Nuss - 13th best OC in SEC

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Opinions usually mean nothing but .........

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We need to turn this around.

We rank second in the SEC in bad offense!

That sounds much better

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Unlucky number 13! Does Mac or Nuss have a black cat?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It always amazes me how coaches who have time and again shown that they are failures continue to get high paying jobs to do exactly what they have failed at. It happens in coaching more than any other profession I can think of other than politics.

You'll notice that another failure working for another failure is listed at number 12.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I by no means think Nuss is a great OC, but the biggest problem is QB and OL play. We have guys running open off of average at best route running. I really think the system is good enough to have almost anyone running it.

That said, we have been play low margin of error football, and Nuss isn't good in that position. What we really need is someone as good as Nuss or better but who can recruit. Then let Mac make the tough decisions on offensive drives.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
It always amazes me how coaches who have time and again shown that they are failures continue to get high paying jobs to do exactly what they have failed at. It happens in coaching more than any other profession I can think of other than politics.

You'll notice that another failure working for another failure is listed at number 12.

Yes. See Charlie Weis.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
This article says all you need to know...

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/ranking-sec-offensive-coordinators-2016/

if Nuss is replaced next year, it's only because Mac will be too.
He's not going anywhere. He might be a little dense at times on his play calling, such as 67% of the time calling a pass after a run, or a run after a pass, but he would look a lot better if he had a QB. What get's me about the guy is that he makes horrible calls at the wrong time. But he will be there next year at OC, along with Mac.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
stock-photo-scrape-the-bottom-of-the-barrel-handwritten-chalk-text-on-black-chalkboard-509214781.jpg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
13. Doug Nussmeier, Florida: And this guy won a division title … somehow. The year before Nussmeier took over, Florida scored 30.3 points and managed 368 yards per game. Sure, that team was 7-5, but in two years, Nuss has dragged those numbers down to 23.4 ppg and 345.1 ypg — and that’s when being paired with the second-best defense in the league. Florida was worst in the league in rushing, which is inexcusable. If this doesn’t get cleaned up, Jim McElwain will be replacing Nussmeier. Maybe next year.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
He's not going anywhere. He might be a little dense at times on his play calling, such as 67% of the time calling a pass after a run, or a run after a pass, but he would look a lot better if he had a QB. What get's me about the guy is that he makes horrible calls at the wrong time. But he will be there next year at OC, along with Mac.
Yeah horrible calls like trying to run up the middle on Bama when we get it down to the 2 yard line by throwing it. I didn't mind the jet sweep call down there but to try to run up the middle on that brick wall when you hadn't been able all game long was stupid. I'm not saying he don't call some good plays at times, he just don't seem to have a "feel" for calling the right play at the right time.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I by no means think Nuss is a great OC, but the biggest problem is QB and OL play. We have guys running open off of average at best route running. I really think the system is good enough to have almost anyone running it.

That said, we have been play low margin of error football, and Nuss isn't good in that position. What we really need is someone as good as Nuss or better but who can recruit. Then let Mac make the tough decisions on offensive drives.
I have read internet reports from anonymous defensive coaches within the SEC stating that part of the reason for what appears to be open receivers on Florida's pass plays is b/c a lot of the defenses we face sell out to stop the run knowing florida qb's cant hit water from a rowboat. Secondary's play soft zone schemes and add an extra run stopper in the box b/c they know we aren't going to hurt them through the air save an occasional fluke play here and there. I can't attest to the validity of this, obviously, but it doesn't shock me to have heard it stated.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Volnation isn't going to like DeBord's ranking. lol

I don't put the blame on Nuss. I place it all on Mac's shoulders. How is it guys like Fedora or Sumlin can have success with below average QBs? Look what happened with Driskel. Why did he play so well his senior year? He was in a system that required little from him. Oregon has been running the same system since 2009 and every QB is successful. This is on Mac.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I have read internet reports from anonymous defensive coaches within the SEC stating that part of the reason for what appears to be open receivers on Florida's pass plays is b/c a lot of the defenses we face sell out to stop the run knowing florida qb's cant hit water from a rowboat. Secondary's play soft zone schemes and add an extra run stopper in the box b/c they know we aren't going to hurt them through the air save an occasional fluke play here and there. I can't attest to the validity of this, obviously, but it doesn't shock me to have heard it stated.
got em right where we want em...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator