Nick Saban retires, replaced with DeBoer; elite players fleeing by the hour

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Didn’t Auburn just try the same thing?

They hired a winning coach from the upper mid west and it ended before it started.
Auburn hired Boise States coach who hasn't won shyt. Bammer just hired a coach with a damn near a . 900 career winning percentage who just played in the national championship in his second year with a team ranking composite in the mid 30's. I know you never wanna be the guy to follow a legend but I believe they knocked it out of the park. But he better be searching for a QB that can run his system because Milroe damn sure can't.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Auburn hired Boise States coach who hasn't won shyt. Bammer just hired a coach with a damn near a . 900 career winning percentage who just played in the national championship in his second year with a team ranking composite in the mid 30's. I know you never wanna be the guy to follow a legend but I believe they knocked it out of the park. But he better be searching for a QB that can run his system because Milroe damn sure can't.
Milroe’s definitely got a lot of work to do to make those reads NOW like Penix did. A lot is pre-snap, familiarity with how the routes mesh with the coverage read..Might take a while. Be interesting to see what DeBoer can do as well as who winds up following him (not necessarily from UW).

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This sucks in more ways than one. I had grubb as candidate for us next year. I imagine Washington will probably hire him now.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Style of play will translate just fine. Its the relationships with the high school coaches and such that need to translate.
Unless HS coaches are getting NIL money it doesn’t matter. In the new game it’s only dollars and cents. If you can bring the dollars, your school makes sense.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Unless HS coaches are getting NIL money it doesn’t matter. In the new game it’s only dollars and cents. If you can bring the dollars, your school makes sense.
In terms of what the kids think, yes. Most of them have never had anything, making the dollars more attractive, even intoxicating. And add looking at a program/coach/brand getting them into the NFL.

Wiser heads will (or should) counsel taking a longer view in how they handle the NIL money and preparing for life after football. It’s not either/or. It’s all that and more.

I’m pretty sure UF is doing that, for which I’m happy, but we’re stuck on the middle to low side of the 2nd tier in terms of recruiting and less results on the field. I don’t think we need to out-spend everyone (see aTm, USC, scUM) but that organization and on-field coaching have to feed off each other way better than they have.

Lagway, McCray & Graham are keys to that happening.

I want Billy to succeed, not kind of sort of improve: 8-9 wins this year, 10-13 next year and following. Unlikely, but that’s where I am.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
As much as we all hope Doc’s prediction doesn’t come true, what we’ve seen of the program, the “process” if you will, tells us the probability is higher than us winning enough games to not run up a third consecutive losing season. Could Lagway be the difference maker? Possibly, depending on how much play he actually gets and whether we can find a way to keep him from getting killed by the opponent’s rush.
Or he goes in the portal...

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
That's just what the Georgia legislature is considering this Spring Session...it will probably pass too

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Man we won’t be able to razz ox about Billy if he shuts this place down. Can’t we at least wait to see if your 10 win prediction next year happens ?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who gives a **** where he’s from? The man was something like 70-2 at the NAIA level. Won perhaps the toughest league in CFB this season in year two going undefeated ! They beat Oregon twice ! !!! then won a playoff game . Clearly the next Harson and it goes without saying will forget how to coach football since he will be living just west of Birmingham. I expect his record and time at Bama to be reflection of what we were under Urban.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Ok, Yes, very high career winning %.
However, 67-3 at..."Sioux Falls".

He's never sat foot, career wise, in the SEC. Think what you want but, in the SEC, that's a liability.
That was his players jawing with Texas fans about how they "rule the South".

Guy seems to be a true diamond, coaching wise and especially on paper. If I'm laying odds right now, I'm propping up Texas and Ga., and Bama is going to slide down to SEC second tier level with Tennessee, Auburn, Oklahoma, A&M, and Mizzou.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Yep, same thing was said about UM on his way to UF. Now we beggin him to come baaaack!
True
I don’t think Saban is going to vanish. I believe he will be around just enough, and keep some of his process staff to help this transition.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've had 15 years and we still can't hire a competent coach. It only took bama 2 days
Major college FBS Football is important to the University of Alabama President. Our Athletic Director reports directly to our University President. Major College Football at The University of Florida has not been a high priority to our University President since the Mormon Dentist Machen tried to ban alcohol from on campus tailgating and stopped considering legacy as a factor for admission to our beloved University.

The situation has further deteriorated with every subsequent egghead President like Fuchs who fell for Stricklin’s recommendation to ban the use of our time honored cheer of “Gator Bait” based on some idiot researcher from Texas A & M who wrote a paper relating it to pickannies in some obscure way as if anyone even knows what a damn pickannie is in this day and time.

Bottom line is Major College Football is just not important enough to our University President who is the final decision maker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator