NFL Moneyball

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You have to wonder with "top" qb's getting obscene amounts of money in 2018 is it best to pay obscene money for a top qb or is it best to pay for a second tier qb and spend money on a better supporting cast. Look at the final four teams last year. If I read the cap hit correctly, none of those qb were paid in the top 10.

You might think that Brady must have been up there. He wasn't. He took a hair cut.

I'm just thinking that a smart GM may be changing the way an NFL team is configured. Or to put it another way is it as important now to have a top five qb to win the whole thing, or to have the best players around a good not great qb.

Not only that if I am an elite qb do I want to cripple the team with a contract. Or do I want to make a long run in the playoffs and make my money with increased endorsements.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You have to wonder with "top" qb's getting obscene amounts of money in 2018 is it best to pay obscene money for a top qb or is it best to pay for a second tier qb and spend money on a better supporting cast. Look at the final four teams last year. If I read the cap hit correctly, none of those qb were paid in the top 10.

You might think that Brady must have been up there. He wasn't. He took a hair cut.

I'm just thinking that a smart GM may be changing the way an NFL team is configured. Or to put it another way is it as important now to have a top five qb to win the whole thing, or to have the best players around a good not great qb.

Not only that if I am an elite qb do I want to cripple the team with a contract. Or do I want to make a long run in the playoffs and make my money with increased endorsements.

Very nice analysis, but alas endorsements are a hit or miss thing and it is not like the top endorsement earners line up exactly with record. I do think you can make a case that EVERYONE in the NFL except QBs should take all the money they can get as their career are on average so short.

As far as getting a QB, it is probably better to find one other than via a high draft pick. That allows you to have a balanced salary structure. Also I tend to agree that the logical way to win is with a good but not the best QB in the league. Sadly fan bases and the mediots that feed them information focus only on QBs, so it takes a very tough minded GM to build a team the way you suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.