NFL Draft

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Sure, sure it is always the future that your perceived issue will really show up. Right. Drop that mike after all the audience is not going to applaud, so you have to pump up yourself.

? I was applauding him. Someone posted the 1st rounders and 60% were Meyer's kids.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
? I was applauding him. Someone posted the 1st rounders and 60% were Meyer's kids.

You were applauding someone for expressing your opinion. I guess if you guys denigrate the talent at UF long enough you will accept an 8 win coach coming in this year and winning 8 games against a schedule anyone should win 10 games against.

Part of the reason to demand excellence from UF football coaches is they always have talent. Really one of Foley's biggest mistakes was not understanding that UF always has talent. When hiring a football coach at UF the issue is not getting a Zook to be a great recruiting, but rather finding someone who can coach up the talent at UF. Once you coach up the talent at UF and win at UF anyone will get even more talent to come.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I agree about the OL neglect under Muschamp. Still we shall possibly see this year. There are 10 wins to be had on UF's schedule with decent coaching.

I'm not even ruling that out necessarily, though I think it's unlikely. The East is pretty sad, and we have 3 nothing games plus Uk, Usce, Mizzou and Lsu at home.

But if 10 wins were to happen, I think it would be due to coaches like Hevesy performing borderline miracles more so than us harnessing any hidden talent that's actually there but had been unrealized. Like 2005, I do expect that we'll see a Mincey/Herring/Brown type emergence from someone less heralded. And I think we can make something of the players we have and create some serviceable units. But there is still a giant talent issue at virtually every position.

To your post above, it's not about knocking kids. But our own media coverage recently talked about the dropoff at positions like Corner from the starters to the 2nd string. It's not debatable that McElwain and Shannon both felt they could take less coveted players and make something of them. Outside of a few exceptions, that has left us with major holes.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You were applauding someone for expressing your opinion. I guess if you guys denigrate the talent at UF long enough you will accept an 8 win coach coming in this year and winning 8 games against a schedule anyone should win 10 games against.

Part of the reason to demand excellence from UF football coaches is they always have talent. Really one of Foley's biggest mistakes was not understanding that UF always has talent. When hiring a football coach at UF the issue is not getting a Zook to be a great recruiting, but rather finding someone who can coach up the talent at UF. Once you coach up the talent at UF and win at UF anyone will get even more talent to come.
I don't disagree with your statement. The bottom line is that overall...stars=wins/titles There is a ton of empirical evidence that backs this truth up. Are there outliers? Sure but every national title winner since 00 has had at least one top 5 class in the preceding 4 years. Most of the winners had 2 or more. I never understood the whole "star gazer" thing when the facts are right in front of you.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't disagree with your statement. The bottom line is that overall...stars=wins/titles There is a ton of empirical evidence that backs this truth up. Are there outliers? Sure but every national title winner since 00 has had at least one top 5 class in the preceding 4 years. Most of the winners had 2 or more. I never understood the whole "star gazer" thing when the facts are right in front of you.

I have some agreement with you, but I think what you are missing here is that causality runs in both direction with recruiting ranking by self appointed experts.

For example, lets say UF wins 10 games this year like I think UF should. UF of course will probably be miles away from winning the playoffs as UF will not have a QB with experience in making decisions in big close games, will not have such experience anyway on its roster nor on its coaching staff. Still UF will have a higher ranked class in part because UF will attract higher ranked recruits AND in part because the recruits this staff like will be higher ranked.

So if a year or two down the line this staff wins the playoffs, they too will likely have had a top five class. Again some of that will be because of getting better players and some of that will be because the players UF likes will be ranked higher because they are liked by what will then be perceived as a top program.

To me the bottom line is that no amount of recruiting can make up for substandard coaching, but kids can be coached up some.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I have some agreement with you, but I think what you are missing here is that causality runs in both direction with recruiting ranking by self appointed experts.

For example, lets say UF wins 10 games this year like I think UF should. UF of course will probably be miles away from winning the playoffs as UF will not have a QB with experience in making decisions in big close games, will not have such experience anyway on its roster nor on its coaching staff. Still UF will have a higher ranked class in part because UF will attract higher ranked recruits AND in part because the recruits this staff like will be higher ranked.

So if a year or two down the line this staff wins the playoffs, they too will likely have had a top five class. Again some of that will be because of getting better players and some of that will be because the players UF likes will be ranked higher because they are liked by what will then be perceived as a top program.

To me the bottom line is that no amount of recruiting can make up for substandard coaching, but kids can be coached up some.

We borderline disagree...Jimbo won a title because of recruiting. I totally hear what you are saying. Ultimately, you probably need good coaching and stars to win it all. That's what scares me about Mullen. His track record against ranked teams is abysmal. His only real success(OC OR HC) came when he had a once in a lifetime Tebow.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Could he be yet another UDFA UF offensive skill guy to make a roster in the NFL? I am sort of guessing based on recent history that one of UF's UDFA WRs will make a roster. Never has some much offensive skill talent been wasted year after year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Could he be yet another UDFA UF offensive skill guy to make a roster in the NFL? I am sort of guessing based on recent history that one of UF's UDFA WRs will make a roster. Never has some much offensive skill talent been wasted year after year.
He certainly has a chance.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It’s because no school has ever gone 8 years without a QB, OL or OC. At least not one that I’m aware of.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It’s because no school has ever gone 8 years without a QB, OL or OC. At least not one that I’m aware of.

Sadly in the last 5 NFL drafts UF has had 7 OL selected. So while I said offensive skill positions, I think the wasted talent has been all over the offense. And you of course know that UF QB after transfering have been drafted during this time too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.