North Texas State Fake Fair Catch Fools Arkansas For A Touchdown

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by Okeechobee Joe, Sep 16, 2018 at 11:31 AM.

1. Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,181
    Ratings:
    +6,640 / -17

I know you all saw this, but trick plays are still fun to watch again. Everybody had to be in on it for it to work. Good job by the refs not to blow the whistle. The North Texas punt returner says the Arkansas defender nearest to him actually asked him "why aren't they blowing the whistle" . Arkansas embarrassed at home. This is an SEC team that lost to Colorado State after leading 27 - 9 late in the third quarter.

Speaking of Colorado State Coach Mike Bobo didn't look physically well on the sidelines yesterday. He was in the hospital and diagnosed with some type of auto-immune disorder that has produced a peripheral neuropathy manifested by numbness in his feet. His dad has moved to Fort Collins to help him out with things.

• FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $782
      Ratings:
      +2,050 / -62
      Kudos to North Vermont Daytona Tech Institute Assumption Word College State for pulling off that play by knowing when to use it, which was in an area of the field where 90% of the punts are fair caught, unless you are Antonio Calloway. Be that as it may, that is the epitome of a horrendously coached ARKY team in the basics of Football. Besides having 11 men on the field, you play until you hear a WHISTLE!!!! Hello, McFly. Shows that there is nothing to small when it comes to Attention To Detail! I am assuming Bert is not looking so bad to some of those fat Hogs fans right about now.

• stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,074
      Ratings:
      +6,073 / -310
      Dooley did a column on him Saturday. Very tough for him. His dad is helping him a lot. Cannot dog pile on this dog. He was hurting and looks uncomfortable out there.........

• InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,596
        Ratings:
        +2,537 / -99
        I think the officials should have blown that play dead when the runner did not attempt to advance the ball. Further I think North Texas should have been penalized for unsportsman like conduct.

This is a blatant taking advantage of the defense being hamstrung by all the safety rules. It was poor sportsmanship on their part in my view.

• Facepalm Facepalm x 3
        • Dislike Dislike x 2
        • List
        • gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $260
          Ratings:
          +260 / -5
          Where do you see the guy giving the signal for the fair catch in that play? He didn't.

It was a dumb play by the Arkansas special teams, not anything unsportsmanlike from North Texas.

• InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,596
            Ratings:
            +2,537 / -99
            Again when all or most by a vast majority of the burden to take hits on defenseless players out of the ball game falls on the defense, then the offense running such plays at this are unsportsman like as can be. Heck I would take it further and argue the North Texas return man and coach should have been thrown out of the game.

• gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $260
            Ratings:
            +260 / -5
            Now you're just being ridiculous.

The rule to signal a fair catch is you have to wave your hand above your head...and if you looked at the play: the return man never did it. He went over to catch the ball *without* waving his hand above his head.

It was a fair play by North Texas and there was nothing bush league about it. I don't know why people are saying it was a "trick play" because it wasn't: the return man did what he was legally allowed to do. Blame it on the Arkansas special teams for stopping and not paying attention.

• FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $782
              Ratings:
              +2,050 / -62
              There was nothing illegal about the play, but what INSTI is saying, I believe, is that he feels as tho the call should have been made that the runner was technically "giving himself up" by not moving. In the NFL a runner gives himself up by taking a knee (while technically not down in the NFL due to not being touched). A runner can't voluntarily take a knee in the field of play in the NFL, go untouched, and then begin advancing the ball again. I believe INSTI feels that since in college a knee on the ground makes the runner down, the act of not moving constitutes voluntarily giving yourself up. Not in the rules but an interesting view.

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $982
              Ratings:
              +3,817 / -2
              This type of thing used to be how the little guys made a chance against bigger opponents. Glad to see it is alive and well even though Arky isn't proving to necessarily be a bigger opponent.

• Alumni Guy

Alumni Guy Newbie

Oxbucks:
                $635
                Ratings:
                +1,171 / -22
                Serious risk that it works. If arky realizes no fair catch signal was made, the return guy is going to be reduced to a stain on the field when the play is over.

• biggator6

biggator6 Junior Member

Oxbucks:
                  $113
                  Ratings:
                  +373 / -13
                  Remember when Rainey pretended to put his knee down and took off? yeah, good times.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                    $1,471
                    Ratings:
                    +1,590 / -180
                    I'm all for a trick play, but I agree that I don't like this. When youre on a punt team, there's always a moment when the ball is in the air and you're not looking at the returner. You assume there's a chance that you didn't see him signal so you really go by his body language and your teammates' calls (if they do it). Just seems you're taking advantage of the other team being safe.

Buuuttt...I don't think people should be thrown out. lol, that's fuqqing ridiculous.

• GR8 2B

GR8 2B A Florida Gator
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,579
                      Ratings:
                      +1,939 / -32
                      That was an unnecessarily dangerous play by the receiver. Imagine how badly he could have been drilled had any Arkansas player recognized that he hadn't called a fair catch. What do you think Lawrence Wright might have done to him?

• itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $2,079
                      Ratings:
                      +8,533 / -44
                      :facepalm:

• itsgr82bag8r

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $2,079
                      Ratings:
                      +8,533 / -44
                      In college he CAN take a knee to give himself up. He did no such thing.

Lots of “feelings” being displayed in here en lieu of simple rule application.

• itsgr82bag8r

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $2,079
                        Ratings:
                        +8,533 / -44
                        Wait, so now we’re worried about hurting a player who willfully tries to deceive the defense by a player on the defense? WTF?

If he’s willing to take the chance for a successful trick play, then tough shat if he gets his clock cleaned in the process.

• GR8 2B

GR8 2B A Florida Gator
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $1,579
                          Ratings:
                          +1,939 / -32
                          I'm not "worried" about him getting hurt - that's part of the game. I think it was incredibly reckless, both personally for him and for the team. The potential for serious injury is obvious. On top of that, does anyone think he would have held on to the ball if he'd been cut in half by a ST gunner? That would have been a TD for Arky. It was dumb. Good for him that he got away with it.

• Marine1

Marine1 Semper Fidelis

Oxbucks:
                          $1,370
                          Ratings:
                          +1,980 / -13
                          It’s like the hidden ball play in baseball. Works every year from little league to the majors.

Attention to detail....it’s important.

• ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix Feeling the Buzz
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $913
                            Ratings:
                            +8,326 / -149
                            Arkansas not aware of rules. Obvious fix is to change the rules. :facepalm:

• InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $1,596
                              Ratings:
                              +2,537 / -99
                              I believe in college football they already penalize a player offense or defense who continues to play after their helmet is knocked off.

I really view this as similar to the offensive player often a QB who runs hard towards the sideline like he is going out of bound but then at the last second turns up field while the defender trying to avoid an out of bounds hit is left to be yelled at by his coach. That too should be an unsportsman like foul.