Nuss linked to Fresno State Job

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yep... I remember us struggling in alot of close games in his first 2 yrs before we started dragging folks ass! In my opinion Nuss is the best OC we've had since Mullen so hopefully he'll stick around for at least one more year.

And they are both worse that Zook's last OC, Fedora.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's not the going conservative, it's the actual play calling. When you need a yard, why pull a guard (especially when your line hasn't shown the ability to pull in the first 3 games). He gets too cute too often with players who can't. If you know your players can't handle the play call, don't call the play. Some of it is execution, but a lot of it is play calling. When we are talking about he scripted plays, the first 15 plays in the game. it's pretty decent to good, when it goes to making adjustments and the regular flow of the game it's horrific.

Doug has a very valid point. I've also found myself scratching my head at some of the play calls. At the same time, I feel like we've been seeing this kind of ridiculous play calls a lot over the past 8 years. It hasn't just been Nuss. There seems to be a bit of an ego thing going around the coaching industry these days. Lotta "I'm gonna call the play I want, regardless of whether my players can actually execute the play or not".

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
In your heart you know that Kiffin is the logical choice.

I feel dirty even reading that, if I read it right as Kiffin replacing Nuss at UF. I'd vomit.

The Fresno job is Lane Kiffin's to lose. He's been linked to that job as early as this past week.

Alumnus, but I doubt they can afford him and I doubt he is willing to leave the second row spotlights for a backwoods opportunity that nobody will see him at.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Major Applewhite?

Getting warmer on a replacement for Nuss. I'm thinking more like Greg McElroy, given the man love he keeps showing Mac. Similar to Applewhite's journeyman job as OC for Texas, I could see Mac possibly giving McElroy a growing opportunity. However, if this happened, it would be a sure sign that Mac has no clue to the importance of this program or it's expectations and they'd both be fired half way thru the season UNLESS they were winning every game by 50+ pts.

If Nuss leaves, what are the odds that SOS tells Mac...."you know coach, I had some luck calling my own plays, maybe you should try it"

Or, SOS finds an outlet for his boredom by becoming OC. It spares him the HC responsibilities. But we'd still need someone to pick up the offensive recruiting because SOS ain't got time for that.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
It's not the going conservative, it's the actual play calling. When you need a yard, why pull a guard (especially when your line hasn't shown the ability to pull in the first 3 games). He gets too cute too often with players who can't. If you know your players can't handle the play call, don't call the play. Some of it is execution, but a lot of it is play calling. When we are talking about he scripted plays, the first 15 plays in the game. it's pretty decent to good, when it goes to making adjustments and the regular flow of the game it's horrific.

I wish I could like that more than once.

Remember that time we pulled the guard and it didn't work? That was a bad play.

You mean the time where two OL pulled and blocked each other. Good times, man. Good times.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This offensive line is not strong enough to ever go conservative, unless the game is out of reach. Hell, Butch and UT went conservative the year before with only 10 minutes left and paid dearly.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They hired Tedford? God is not smiling on the Gators.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A pass play for a 4 yard loss is very conservative play calling.

You do realize there are generally 3-4 options for the QB to throw to, right? It's up to the QB to read the coverage and throw to the guy that can get enough separation or positional advantage to make a completion likely. Not all options are open to throw to every pass play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator