Nice Video Feature on Townsend and Piniero

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
You know we're in bad shape when we have to feature our kicking squad.

Would you prefer not having anything to feature other than being the 'opposition' in everyone else's highlight reels?

And how many teams in the past decade can say they had great punting AND field goal kicking? It is something to be proud of.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac did a good job getting Eddie here. That's a huge leap considering where we were last year. Now if he could hire someone that can coach ST and recruit, we'd be another step in the right direction. The coverage teams are good, but that is perhaps a result of the kickers. However, the return teams suck ash!

Last edited:

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Would you prefer not having anything to feature other than being the 'opposition' in everyone else's highlight reels?.
What a ridiculous question, but I'll indulge. You know what I want? I want a team where the kicking squad is an after thought because we get it done on offense and defense. That's what I want and I would hope you feel the same way.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I agree, but it's not what we've had for a long time. Having a kicking game is a step up from where we've been.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
What a ridiculous question, but I'll indulge. You know what I want? I want a team where the kicking squad is an after thought because we get it done on offense and defense. That's what I want and I would hope you feel the same way.
Because TLB specifically said he said he didn't want a good offense and defense. :rolleyes4:
Speaking of defense:
Florida leads the SEC in nearly all the major defensive categories: scoring defense, total defense, passing defense, passing efficiency defense, red zone defense, third down defense and of course interceptions. And even after a rare week with no sacks, the Gators still sit third in the league in quarterback drops. Florida also leads the nation in passing efficiency defense, is second in scoring defense and passing defense, and is third in the country in total defense and red zone defense, while also representing in the top-10 in third down defense and interceptions.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Speaking of defense:
Florida leads the SEC in nearly all the major defensive categories: scoring defense, total defense, passing defense, passing efficiency defense, red zone defense, third down defense and of course interceptions. And even after a rare week with no sacks, the Gators still sit third in the league in quarterback drops. Florida also leads the nation in passing efficiency defense, is second in scoring defense and passing defense, and is third in the country in total defense and red zone defense, while also representing in the top-10 in third down defense and interceptions.

This is why I cant simply trash sidehat like many do. He has his weakness for sure but he doesnt suck.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Because TLB specifically said he said he didn't want a good offense AND defense.
Those stats are great, but with all do respect to the D, the opposition has been poor and they failed miserably in the second half of the Tennessee game, their only true challenge thus far. Lets revisit this conversation again on Nov. 27th.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is why I cant simply trash sidehat like many do. He has his weakness for sure but he doesnt suck.

I think most people's beef with him is in recruiting. I agree with you, I think he's a pretty good defense coach, but we haven't done so great bringing in new top talent lately. When Muschamp's studs leave after this year, we're going to find out just how good of a coach he is, because the talent that's left after those guys leave, are gonna need a lot of coaching. It's easy to point a bunch of 4* and 5* Juniors and Seniors toward the field and tell them to "go get it", but the 3* Sophmores he'll have to work with next year won't be able to just go out and out play the other team because they're better athletes.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think most people's beef with him is in recruiting. I agree with you, I think he's a pretty good defense coach, but we haven't done so great bringing in new top talent lately. When Muschamp's studs leave after this year, we're going to find out just how good of a coach he is, because the talent that's left after those guys leave, are gonna need a lot of coaching. It's easy to point a bunch of 4* and 5* Juniors and Seniors toward the field and tell them to "go get it", but the 3* Sophmores he'll have to work with next year won't be able to just go out and out play the other team because they're better athletes.

Scary thought actually....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Those stats are great, but with all do respect to the D, the opposition has been poor and they failed miserably in the second half of the Tennessee game, their only true challenge thus far. Lets revisit this conversation again on Nov. 27th.
And Nov 27th you'll still be saying the opposition was poor.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
A horrible kicking game can derail a great team's season. Hell, Bama would have another national title if their kicker wasn't an abomination in '13. Think about how fortunate we were to win the title in '06 despite Chris Hetland missing basically every kick past 30 yards.

Not only that, a big part of our success in '12 was directly linked to Christy and Sturgis. In the college game, having a great kicking game goes a long, long way.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Pick a halfway decent coach ... how would he have fared just with Tebow ? with TT and Harvin ?
then go on and add all those other player components = so how much success is tied to recruiting
i.e. having our incoming better than other schools' incoming ? Our guys need to study recruiting as a
sales science. Convincing sales pitches have to be learnable. Gotta have the on-field product that hopeful
recruits can dream on. ?? UF has a great School of Marketing where such is distilled to "pure science".
Any coaches ever think of recruiting any of those guys' ideas ? All of it has to fall together to a good extent
= sports-world news of UF having a great NFL-signing class, having a string of big-wins seasons, string of
Top-10 signing classes, ESPN vids of jubilant Gator players, etc. etc. All those elements very rarely fall into
place quickly.

Many "realists" say: "Luck has nothing to do with it !" Well, look at the reverse = last 2 years and on Muschamp
is one of the higher paid coaches around." Muckchump thinks he can sell wicker furniture to a nudist colony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator