Game Thread NFL simplifies catch rule, penalizes lowering the head

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Remember this controversial non-catch by Dez Bryant in 2014 (1:16 mark)? It's now a catch.

NFL owners on Tuesday unanimously approved simplifying the catch rule to make it no longer necessary to have possession of the ball while falling to the ground.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22931857/nfl-owners-approve-new-catch-rule-32-0-vote

Also, lowering the head to initiate contact will now result in a 15-yard penalty or ejection.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...es-rule-lowering-head-initiate-contact-helmet

Football is changing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Football is changing.
Football is changing back.

Think in the leather or no helmet days that players lead with their head all the time? No, they tackled instead of spearing each other every play.

The game would be safer still if they took the helmets (and maybe pads) off altogether.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Catch rule should have been changed 4 years ago, and the VP of officiating admitted to the officals no following the rule as it was written for the Super Bowl because they knew it was a bad rule. Think the Patriots have something to complain about?

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...d-Super-Bowl-catch-rule-differently-116754835

Fck the Eagles

MQPIw2F.gif

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So you can't lower your head but you can lower your body to one knee during the anthem.

Sounds about right for the NFL

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Due to the protests, I didn't watch the NFL last season for the first time in my life since I was about 8. Cancelled the NFL Ticket from DirecTV too.

Didn't miss it.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Due to the protests, I didn't watch the NFL last season for the first time in my life since I was about 8. Cancelled the NFL Ticket from DirecTV too.

Didn't miss it.

Same here Gator Tom. I didn't watch and I didn't miss it.

The owners better get control of their businesses quickly before more Americans get the wake up call and realize what they are promoting if they continue to watch.
Once people stop watching they will realize how meaningless the games and the league are in their lives.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I assume that my changing the direction of this thread will anger some but you must understand that when you mention the NFL in any post, I think of one thing.....protests against this great country.

I did not cause this problem, I merely reacted to it.

Sorry if I spoil your fun, they spoiled mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator