rather keep it there....off the field.

I'm with you, I would prefer to keep it off the field.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I'm in agreement with both Gator J and Divits and Huntsville on this which may seem paradoxical. In general I would keep social causes and charitable causes out of sports. Even charitable causes often have a political bent. But if there is an overwhelming tragedy that the great majority of people would want to pay remembrance to with a decal on a helmet then I would say that it would be appropriate in that case.

I am thinking here about having a decal with the number of a player who died or the initial of a coach who died. Nobody has a problem with that. American flag decals are ok with me, but even that is political in these times because, yes, there are people who take offense to that, but they are in a distinct minority.

I would be for a decal that would pay honor and support to the police. If it had been whites who killed the police, the NFL would have been o.k. with the decal. But this got too touchy for the NFL because on one side you had the Black Lives Matter crowd and the NFL did not want to offend. The NFL has become political and it tilts to the left.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Completely agree. The quote in the article stated it well. Once you do this, you open a pandora's box on all kinds of causes. Best to do the support off the field and police appropriate behavior on the field

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Wait; so it's okay for the Lambs to make a mockery of themselves with their whole hands up don't shoot bull**** last year but the Cowboys can't do this?...

Got it

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Completely agree. The quote in the article stated it well. Once you do this, you open a pandora's box on all kinds of causes. Best to do the support off the field and police appropriate behavior on the field

Guess you missed the Lambs last year

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with the NFL's decision here. There are plenty of ways for the Cowboys to show support without putting the decal on their helmets and I do understand that it becomes a pandora's box. What happens when a team wants to show support for Black Lives Matters... ? If you allow one you have to allow the other...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with keeping social issues out, but the reality is that doesn't happen and its never going to. And to ferg's point, hes dead on. The NFL is totally cool for hands up don't shoot ****tards to go out there and make an embarrassing scene, but actually showing support for LEOs who were assassinated while helping people is way out of line.

The NFL can eat a bag of diicks.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is the NFL made a distinction between the hands up and the team doing things. The hands up was an individual protest and the team doing something for the cops is an NFL brand doing something.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I agree sports and politics should not be made to mix. In this isolated case I think the NFL was correct. I think all people should be treated equally before the law; that includes police officers and civilians. Why should we honor the police who insist on being exempt from laws everyone else must follow. Why not honor innocent people killed by police?

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I agree sports and politics should not be made to mix. In this isolated case I think the NFL was correct. I think all people should be treated equally before the law; that includes police officers and civilians. Why should we honor the police who insist on being exempt from laws everyone else must follow. Why not honor innocent people killed by police?
being shot by a coward is now a crime?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome back!

But you came back to post this shyt?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is the NFL made a distinction between the hands up and the team doing things. The hands up was an individual protest and the team doing something for the cops is an NFL brand doing something.

Doug, that "hands up, don't shoot" parade & chant has been publicly expressed by largish protests
very recently and after those cops assassinations in Dallas.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm in agreement with both Gator J and Divits and Huntsville on this which may seem paradoxical. In general I would keep social causes and charitable causes out of sports. Even charitable causes often have a political bent. But if there is an overwhelming tragedy that the great majority of people would want to pay remembrance to with a decal on a helmet then I would say that it would be appropriate in that case.

I am thinking here about having a decal with the number of a player who died or the initial of a coach who died. Nobody has a problem with that. American flag decals are ok with me, but even that is political in these times because, yes, there are people who take offense to that, but they are in a distinct minority.

I would be for a decal that would pay honor and support to the police. If it had been whites who killed the police, the NFL would have been o.k. with the decal. But this got too touchy for the NFL because on one side you had the Black Lives Matter crowd and the NFL did not want to offend. The NFL has become political and it tilts to the left.

The hypocrisy on the NFL is undeniable.
I too wish the league was completely devoid of all causes but they have taken a stand, in one way or another, on every liberal causes available in the last few years but then act like they have an existing policy in place when the cause leans the other way. The "Hands up don't shoot" pregame demonstration by members of the Rams was a direct violation of their so called policy and it was based upon a complete lie to boot. We won't even get into the arm twisting of the same Rams team to draft a certain overrated defensive end a few years ago so they could tout themselves as the purveyor of change.
That is all well and good but if you even suggest any action to support law enforcement well you are clearly asking the league to violate it's non-political policy.
I stopped watching the NFL for the most part two years ago because of this crap but you guys can continue to support their garbage

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.